Is 99+ achievable (1 Viewer)

ella_k

HSC
Hey guys!

I had a question about if it is still realistic to aim for a 99+ for me, because l think l've really stuffed up and am only on ten units.
These are marks and ranks so far - also weighting

Eng Adv - 83/100 (mark), (rank), 30 percent (weighting)
Eng Ext 1 - 38/50, 78/170 ,30
Maths 2U - 56/100, 104/120 ,35
Maths 3U - 34/50, 87/120 ,30
Legal Studies - 63/100, 33/36, 35
Chemistry - 67/100, 84/104 ,35

BTW my school ranks in the top 10 in the state. Thanks!

Orwell

HSC
Yeah, didn't want to be the first one to tell you but I don't see it happening either. Sorry.

ella_k

HSC
Do you reckon l could do 96 plus if the rest of my exams and externals were significantly better? I'm fairly sure l can boost my marks considerably because l've had legitimate reasoning for doing badly.

Orwell

HSC
Boost your marks? sure. To a 96? Doubt it. Even if you put in 100% and try your hardest, those above you will do the same, as will those below you. Just try your best.

authenticity

Povo Child
HSC
Hey guys!

Eng Adv - 83/100 (mark), (rank), 30 percent (weighting)
Eng Ext 1 - 38/50, 78/170 ,30
Maths 2U - 56/100, 104/120 ,35
Maths 3U - 34/50, 87/120 ,30
Legal Studies - 63/100, 33/36, 35
Chemistry - 67/100, 84/104 ,35

BTW my school ranks in the top 10 in the state. Thanks!
You can probably get 96+ if you make a change, so much so that you end up near topping all of your remaining exams. That should help your rank greatly. But knowing how are you academically at the moment, I can't see a future where you would somehow top your exams. :(

You should go onto http://www.topscores.info/ and tell us how many people typically get band 6s. On the weird off chance that hypothetically:

75 people get bank 6s in EE1
100 Maths 2U
85 in 3U
25 in Legal Studies
And 50 in Chem

Then your marks aren't AS bad as it would seem, and you would actually be scrapping below a band 6. And if your whole cohort is actually really strong, then you might actually be doing better than expected (compared to the state). But it really comes down to how many people get band 6 and whether your cohort is stronger/weaker than the year aboves.

BTW, you didn't give us your Eng Adv rank.

ella_k

HSC
You can probably get 96+ if you make a change, so much so that you end up near topping all of your remaining exams. That should help your rank greatly. But knowing how are you academically at the moment, I can't see a future where you would somehow top your exams. :(

You should go onto http://www.topscores.info/ and tell us how many people typically get band 6s. On the weird off chance that hypothetically:

75 people get bank 6s in EE1
100 Maths 2U
85 in 3U
25 in Legal Studies
And 50 in Chem

Then your marks aren't AS bad as it would seem, and you would actually be scrapping below a band 6. And if your whole cohort is actually really strong, then you might actually be doing better than expected (compared to the state). But it really comes down to how many people get band 6 and whether your cohort is stronger/weaker than the year aboves.

BTW, you didn't give us your Eng Adv rank.
English adv rank is 78/170 not english extension. My EE1 rank was 75/108
So last year at school the amount of band sixes for the subjects l do were:
121/165 for eng adv
69/89 for EE1
62/104 for adv maths
88/140 for ext 1 maths
18/24 for legal studies
39/92 for chemistry

PoodsJewBag

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey hey!

I'm actually not all that familiar with the HSC (went to high school in Qld), but your goals are very, very high. Don't get me wrong, that's great, but when you aim high you run the risk of being disappointed. What course/uni/other goals do you have? Chances are, you won't need that score. Even if you do, there's other ways to get where you want to be.

For reference, I graduated in 2014 and got an OP4, which at the time was equivalent to an ATAR 94.3, I believe. Not sure how relevant it is to HSC marks. My marks and year-level rankings were as follows.
> English: 90% @ probably 10th position
> Maths A (general): 96% @ 1st position
> Modern History: 90% @ 2nd position
> Ancient History: 90% @ 1st position
> Music (advanced): 90% @ 1st position

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Hey hey!

I'm actually not all that familiar with the HSC (went to high school in Qld), but your goals are very, very high. Don't get me wrong, that's great, but when you aim high you run the risk of being disappointed. What course/uni/other goals do you have? Chances are, you won't need that score. Even if you do, there's other ways to get where you want to be.

For reference, I graduated in 2014 and got an OP4, which at the time was equivalent to an ATAR 94.3, I believe. Not sure how relevant it is to HSC marks. My marks and year-level rankings were as follows.
> English: 90% @ probably 10th position
> Maths A (general): 96% @ 1st position
> Modern History: 90% @ 2nd position
> Ancient History: 90% @ 1st position
> Music (advanced): 90% @ 1st position

Is that legit lele?

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I think you can go for 90+ defs, if you push hard maybe 95+

authenticity

Povo Child
HSC
Capture.JPG

So I did the maths for you (kind of, assuming my calculations are all correct lol). And as it turns out, you rank isn't as bad as it looks! Yay. So this is obviously based on the assumption that your cohort is similar to last years, and so you and your cohort will perform similarly. Some of your ranks are within the B6 range which is great! Others are slightly off, meaning you'll hit the mid to low 80s.

My advice would be to work on your chem the most. I think it'll also be quite valuable to pull up your 3U and if possible 2U ranks.If you can get them within the B6 range, you're going to get a pretty decent ATAR :)

Based on your current ranks, I think you'll get around 92ish. But if you can pull up your 2U, 3U and LS up to just 90 and chem at mid 80s, you can possible scrape approximately 96.

So I think, try your absolute hardest :) Although 99+ probably isn't really possible, it's still entirely possible to get 96+.

Good luck :D

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
View attachment 33149

So I did the maths for you (kind of, assuming my calculations are all correct lol). And as it turns out, you rank isn't as bad as it looks! Yay. So this is obviously based on the assumption that your cohort is similar to last years, and so you and your cohort will perform similarly. Some of your ranks are within the B6 range which is great! Others are slightly off, meaning you'll hit the mid to low 80s.

My advice would be to work on your chem the most. I think it'll also be quite valuable to pull up your 3U and if possible 2U ranks.If you can get them within the B6 range, you're going to get a pretty decent ATAR :)

Based on your current ranks, I think you'll get around 92ish. But if you can pull up your 2U, 3U and LS up to just 90 and chem at mid 80s, you can possible scrape approximately 96.

So I think, try your absolute hardest :) Although 99+ probably isn't really possible, it's still entirely possible to get 96+.

Good luck :D
Damn, dedication

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)