Standard English Scaling (1 Viewer)

NivinSubbanna

HSC
ok. so ive been reading reading up on hsc scaling and ive discovered that standard english scales horribly. im aiming for an atar of 95 and i want to know if that atar is possible doing standard english. My other subjects are physics, chem, business studies, multimedia and 3 unit math. Thanks in advance :D

turntaker

HSC
yes it is possible. My sibling did standard english got 95+ with 4 unit maths.

harvey1997

HSC
N/A
hey!

i did standard english (hsc 2014) and i regret it!! i am very getting good results in english in a good ranked school however i wish i did advanced!! i had a tutor to help me with english in which i have excelled and in saying that i wish i did advanced (the thing that stopped me was that i didnt want to do shakespeare)

Advanced scales so much better! standard is bringing down my atar and its killing me

i would advise you to do advanced and have a tutor if need be to get the best possible atar as only 0.15% of the state gets a band 6 in standard englihs so its VERY hard!! however do standard if you are confident and feel you can get a band 6 (it is WAY WAY easier to get a band 6 in advanced though)
do whatever you feel is best! :)

NivinSubbanna

HSC
i dont plan on doing 4 unit though. is it still possible to get 95 atar?. coz im actually getting worried lol

harvey1997

HSC
N/A
yes i just finished! hoping for a band 5 in english but i think i could have achieved a band 6 in advanced which is annoying (due to the poor scaling of standard)

good luck for your hsc! :)

NivinSubbanna

HSC
Alright. Cool, ill see what i can do (i could probably worm my way into advanced class before next year starts), and thanks for the advice guys :). and thanks harvey XD (ill need it :p )

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Standard scales similarly to Advanced.

However Standard aligns terribly in comparison to Advanced...

HSC
None of you know what you're on about. Standard and advanced english have very similar scaling.

It's the aligning that makes standard bad.

Standard English is not an ATAR killer, stop spreading wrong information.

harvey1997

HSC
N/A
true
but you have to ACE standard to get a band 6 as its very difficult - way easier to get a band 6 in advanced.. just saying

harvey1997

HSC
N/A
NivinSubbanna i think you should do whatever you feel is best! :) talk to your teachers etc and people you know you have done the hsc!

dont make any rushed decisions - think about it over the sumer holdiays!

photastic

HSC
Someone got 97 atar with standard english without any extension subjects or science.

NivinSubbanna

HSC
so with my subjects (and assuming i go to advanced english and get a band 5) and achieve band 6s in most of my other subjects, would i get atar of 95? or would i need consistent band 6's?
(and everyone i know who has done the hsc already has done advanced lol)

photastic

HSC
so with my subjects (and assuming i go to advanced english and get a band 5) and achieve band 6s in most of my other subjects, would i get atar of 95? or would i need consistent band 6's?
(and everyone i know who has done the hsc already has done advanced lol)
If this happened its definitely a 97+ atar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)