Year 11 and already stressed about ATAR... (1 Viewer)

justjaxson

HSC
This is my first post here and I want you guys to be nice and realistic. I'm only in year 11 and I want to study law at Macquarie; the way I figure it is that I need 91 to get in so i can get 5 bonus points for living where I do (Macquarie law is around 96). I'm getting a little worried because I don't know what to think, just because I rank well amongst my colleagues doesn't mean I will do well against private schoolers in Sydney etc.. Here are my subjects with my year round ranking and the mark from my last assessment (Not formal exam).

Legal Studies- Rank-1/15 Assessment-22/25
Studies of Religion II- Rank-3/81 Assessment- 29/30
Advanced English- Rank- 3/25 Assessment- 13/15
Extension English- Rank- 3/6 Assessment- 16/20
Drama- Rank 1/7 Assessment- 25/30
Modern History- Rank- 1/26 Assessment- 42/45
General Maths- Rank not sure Assessment- dropping it anyway i'm bad at maths

I plan on dropping Gen Maths next year and starting History Extension to give me 12 HSC units. The Modern assessment was an individual research task similar to the his ext course (I did Mussolini) and I was wondering: Will my work load be too big next year? Do you think I will get desired ATAR? Am I a complete idiot for even thinking I can do law? Help me please guys, and be gentle. ... :tongue:

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
This is my first post here and I want you guys to be nice and realistic. I'm only in year 11 and I want to study law at Macquarie; the way I figure it is that I need 91 to get in so i can get 5 bonus points for living where I do (Macquarie law is around 96). I'm getting a little worried because I don't know what to think, just because I rank well amongst my colleagues doesn't mean I will do well against private schoolers in Sydney etc.. Here are my subjects with my year round ranking and the mark from my last assessment (Not formal exam).

Legal Studies- Rank-1/15 Assessment-22/25
Studies of Religion II- Rank-3/81 Assessment- 29/30
Advanced English- Rank- 3/25 Assessment- 13/15
Extension English- Rank- 3/6 Assessment- 16/20
Drama- Rank 1/7 Assessment- 25/30
Modern History- Rank- 1/26 Assessment- 42/45
General Maths- Rank not sure Assessment- dropping it anyway i'm bad at maths

I plan on dropping Gen Maths next year and starting History Extension to give me 12 HSC units. The Modern assessment was an individual research task similar to the his ext course (I did Mussolini) and I was wondering: Will my work load be too big next year? Do you think I will get desired ATAR? Am I a complete idiot for even thinking I can do law? Help me please guys, and be gentle. ... :tongue:
School rank?

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
I'm in year 12 and I'm not stressing... No you're not an idiot for thinking of doing law. You've got a whole year to improve, so it depends on your determination/motivation if you can achieve your atar goal. I've seen people doing 14 units (They're doing good) so you should be able to handle 12 units...Although it depends on the individual so it's up to you how you handle the workload. If you put in effort consistently throughout the year, then there is no reason for the workload to be excessive.

justjaxson

HSC
What do you mean by school rank? The rank is where I'm ranked in the class and the other is my mark.

DavidxC

HSC
What do you mean by school rank? The rank is where I'm ranked in the class and the other is my mark.
Hes asking for your school ranking, like what is it ranked against other schools. Because it may affected your overall atar

BRegs

HSC
I'm doing 12U for the HSC .. (Adv. English, Ancient History, Legal Studies, SOR2U, Food Tech, Gen. Maths). The workload is intense, and will require a bit more effort than those who are on 10 units, but for me, I felt it was a better option. A lot of the teachers who were teaching me at the time also suggested I stay on 12. I'm not doing too poorly in them either (12/69 for Advanced, 2/68 for Legal, 1st for SOR, Food Tech, Ancient, and 4/138 for Gen.). It's all about how you apply yourself. I also work two jobs (Coles and on-air at a radio station), so I HAVE TO ENSURE that I make use of time well. That's the key to success, especially if you're on 12U.

Good luck man - you'll be fine!

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Are you sure they will give you bonus points? I thought this wasn't the case for law and med, even for EAS type schemes.

justjaxson

HSC
Are you sure they will give you bonus points? I thought this wasn't the case for law and med, even for EAS type schemes.
Woops looks like you're right, oh well may have to set my goals lower or try harder :chainsaw:

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Woops looks like you're right, oh well may have to set my goals lower or try harder :chainsaw:
It's not the end of the world, uni's offer flexibility. Do business first year, get good marks and try and transfer over to business/law in your second year. It won't be easy, but it is an opportunity nonetheless.

justjaxson

HSC
Do you know how easy it is to enrol post-graduate? Does simply having a degree give you a massive chance of getting in or is it a hit or miss situation?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Do you know how easy it is to enrol post-graduate? Does simply having a degree give you a massive chance of getting in or is it a hit or miss situation?
Post grad, meaning JD? I was talking about transferring 2nd year of your undergraduate course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)