[FINAL] Don't roast me too hard ♥ (1 Viewer)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
School Rank: 70s

FINAL YEAR 12 REPORT
RANKS/ASSESSMENT MARK (RAW TO BOSTES)/TRIALS MARK
  • English Advanced
    1. 5th out of 69
    2. Assessment mark 83/100
    3. Trials: 90/105
  • Mathematics
    1. 9th out of 62 (improved by 12 ranks from stuffing up the first 2 assessments)
    2. Assessment mark 80/100
    3. Trials: 80/100 (didn't study)
  • Mathematics Extension I
    1. 16th out of 37
    2. Assessment mark 39/50
    3. Trials: 65%

• Economics
    1. 3rd out of 22
    2. Assessment mark 90/100
    3. Trials: 90/100
  • Physics
    1. 16th out of 36 (woo improved by 5 ranks!!!...sigh...)
    2. Assessment mark 75/100
    3. Trials: 72/100
2015 Business Studies: HSC mark of 92

Thank you for the estimates!!!

Last edited:

calamebe

HSC
I'm not gonna estimate your ATAR, but it might be useful to give your Business HSC mark.

kashkow

HSC
I included your business mark of 92, forgot to mention it before though!

DGatez

HSC
Can someone explain their reasoning for each estimate?

Or does it lack reason and is based on feeling and intuition derived from their database and experience in estimation and other estimators?

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC

Or does it lack reason and is based on feeling and intuition derived from their database and experience in estimation and other estimators?

kashkow

HSC

I basically use an the raw trials and rawmarks.info database to estimate the aligned marks. Then plug this into an ATAR calculator (or if I think externals are different to internals, average them first). I may make a few intuitive decisions and make a few assumptions such as trials were an equal level to the HSC exam and that the performance of the cohort is reflected accurately and they will perform about the same in the externals.

I also double check as well with another method which I think i did for this person. Basically I sorta make a rough estimate on their overall ranks, if I had to give one to the student. I estimated she was around 10th in her cohort. Then there are about 600 schools in the state so I find out how many people is either 10th or above in their schools which is just 10 * 600 = 6000. Then due to lower ranked schools there may be about 1000 people that although ranked at 10 or lower actually may not be as good. This means about 5000 people are ahead of them (though this may be a loose number). Then I eliminated another 1000 just due to maybe kids who aren't as good or who may fail in their exams and assuming this student either performs as good or better in HSC externals (though this may be a bad assumption as there may be a similar amount excelling or doing better). This means there are about 4000 kids who are better than this student, and as each ATAR point is ~ 1000 (actually more like 900) candidates this is about 4 points behind the maximum = 100-4 = 96 roughly. This was similar to my calculator estimate.

The second method may be more informal and may just be my method but it seemed to work well for this case.

Last edited:

DGatez

HSC
I basically use an the raw trials and rawmarks.info database to estimate the aligned marks. Then plug this into an ATAR calculator (or if I think externals are different to internals, average them first). I may make a few intuitive decisions and make a few assumptions such as trials were an equal level to the HSC exam and that the performance of the cohort is reflected accurately and they will perform about the same in the externals.

I also double check as well with another method which I think i did for this person. Basically I sorta make a rough estimate on their overall ranks, if I had to give one to the student. I estimated she was around 10th in her cohort. Then there are about 600 schools in the state so I find out how many people is either 10th or above in their schools which is just 10 * 600 = 6000. Then due to lower ranked schools there may be about 1000 people that although ranked at 10 or lower actually may not be as good. This means about 5000 people are ahead of them (though this may be a loose number). Then I eliminated another 1000 just due to maybe kids who aren't as good or who may fail in their exams and assuming this student either performs as good or better in HSC externals (though this may be a bad assumption as there may be a similar amount excelling or doing better). This means there are about 4000 kids who are better than this student, and as each ATAR point is ~ 1000 (actually more like 900) candidates this is about 4 points behind the maximum = 100-4 = 96 roughly. This was similar to my calculator estimate.

The second method may be more informal and may just be my method but it seemed to work well for this case.
Interesting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)