Setting performance goals for HSC? (1 Viewer)

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi all, I'm going into Year 12 and I plan to study English Adv., 4U Maths, Chemistry and SDD.

I attend a top 10 school - approximately how would I need to perform relative to my cohort to get a mid-high Band 5 in English?

Also, is it likely that I can get a mid-90s ATAR or more if I get a low-mid Band 5 in English and a solid Band 6/E4 in all my other subjects?

Thanks.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi all, I'm going into Year 12 and I plan to study English Adv., 4U Maths, Chemistry and SDD.

I attend a top 10 school - approximately how would I need to perform relative to my cohort to get a mid-high Band 5 in English?

Also, is it likely that I can get a mid-90s ATAR or more if I get a low-mid Band 5 in English and a solid Band 6/E4 in all my other subjects?

Thanks.
Yes it's possible and yep its a good idea to have a set of goals as it provides motivation for u to work toward something (however be realistic in these)

captainneuro

HSC

Thanks.
You're in a top 10 school, if you do get those results, you'll easily achieve/surpass mid 90's atar.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
You're in a top 10 school, if you do get those results, you'll easily achieve/surpass mid 90's atar.
The school rank doesn't affect the ATAR as a low-mid band 5 in english and a band 6/E4 in all other subjects would be exactly the same in a rank 700 school as a rank 1 school. The only thing that the high rank school is improving is the chance that others drag you up in HSC and lift up your assessment mark as lots of people will do well.

captainneuro

HSC
The school rank doesn't affect the ATAR as a low-mid band 5 in english and a band 6/E4 in all other subjects would be exactly the same in a rank 700 school as a rank 1 school. The only thing that the high rank school is improving is the chance that others drag you up in HSC and lift up your assessment mark as lots of people will do well.
Yeah that's what I was referring to haha, should've made myself clearer. He won't have to worry about people dragging him down in his cohort (especially eng) as the chances are slim in a higher ranked school like his. But yeah it wouldn't make a difference if he's 1st in all his subs.

Last edited:

SuperAltastic

HSC
I would make goals for the HSC overall and for each assessment, as that is what I did and it kept me on track (make an excel sheet it helps with this).For the bigger ATAR goal you have I would work back words pick an ATAR and see what marks you need to get it and write it down on a piece of paper and stick it where you see it everyday i.e. on a wall or a desk. DO NOT DEVIATE FROM IT leave it and stare at it day in and out and I promise you it will keep you motivated to achieve all your goals.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I would make goals for the HSC overall and for each assessment, as that is what I did and it kept me on track (make an excel sheet it helps with this).For the bigger ATAR goal you have I would work back words pick an ATAR and see what marks you need to get it and write it down on a piece of paper and stick it where you see it everyday i.e. on a wall or a desk. DO NOT DEVIATE FROM IT leave it and stare at it day in and out and I promise you it will keep you motivated to achieve all your goals.
lol first line is bs, he already made goals for uni and the next five years (I know him in real life ahahahaha), but yeah that paper thingy is a good idea

SuperAltastic

HSC
lol first line is bs, he already made goals for uni and the next five years (I know him in real life ahahahaha), but yeah that paper thingy is a good idea
Yep thats true I had it organised before I started the HSC.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)