Year 9 (going into year 10) Melbourne student getting into media (1 Viewer)

Esskay

HSC
N/A
I want to get into a known university for mostly media studies such as Filming, Directing, Video Editing and perhaps screen acting. my parents have been forcing me to do 3 hours of maths and english a day from this website called "Mathletics" and restricting my free time mostly online. I am a "B" student for media though the teacher said that I'm a year and a half in advance and would be an a if it wern't for the new format and a A student in maths although my English mark is a C- because of my terrible handwriting and essay format.
My parents say if I keep this up I will be a dropout student or have a terrible life as I won't get a job in media. How much study do you think is needed to get an ATAR of 90+ or get into a University like RMIT or Melbourne University and based on how I'm going now, do you think I'm overkilling it or not doing enough?

Last edited:

phat_tar

HSC
Uni Grad
I think you're studying hard not smart, mathletics is not an effective learning tool from my experience. Especially for a Year 9 student, three hours a night is overkill, I know plenty of people who in the HSC have achieved 90+ ATARs doing 2-3 hours a night during the HSC, not Year 9. Instead, a much more effective way of studying would be doing practise for what you're actually getting tested on i.e. practise English essays and getting them marked by teachers since you have identified that as a weakness and completing as many past papers as you can, particularly for Maths. This will likely improve you marks much more whilst requiring less time. A straight A student in Year 9/10 should only have to do 2 hours a night if they are studying effectively.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)