My school has four students in year twelve. I'm one. Predictions? (1 Viewer)

rhosemary

HSC
We are Rank 379. I'm afraid I don't have percentages or my ranking, only letter grades. This really isn't a very academic institution (read: they assume everyone is going to be a plumber and doesn't care about school) and they don’t actually RELEASE letter grades, you just get boxes ticked in High, Medium, et cetera- but I’ve counted it as an A or A+ when almost all of the ticks were in Very High. I could be mistaken.
I'm undoubtedly the top-scoring student in my cohort, but that’s not saying much when my cohort is three other people. I do two courses online through DECV- Classical Studies and Extended Investigation- as the range offered by the school is very small. I don't know what rank I am there, either.
My hope is to do Arts at Monash or Melbourne, for which I need at least an 80. Do you think I’ve got a shot? I know it looks decent on paper, but circumstances make me paranoid. I’m pretty sure I’ll get scaled down, for one.
These are my scores:
English: All As and I think at least one A+. Maybe more.
Literature: All As, one- maybe two?- A+
Classical Studies: A and A+, still waiting for next grade which might be lower
Extended Investigation: nothing but B+, which is driving me slightly insane. I don’t know how I did in the Critical Thinking test- I think okay?- but I’m working really hard on my final report, so hopefully it'll work out.
History: All A’s, I believe.
This is about as much as I know, but I can try to elaborate if it's insufficient.

Last edited:

turntaker

HSC
if you are rank 1 for everything you should technically be able to achieve any atar. Just do well at externals.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
if you are rank 1 for everything you should technically be able to achieve any atar. Just do well at externals.
This.

Pretty much the only thing anyone can tell you right now is to work hard. No one can say anything else with the vague description you have given of your ranks.

Flop21

HSC
Yeah you really need to think outside the boundaries of your school. Because you might be comfortably first there, but you're going against the whole state. So keep that in mind and keep up with the rest of the state.

This is a good forum to do so.

rhosemary

HSC
Thank you all for responding! I tried to ask the principal about cohorts- he didn't recognise the term and told me "we don't do rankings" (what a pain), so I guess the only thing I can do is follow your advice and work. And hope. But mostly work.

Infin-Noka

HSC
Where might this place be situated, out of interest? Rural by any chance?
Eligible for bonus points? Surely, there's something about bonus points out there for a school of only 4 hopefully motivated students.

rhosemary

HSC
It's considered rural, yes. South-Western region. As for bonus points- I'll be applying through SEAS, financial difficulties and location and all that, which I think I've read can allocate extra? Besides that, I've heard nothing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)