What you need for a 99 atar (for asian subjects) (1 Viewer)

studynerd

HSC
So, the new school year is about to start and since i have an english essay due on the first day back.. i thought...what better time then now to look at how hard i have to work:lol::lol:

My journey began by typing "Atar Calculator".. 'cus thats what i do when i don't want to work nor feel as tho i'm procrastinating :awesome:

I went to the talent 100 calculator for the first time because the whole matrix app is boring... and thats when i saw it! The awesome graph of how subjects scale!!! i got all excited and played with it.. and here i am.. after two hours and no essay... i made an excel sheet on how many people (according to talent 100s old data) get 99+ atar. Don't get excited, i didn't do anything.... just typed in a few numbers from their website :lol::lol: I did this mostly so i could tell myself i did something for the good of mankind instead of doing that essay Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 9.54.58 pm.pngScreen Shot 2015-01-26 at 9.41.37 pm.png

soooo.. if you don't understand what the above pictures represent... basically.. if only english advanced counted as your atar and you wanted a 99+.. then you would need 92.5 as a hsc mark, and 1525.888 people would have achieved this.. (just to be clear, you can't have 88.8% of a person.. just being pedantic[emoji4] )

Also, there are some official documents in the uac website.. one of the key info i found: in the 2014 hsc, 926 students got an atar of 99+

There's a whole table here if you are aiming for something higher:lol:

A few more documents from the uac that i found to be.. interesting: Descriptive statistics and selected percentiles for HSC marks and scaled marks by course , Distributions of 2014 HSC marks by course

Now, I will sleep. And tomorrow, i will do my essay.

Last edited:

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
LOL, I don't really believe in 'These certain subjects will gain you this', merely because I have seen people do 'non-Asian subjects' and still do well to achieve a 99+ ATAR

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
LOL, I don't really believe in 'These certain subjects will gain you this', merely because I have seen people do 'non-Asian subjects' and still do well to achieve a 99+ ATAR
Agreed. I know kids that did General maths, VA and Society and Culture and managed to get an ATAR of 99.25. It's how hard one works, and the effort put.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Agreed. I know kids that did General maths, VA and Society and Culture and managed to get an ATAR of 99.25. It's how hard one works, and the effort put.
Yes, I know a lot of people who did History subjects, Legal Studies and Business Studies, which are commonly known to be 'low scaling' subjects.

Yeah, if you do shit and rank low, ofc it would be low scaling.

studynerd

HSC
oh! i wasn't say that you need asian subjects to get 99+.. i just meant that i only had info about the asian subjects.. cus i do em :'D

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
oh! i wasn't say that you need asian subjects to get 99+.. i just meant that i only had info about the asian subjects.. cus i do em :'D
No no ^^ I'm not criticising you! Do the subjects you love, and are good at. Honestly, I'm doing very 'Asian' subjects, except for Business Studies, but I don't want anyone to come across this post and feel the need to only do those subjects too, so I was just chucking in my 2 cents saying that it was definitely okay to do other subjects too XD

Sorry if I came off a bit angry !

studynerd

HSC
Yep! theres a lot of people that get 99+ without even doing maths.

-but from what i read, if you are capable and interested.. it defs does make it easier to get 99+ with the "harder" subjects. I mean.. a low ban 5 in MX2 is equivalent to a 92.5 in English Adv!! But no matter what subjects, you need dedication and a hell of a lot of hard work. Btw.. i'm still in my hsc year... trying to work hard :D

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Janek Drevikovsky got 99.95 without the usual combo which ppl think gets a high atar. He did stuff like Legal, Modern, EX2 and lots of languages subjects.

studynerd

HSC
Janek Drevikovsky got 99.95 without the usual combo which ppl think gets a high atar. He did stuff like Legal, Modern, EX2 and lots of languages subjects.
That guy is scary :L The words i think is too big to remember for my essays.. he uses in everyday convo.. :'D

Hope is does something good for Australia! :)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
That guy is scary :L The words i think is too big to remember for my essays.. he uses in everyday convo.. :'D

Hope is does something good for Australia! :)
I hope so too! He's such a beast :D

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
You don't need any "asian subjects" to get 99 or above.

I only did humanities. A friend of mine got 99.2 with English Adv, English Ext1, Hospitality, SORII, Ancient History, and PDHPE. Enjoy what you do, and you will excel.

braintic

HSC
N/A
you can't have decimals as your hsc mark
Actually, yes you can ... and you do.

You only get reported the nearest whole number. But people with exactly the same marks can get different ATARs due to rounding.

studynerd

HSC
Actually, yes you can ... and you do.

You only get reported the nearest whole number. But people with exactly the same marks can get different ATARs due to rounding.
[emoji50] thanks for pointing that out.. i never knew that :'D.. seems like they hide a lot of info

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
How do I get the thing where it calculates if one subject comprised your whole hsc? It just says less than 10 units :(

studynerd

HSC
How do I get the thing where it calculates if one subject comprised your whole hsc? It just says less than 10 units :(
I did it in Excell.. but if u don't want as much detail (the amout of people that get it and all that) then just "reverse atar" :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)