ATAR aim of 85 (1 Viewer)

Millsy12

HSC
N/A
Firstly, I would like to start off with the fact that I know people always ask this question and this probably bugs you guys immensely. But I'm extremely worried about my subjects and would like to know about getting an ATAR of 85 specific to my subjects

Subjects:
Biology
Modern History (will drop it in YR 12 to do Chem)
Maths Methods (or Mathematics)
English Standard
Religion Major (compulsory subject)
Economics
Note: I'm completing schooling at the ACT

Now my question is will I have to score very highly in all these subjects to get an ATAR of 85 or above? And what estimated grades/marks would I have to obtain in these subjects for an ATAR of 85.

I'm sorry but I have just been worried because I realised that I should've chose harder subjects since I'm fairly bright, but was scared of their diffuculty and doing poorly. Although I realised that wouldn't of been the case if I just tried harder.

Thanks heaps :)

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Just letting you know, there is no way you can just swap modern history and jump into chemistry. The stuff you learn in prelim is so vital to the HSC course, that you would be completely lost and frustrated.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Just letting you know, there is no way you can just swap modern history and jump into chemistry. The stuff you learn in prelim is so vital to the HSC course, that you would be completely lost and frustrated.
Is it true that you have to complete 50% of a prelim course to do the HSC version of it? That's what the teachers told us here because the final date for quitting a subject was week 2 term 2 here...

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
Is it true that you have to complete 50% of a prelim course to do the HSC version of it? That's what the teachers told us here because the final date for quitting a subject was week 2 term 2 here...
You can still do a sub in prelim if you switch like half way through t1, if your school is super linient end of t1 early t2

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Millsy12

HSC
N/A
No it is possible, I will drop Modern History after a year (making it a minor) and then I can complete a minor in Chemistry by doing it in Year 12. If I do Chemistry in Year 12 I'll be in a Year 11 Chemistry class and will hence, go from the beginning of college Chemistry. Keep in mind that I'm in the ACT and not NSW

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
ACT's system is radically different from NSW lel

iirc you don't have a final major external exam do you?

Millsy12

HSC
N/A
Yeah we have a thing known as an AST what is three separate papers used to scale your subjects. All schools in ACT complete it

Millsy12

HSC
N/A
Uh, can anyone give me an answer to my original question. It's just that I'm not certain on whether I could trust an ATAR calculator since I'm from the ACT and was wondering if anyone could give their insight on the scaling of my subjects and what mark I would need for a ATAR of 85

si2136

HSC
N/A
Any subject can get you 99.95 if you do well. Do the ones you enjoy and perform well in, and drop the one that's dragging your ATAR down and rank.

atarguide

HSC
Hey, there. I'm a student from the ACT, too (year 12). I don't know if you'll see this, but I'll help you where I can. :)

The scaling of your subjects do matter. All the subjects you've chosen aren't particularly known for their great scaling, but as long as everyone in those subjects is relatively bright and do well on the AST test, you should be fine. If you're good at science in general and not just Biology, I recommend doing Chemistry or Physics as the scaling is far higher for those subjects. You said you wanted to do Chemistry in Year 12; however, that's not possible if you want to do a Major, which you should in order to increase your chances of a great ATAR.

On the other hand, my only great-scaling subject is Chemistry, and my ATAR estimate is 95+, so you shouldn't put too much weight on scaling.

As for the type of marks you need for a good ATAR - well, it depends. Sometimes schools talk about how high your scores are, and sometimes they talk about how well you do compared to others. In general, I would aim for above average in your subjects to get such marks, and aim to get Bs and As.

If you want more info or have any questions, feel free to leave a question at my new website: http://atarsdegreesasts.blogspot.com.au
(So little resources for the ACT, amirite?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)