'Tertiary' study, the ATAR, and University entry. (1 Viewer)

adam0568

HSC
Hi,

To explain my situation simply, I completed 8 units of normal HSC courses last year (2015) and am finishing off the second year of my TAFE TVET course this year (2016) so that I can get my ATAR this year.

According to the marks that I received for the other 8 units, and a general estimation of the mark I will probably receive in the exam for my TVET course, I'm looking at an ATAR between 70 and 80. The point however, is that the course I want to do at uni currently has a cutoff of 79.05. I'm sure that some of you people who got into uni in the past few years can understand the 'worry' that I am experiencing, since that ATAR cutoff really cuts my chances very thin according to my predicted ATAR.

The course i'm doing at TAFE and the uni course I want to do are completely unrelated, but do you think that the people who sit behind the desk and choose who to offer course spots to might actually pay attention to the fact that I have technically done some tertiary study in form of the TAFE course and possibly give me a chance because of that? Even if it doesn't provide me with CPL or anything like that? (of course, this assumes that my ATAR doesn't quite reach the cutoff).

Anyone's experiences/ideas with this would be greatly appreciated!

D94

HSC
N/A
The course i'm doing at TAFE and the uni course I want to do are completely unrelated, but do you think that the people who sit behind the desk and choose who to offer course spots to might actually pay attention to the fact that I have technically done some tertiary study in form of the TAFE course and possibly give me a chance because of that?
Doesn't work like that. It's a computer program that allocates spots based on your ATAR, how many people applied, and how many spots are on offer. There's no subjectiveness to the process, as you have described.

All you can do right now is to order your preferences based on what you prefer, and have several 'backup' options should you not achieve a spot. Cutoffs are generally inflated, but you shouldn't rely on this to get in.

adam0568

HSC
Are you eligible for EAS?
Nah not that I know of.

Doesn't work like that. It's a computer program that allocates spots based on your ATAR, how many people applied, and how many spots are on offer. There's no subjectiveness to the process, as you have described.

All you can do right now is to order your preferences based on what you prefer, and have several 'backup' options should you not achieve a spot. Cutoffs are generally inflated, but you shouldn't rely on this to get in.
Well, whad'ya know? haha. That was just a total guess to be honest. But yeah you're right about having backup options, I suppose i'll have to consider some other courses as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)