Thread: How often do students achieved ATAR but DON"T get an offer into a uni course?

Cadet
    HSC

How often do students achieved ATAR but DON"T get an offer into a uni course?

I've just finished my HSC (yay!) and hoping to get an offer into a course with a cut off ATAR of 84.20. I'm confident that I can achieve that ATAR, but what worries me is that cut off marks can change every year. The cut off for this course last year was 80 - so it's gone up a bit and I'm worried it will go up again. I'm just wondering how common it is that a student will get an ATAR above the cut off and then NOT get a first round offer into a course. Say I get 85, am I at a real risk of not being accepted?

HSC

Re: How often do students achieved ATAR but DON"T get an offer into a uni course?

You'll most likely be offered
    Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.

Solar Education - CHEAP Quality Tutoring

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 HSC (Accelerated): // 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //
    2017 HSC: // English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //
    Goal: 99.8+

Cadet
    HSC

Re: How often do students achieved ATAR but DON"T get an offer into a uni course?

Yeah, most likely you will get the offer if you get any bonus points. Normally they portray the cut-off without any bonus points.
    2016 HSC: Software Design & Development - State Ranked
    2017 HSC: Advanced English - Mathematics 2U - Physics - Engineering Studies - Information Processes and Technology

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Eluate View Post
    Yeah, most likely you will get the offer if you get any bonus points. Normally they portray the cut-off without any bonus points.
    She wouldn’t need bonus points if she's above the cut off already, most likely will be one of the first to get an offer
    Last edited by sabbabbby; 4 Nov 2017 at 9:08 PM.
    neurophysiology

2017’ HSC alumnus

2018 UWS Med. Science Student (CBT)

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

I'd say if you achieve that ATAR it is unlikely that you won't get an offer.
    I can barely see up and down and back again
    Despite what you believe I keep away from trouble
    If who I am today's a sign of where I'm going
    I'm ready to embrace

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Don't forget to "vote"(post) in the postal plebiscite!
    On break from site until late November.

D94
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by lilythorburn View Post
    I'm just wondering how common it is that a student will get an ATAR above the cut off and then NOT get a first round offer into a course.
    Unless it is a guaranteed entry rank, all 'cutoffs' are determined after offers have been given out, not before. If your ATAR is above the cutoff, you will get an offer. What you are referring to is your ATAR above last year's cutoff, which has no bearing on this year's cutoff. You are competing for a position in a course - if there are only 10 spots available this year, then the ATAR of the 10th person becomes the cutoff - that is by definition.

The only thing you can do is to get as many marks as possible in the HSC - that is within your control. Everything else is beyond your control.

Thread Information