dropping to 10 units to bring up english? (1 Viewer)

swagmeister

HSC
I know it's another 10 or 12 unit post but I haven't found any people in a similar situation to me, any help would be heaps appreciated.

Aiming for an ATAR of 90.

School rank: 200

Subjects in prelim:

Adv English (rank 18/45, average 70%)

General Maths (rank 1/60, average 95%)

Economics (rank 1/20, average 94%)

Business Studies (rank 1/32, average 95%)

IPT (rank 1/12, average 96%)

SDD (rank 1/23, average 91% - stu)

Why I want to drop:

Starting the HSC courses and to be honest I am overwhelmed with all the content I have to cover and also I really need to get my English mark up cause it definitely will count for my ATAR, so I am thinking of dropping another subject so I can spend most of those lessons doing English and hopefully get at least rank 10/45 for it.

I have heard the '12 units is risky' logic but I think that that would be more geared to people that want say an atar of 99, because then small differences in marks matter compared to aiming for a 90 ATAR.

Hard to work out what subject to drop because I am rank 1 in all of them except English, but thinking SDD because a) I enjoy it the least cause of all the software theory b) it is an online course c) there is a major work d) content is overwhelming and cause I enjoy it the least it is hard to stay productive with it, not sure if I will be able to stay motivated to keep the rank 1 this year

I am passionate about business, eco and ipt and really enjoy general maths so I think that dropping SDD would allow me to bring up my marks as a whole - especially english, but is it still too risky even with an ATAR goal of 90?

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
Heyo! First of all congrats on your AMAZING ranks and marks, what a beast haha
To help you with your problem I think it would be beneficial for you to drop SDD because you're performing consistently well in your other subjects and itll allow you more time to work on english which, like you said will definitely count! Keeping your atar aim and marks in mind I dont think youd have much to worry about with 10 units as youre already performing really well :) good luck and keep up the hard work!

swagmeister

HSC
Heyo! First of all congrats on your AMAZING ranks and marks, what a beast haha
To help you with your problem I think it would be beneficial for you to drop SDD because you're performing consistently well in your other subjects and itll allow you more time to work on english which, like you said will definitely count! Keeping your atar aim and marks in mind I dont think youd have much to worry about with 10 units as you're already performing really well :) good luck and keep up the hard work!
Haha thanks, don't know how I have done so well - guess cause I am passionate about my subjects (minus english which I find quite subjective, but working on that) and pay heaps of attention in class cause to be honest in prelims I averaged around 20-30mins of homework a night but I am ramping that up this year with 90-120mins of focused high intensity work and making my own full sets of notes based on the syllabus and doing a pp for every subject per week on the things we've covered as well as essays for english and the humanities. The games begin haha! #gonnagetdatband6

Thanks so much for your help!!! Yup I think that is the way I will go, now just to convince my online SDD teacher that although I would be getting a pretty sick band 6 result if I kept up the rank 1/24 it doesn't make sense for me to keep SDD in order to maximise my ATAR! ahhh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)