Reality Check (1 Viewer)

hornet

I am doing this for the greater good, try not to be too hard on me :)

Everyone by now around here probably has their results (or not, if they are gutsy enough to hold off!). From looking around here, it looks like everyone has done really well, and for that, I gotta say, great work people!

But try not to get too carried away, particularly with the UAI estimator. What alarmed me initially was so many people were getting good marks.... maybe we are all just super bright around here... then I got some proof. This year, more people have got into the higher bands than last year. In SDD, there are about 6x as many people in band 6 as last year, and IPT about the same (both are 1.8% band 6 now). A friend of mine was able to look at the principals report briefly (the thing they get sent which has every student at their school + reports on % in each band). He told me to hold off thinking about my uai - because so many more people are in band 6 this year than last year. Lazseeker has the 2001 HSC information locked into it, in which less people did well - so our fantastic results are skewed to look even better (like we are smart vs the less smart last year so we look better - but against each other, we are not as much better as we thought we were (omg what crap english)).

So just be careful guys. Give lazseeker a huge margin for error (5? for a typical 80- low 90's course). I would hate to see people go through what some of last years year 12's did with their hsc results vs uai :/

Anyhow, whatever, GOOD LUCK ALL! and you all did well from the looks of it around here!!

hornet

Thanks bon.

What I mean, "Whats 2 cum ahead", is that last year was the new hsc, the board fucked up a bit, some syllabus's were a bit out of whack, fewer people read the criteria when answering questions etc. This year, things are better for students and students are doing better. As a result, if... 50 people got band 6 in a given subject last year, 100 might have this time. Meaning that your taking your nice new results, comparing it to people who had more problems with the whole thing, so you will look better than you may be versus the rest of the 2002 candidates (who also performed better than last years candidates)... sort of thing

Basically keep your hopes a little controlled, dont rely on lazseeker to get an accurate uai, give it a margin for error or just ignore (to some extent) its results.... wait until tomorrow hey :)

Good luck anyhow!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
would you by any chance have any info on band 6s of other subjects ... such as eng adv for example ...

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
I think Laz said that he got those distributions from only the subjects that the school undertook, so you might have to visit your school....

schwang_thang

Originally posted by hornet
What alarmed me initially was so many people were getting good marks.... maybe we are all just super bright around here... then I got some proof. This year, more people have got into the higher bands than last year.
same same...practically every1 i had spoken 2 had achieved at least 1 band 6, with the majority of their marks either within the band 5 or 6 range. im happi 4 these ppl, but i have 2 admit im actually a tad shocked at the large no's...my marks compared 2 every1 elses seem so mediocre now (dammit!)

this is deja vu!!! bloody 2001 all over again..:( every1 is currently ecstatic (or at the least, pleasantly surprised) with their results, but come 2molo we'll b disappointed with how low the UAIs r

just a qstn: does ne1 know wat marks UAC uses to calculate the UAI's? r they the raw marks or HSC marks?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Re: Re: Reality Check

Originally posted by schwang_thang

just a qstn: does ne1 know wat marks UAC uses to calculate the UAI's? r they the raw marks or HSC marks?
i think they use the raw marks (both the internal and the external) ...

CorkDagga

eah u can get all the %'s from the bored of studies site.

go to it and under site news go to the link where it says 'See some band percentiles and exam means for the 2002 HSC!'

it has all the mean and SD plus how many got in what band for the most common subjects

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)