Can I still get 97 ATAR??? (1 Viewer)

Rileh

HSC
Hey,

I was hoping for a 97 ATAR and I believe this is achievable for me but my first term results were rough and I really did not commit enough.

I got ~45% in Adv Maths (Prelim I averaged ~65% with little effort) , and around 75% in both Legal and Modern. I did well in Adv Eng with 90% but bad in Ext 1 with 70%. Haven't got Eco back yet. I go to a top 40 ranked school and have a strong cohort. Exams were all worth about 15% of internals.

I believe I can pick all these marks up considerably, I'm usually really good at Legal especially, but I can't see myself getting above 90% in Adv. Maths without a considerable time commitment so I'm considering the drop to General for dat Band 6. I have a few co-curricular commitments also.

I honestly think I am capable of getting a 97 but is this still a realistic goal considering my Term 1 results? Also, should I drop to General Mathematics just for the 'easier' marks?

Thanks!

miaoww

HSC
You can definitely still achieve that goal, especially considering the first assessments have such a low weighting. For me, the HSC was a lot harder than prelim, and everyone becomes a lot more competitive and tries a lot harder (especially in the better ranked schools). I never dropped below 90 in modern history in prelim, and in my first hsc assessment i got 78% which was below the average. I ended up with a 94 in modern as my final hsc mark, so don't lose hope, just turn your disappointment into motivation (as cliche as that sounds). You have to remember that every percentage matters though, so your chances of coming in the top 5 have now been reduced, so you have to really work your ass off for your next exams.

I wouldn't recommend dropping to general. It is well worth the time commitment to do advanced maths. 97 is not an easy ATAR to achieve, so if you think you're alright with getting lower because you couldn't bother to put in the effort, then drop to general.

Also you did an excellent job in english, continue to focus on that and it'll definitely pull your ATAR up. :) good luck!!

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Hi mate,

First off, don't feel too sad. Even people who achieved amazing ATARs (95+) had some form of bad assessment or another. This is either the first assessment or ones near the end.

HSC is all about endurance. It's a little bit about natural ability, but mostly about how hard and smart you study. But at the end of the day, persist. Persevere. :) That's the trick to getting an amazing ATAR! Never giving up and keep working hard :) I was fortunate to meet someone during my HSC that told me this and despite messing up a lot of my assessments... still managed to do pretty well :) 97 is definitely possible considering the quality of your cohort :p

bangali

HSC
Curious, what would you say if I said, no, you absolutely cannot? Would it change how you worked?

But yeah, the key is: keep working consistently rather than being knocked down. AND, figure out why you were knocked down last time. Heaps of people just keep pushing without changing anything, and you can't expect to change output/results without changing input/behaviours. What made you lose those marks? What should you change? Chew on that over Christmas before digging in again perseveringly! :)

tonysoprano

HSC
no. gg no re

lol jk, i literally failed all my half yearly exams and i still got 95+ in my atar, so just don't let the bad marks consume you, and use this as motivation to try harder! good luck.

Rileh

HSC
Hi mate,

First off, don't feel too sad. Even people who achieved amazing ATARs (95+) had some form of bad assessment or another. This is either the first assessment or ones near the end.

HSC is all about endurance. It's a little bit about natural ability, but mostly about how hard and smart you study. But at the end of the day, persist. Persevere. :) That's the trick to getting an amazing ATAR! Never giving up and keep working hard :) I was fortunate to meet someone during my HSC that told me this and despite messing up a lot of my assessments... still managed to do pretty well :) 97 is definitely possible considering the quality of your cohort :p
no. gg no re

lol jk, i literally failed all my half yearly exams and i still got 95+ in my atar, so just don't let the bad marks consume you, and use this as motivation to try harder! good luck.
Curious, what would you say if I said, no, you absolutely cannot? Would it change how you worked?

But yeah, the key is: keep working consistently rather than being knocked down. AND, figure out why you were knocked down last time. Heaps of people just keep pushing without changing anything, and you can't expect to change output/results without changing input/behaviours. What made you lose those marks? What should you change? Chew on that over Christmas before digging in again perseveringly! :)
Yep. You can :D Just keep working hard and understand as much possible on what you are learning :) Don't give up!
You can definitely still achieve that goal, especially considering the first assessments have such a low weighting. For me, the HSC was a lot harder than prelim, and everyone becomes a lot more competitive and tries a lot harder (especially in the better ranked schools). I never dropped below 90 in modern history in prelim, and in my first hsc assessment i got 78% which was below the average. I ended up with a 94 in modern as my final hsc mark, so don't lose hope, just turn your disappointment into motivation (as cliche as that sounds). You have to remember that every percentage matters though, so your chances of coming in the top 5 have now been reduced, so you have to really work your ass off for your next exams.

I wouldn't recommend dropping to general. It is well worth the time commitment to do advanced maths. 97 is not an easy ATAR to achieve, so if you think you're alright with getting lower because you couldn't bother to put in the effort, then drop to general.

Also you did an excellent job in english, continue to focus on that and it'll definitely pull your ATAR up. :) good luck!!
Hey,

I was hoping for a 97 ATAR and I believe this is achievable for me but my first term results were rough and I really did not commit enough.

I got ~45% in Adv Maths (Prelim I averaged ~65% with little effort) , and around 75% in both Legal and Modern. I did well in Adv Eng with 90% but bad in Ext 1 with 70%. Haven't got Eco back yet. I go to a top 40 ranked school and have a strong cohort. Exams were all worth about 15% of internals.

I believe I can pick all these marks up considerably, I'm usually really good at Legal especially, but I can't see myself getting above 90% in Adv. Maths without a considerable time commitment so I'm considering the drop to General for dat Band 6. I have a few co-curricular commitments also.

I honestly think I am capable of getting a 97 but is this still a realistic goal considering my Term 1 results? Also, should I drop to General Mathematics just for the 'easier' marks?

Thanks!
Thanks all, I will try to improve on my study habits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)