ATAR Estimates ♡ Don't roast my ranks too hard p (1 Viewer)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Ty for serious opinion <3

Alright, it's important to remember you still have at least 60% of assessments left to boost up your rank. I'm not going to stress the importance of doing well internally, because I think you know that, but you really have quite a big chance to boost your ranks with that >60% weighting of assessments left. Understandably you are upset over your ranks; it's normal for us to feel emotional and panic about our results and not think rationally about it. But I would strongly advise you to stop worrying, simply because it when we overthink, it does not benefit our well-being both in the short and long term.

Instead of acting emotionally, think strategically and ask yourself: "How can I be smarter in my preparation for future assessments?" See these ranks as a merely another hurdle to improve your academic ability as you seem capable of doing well, from what I've observed on the forums.

Now, for your ATAR estimate, but keep in mind, a HSC course is very different to their prelim counterpart in every subject. Anyway, for your estimate, I'd say you're looking around 90, but to be honest, I'm a layman at ATAR estimates, so try to get some more.

You seriously need to work on your Physics. It's going to count no matter what (since you're doing 11 units if you take into account accelerated business studies). And even if you do well in subjects such as Economics and English (relatively speaking), Physics will drag down your ATAR considerably. So, I suggest getting a private tutor, perfecting your exam technique as simply rote learning the content is not enough, and going to seminars, etc.

Not to mention it wouldn't be enough to just improve in the other subjects. Improve all around and your ATAR will improve all around. Additionally, focus some of your time on improving maths, especially 2u, so a) you get better marks and b) then you could also do well in 3u, where scaling helps.

Just consider all this and good luck! :)
Hahaha thank you :) I know, I'm well aware - and to be honest, I wasn't going to post these ranks to show how badly I was doing in Physics (I'm a bit salty about English having so many people bunching up, and a bit relieved that I have room to wriggle around for 2U) - but I felt I needed the estimates to really push myself to hit the 95 goal.

Regarding, Physics, I have excessively placed a lot of time into it (Monday and Tuesday afternoons are dedicated to after-school Physics classes and tutoring, and for the half-yearly, I exerted a lot of force into studying for Physics) and kind of stuck on what to do about it.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Have you ever read this guide, it may help: http://community.boredofstudies.org/18/physics/347666/state-rankers-guide-hsc-physics-porcupinetree.html

(I'd be very surprised if you haven't done so already :haha: )
I have! And to be honest, I've tried to implement a lot of advice to my own style of studying. But its merely that I just don't connect with Physics and the concepts don't make sense, and if they did, they don't get translated onto the paper well T___T But its okay, like you said, I still have 50 - 60% left and even if I can't hit top 5 or 10, at least try move upwards from where I am is a good place to start

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Early days, so it's much harder to predict.

Post-trials is a much better time.

However, using your current ranks, the Top Scores website, an ATAR calculator, a bit of guessing and assuming I have the right school in mind:

English Advanced: 16th/69

Assuming you'll most likely hit anywhere from 88 - 91.

Mathematics: 23rd/61

Assuming you'll hit around 88 - 89.

MX1: 13th/40

Assuming you'll hit around 91 - 93.

Physics *HEAVY SIGH*: 21st/37

Assuming you'll hit around 80~

Economics: 3rd/23

Assuming you'll hit around 90~

Business Studies -> 92

ATAR estimate: 94ish

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Even if you got a 70 in Physics (which means only 1 unit will obviously count), the ATAR calculator tells me you'll still be in the 93ish range.

If UNSW Commerce is your goal, I think you are already very much in a good position to get in (even without much improvement) - given bonus points.

Last edited:

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Even if you got a 70 in Physics (which means only 1 unit will obviously count), the ATAR calculator tells me you'll still be in the 93ish range.

If UNSW Commerce is your goal, I think you are already very much in a good position to get in (even without much improvement) - given bonus points.
Well I'm relieved that I have the chance to be in a good position for a 90~

Deep down, still want to chase for the 95+ like people chase for the 99.95 for the long term of Law TTATT

But thank you, RoT! I'll try not to fall drastically in Physics T___T And improve my Maths, I guess? Thats my plan. Maintain everything else

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I'm relieved that I have the chance to be in a good position for a 90~

Deep down, still want to chase for the 95+ like people chase for the 99.95 for the long term of Law TTATT

But thank you, RoT! I'll try not to fall drastically in Physics T___T And improve my Maths, I guess? Thats my plan. Maintain everything else
Very doable. Aim for perhaps top 10 in English (so you'll be a good position to hit 90-91~) but top 15 should be fine for your aim, improve your 2U maths, 3U maths aligns AND scales so well (so your current rank is fine), definitely try to stay within the top 3 for Economics and do as best as you can for Physics (but realistically, only 1 unit will count so you don't need to start sacrificing some Economics or English marks to improve in Physics).

In terms of strategy, I think it could be argued that you should perhaps sacrifice a bit of your investment into MX1 (given it's significant aligning and scaling) to make drastic improvements to Physics.
http://www.hsccoworks.com.au/playing-hsc-game/ - This is a good article to read.

But, in your case, I feel MX1 will definitely count no matter what (it's scaling is just ridiculous) so any 'negative impact' from Physics won't be too detrimental (I'm sure you can get at least a mid band 5 anyways with some solid improvement).

I'm sure you'll figure out a good balance/strategy but basically, from my point of view, to maximise your ATAR:
1. Aim for 'band 6' ranks for Adv English, 2U Maths, Economics
2. Consider reducing your investment in MX1 (even a mark in the 'mid to high 80s' or 42-44/50 will be highly beneficial to your ATAR) IF it can contribute to drastic improvements in your Physics marks. There tends to be 'diminishing returns' for MX1/MX2 (in terms of effort) when it comes to maximising your ATAR.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Very doable. Aim for perhaps top 10 in English (so you'll be a good position to hit 90-91~) but top 15 should be fine for your aim, improve your 2U maths, 3U maths aligns AND scales so well (so your current rank is fine), definitely try to stay within the top 3 for Economics and do as best as you can for Physics (but realistically, only 1 unit will count so you don't need to start sacrificing some Economics or English marks to improve in Physics).

In terms of strategy, I think it could be argued that you should perhaps sacrifice a bit of your investment into MX1 (given it's significant aligning and scaling) to make drastic improvements to Physics.
http://www.hsccoworks.com.au/playing-hsc-game/ - This is a good article to read.

But, in your case, I feel MX1 will definitely count no matter what (it's scaling is just ridiculous) so any 'negative impact' from Physics won't be too detrimental (I'm sure you can get at least a mid band 5 anyways with some solid improvement).

I'm sure you'll figure out a good balance/strategy but basically, from my point of view, to maximise your ATAR:
1. Aim for 'band 6' ranks for Adv English, 2U Maths, Economics
2. Consider reducing your investment in MX1 (even a mark in the 'mid to high 80s' or 42-44/50 will be highly beneficial to your ATAR) IF it can contribute to drastic improvements in your Physics marks. There tends to be 'diminishing returns' for MX1/MX2 (in terms of effort) when it comes to maximising your ATAR.
Its actually crazy and hard to believe TTATT...But I put most of my time into Physics, barely any (close to 0 except the general class work and attending to active learning) for Economics. Yeah, I've decided to shift my focus from 3U Maths onto 2U Maths, mainly because if I'm pretty happy with my 80% half yearly mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)