Does a band 4 drag you down? (1 Viewer)

stillcrying

HSC
I was wondering if i was to get 1 band 4, 2 band 5 and 2 band 6 will it be impossible to get a 90 because i have 1 band 4?

also is it true you can't get a higher mark/ band than the person with higher ranking than you

Last edited:

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Depends, an band 4 equivalent (low e3) in 4u is not the same as band 4 in PDHPE

D94

HSC
N/A
I was wondering if i was to get 1 band 4, 2 band 5 and 2 band 6 will it be impossible to get a 90 because i have 1 band 4?
It doesn't really work like that (as in, you can't simply gauge what you will get based on Bands), but it's possible to achieve an ATAR of 90 with those bands, depending on the subjects.

also is it true you can't get a higher mark/ band than the person with higher ranking than you
No, part of your mark is your own exam mark. For example, if 5th gets 85 for their assessment but flunks their exam and gets 75, and you are 6th, with 82 for your assessment but you get 90 for your exam, then your final mark will be higher.

stillcrying

HSC
It doesn't really work like that (as in, you can't simply gauge what you will get based on Bands), but it's possible to achieve an ATAR of 90 with those bands, depending on the subjects.

No, part of your mark is your own exam mark. For example, if 5th gets 85 for their assessment but flunks their exam and gets 75, and you are 6th, with 82 for your assessment but you get 90 for your exam, then your final mark will be higher.
because I heard some say that its not possible to get 90 if you end up with 1 band 4. What if my subjects were band 5 for economic and adv eng then band 6 for pdhpe and business studies while band 4 was chemistry?

So its still possible for me to receive a higher mark than someone who got a higher rank than me? Because, please let me know if this is wrong but people say if:

Rankings
1. Bob
2. Bill
3. Phil

HSC exam
Bob - 94
Bill - 86
Phil - 90

then since Bill got a better ranking than Phil, then he gets Phil's mark as Phil can't get a higher mark than whoever is infront of him in rankings.

D94

HSC
N/A
because I heard some say that its not possible to get 90 if you end up with 1 band 4. What if my subjects were band 5 for economic and adv eng then band 6 for pdhpe and business studies while band 4 was chemistry?
One possibility, had you sat the HSC in 2015:

It changes each year depending on the quality of the candidature; so this year you may or may not need to do as well to get 90.

So its still possible for me to receive a higher mark than someone who got a higher rank than me? Because, please let me know if this is wrong but people say if:

Rankings
1. Bob
2. Bill
3. Phil

HSC exam
Bob - 94
Bill - 86
Phil - 90

then since Bill got a better ranking than Phil, then he gets Phil's mark as Phil can't get a higher mark than whoever is infront of him in rankings.
No, Phil does not get Bill's mark - what you are suggesting is a common misconception.

What does occur is for the assessment marks is that students will receive an adjusted mark of their school marks that reflects their school performance, which is adjusted based on their HSC exam. Let's say for a class of 30, the top exam mark is 95, and the lowest exam mark is 75. These marks can be achieved by anyone. For the assessment marks, the student who came first will now have their school mark adjusted to 95, and the person who came last will have their school mark adjusted to 75. So even if first got a school mark of 99%, that will be adjusted to 95, because their cohort could not achieve better than 95, meaning the quality of the cohort is capped at 95. Now for each student in between, the marks will be adjusted based on how close or far each student is from each other. Being say 5% away from first will get you a better mark than being say 15% away from first, regardless of your rank. Whatever each student got in their exam does not affect how their school mark will be adjusted. It is solely dependent on how they performed at school, based on their school marks. The only exception is for first and last, as explained before - their marks are derived from the highest and lowest exam marks, as this sets the standard of that particular cohort.

For the exam mark, that is the student's own individual performance, and regardless of their rank, they will keep their exam mark. If first ranked so happens to flunk their exam, then half of their final mark will be their poor exam mark. It's their own achievement (or failure) which determines this portion of their final mark.

The real question is who are these people that give out misleading information?

MouseTop

HSC
D94 is right. Your HSC mark is not changed, you will just get the highest aligned mark. Also, in my case teachers were handing out the incorrect information smh.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Yes, you can get a 90 atar even if you got a band 2, as long as you perform really well in your other subjects.

No that is not true. Although if they are ranked higher, their school mark will give them an advantage over you and they likely will beat you. (Because you know, for them to be ranked higher, they have to be the better student in that subject generally).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)