Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pikachu975
  • 1 Post By sabbabbby

Thread: Setting performance goals for HSC?

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    1

    Setting performance goals for HSC?

    Hi all, I'm going into Year 12 and I plan to study English Adv., 4U Maths, Chemistry and SDD.

    I attend a top 10 school - approximately how would I need to perform relative to my cohort to get a mid-high Band 5 in English?

    Also, is it likely that I can get a mid-90s ATAR or more if I get a low-mid Band 5 in English and a solid Band 6/E4 in all my other subjects?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member jazz519's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    808
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Setting performance goals for HSC?

    Quote Originally Posted by fan96 View Post
    Hi all, I'm going into Year 12 and I plan to study English Adv., 4U Maths, Chemistry and SDD.

    I attend a top 10 school - approximately how would I need to perform relative to my cohort to get a mid-high Band 5 in English?

    Also, is it likely that I can get a mid-90s ATAR or more if I get a low-mid Band 5 in English and a solid Band 6/E4 in all my other subjects?

    Thanks.
    Yes it's possible and yep its a good idea to have a set of goals as it provides motivation for u to work toward something (however be realistic in these)
    99.70 Notes + Free Technique Sheet: http://tinyurl.com/jazz519notes
    High Quality Advice Thread: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...ml#post7271068
    2015 - 2U (Accelerated) (96)
    2016 - Eng Adv(97) | Chem(93) | 2U(98) | 3U(48) | Phys(94) | Bus(94)
    ATAR: 99.70 Dux

    2017 - UNSW Adv. Science (Hons) (Chem) (AAA scholarship & The Late Stephen Robjohns Science Scholarship)
    Chem, Maths, English Tutor

  3. #3
    Cadet sabbabbby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Setting performance goals for HSC?

    Quote Originally Posted by fan96 View Post
    Hi all, I'm going into Year 12 and I plan to study English Adv., 4U Maths, Chemistry and SDD.

    I attend a top 10 school - approximately how would I need to perform relative to my cohort to get a mid-high Band 5 in English?

    Also, is it likely that I can get a mid-90s ATAR or more if I get a low-mid Band 5 in English and a solid Band 6/E4 in all my other subjects?

    Thanks.
    You're in a top 10 school, if you do get those results, you'll easily achieve/surpass mid 90's atar.
    neurophysiology

    2017’ HSC alumnus

    2018 UWS Med. Science Student (CBT)

  4. #4
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,956
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Setting performance goals for HSC?

    Quote Originally Posted by sabbabbby View Post
    You're in a top 10 school, if you do get those results, you'll easily achieve/surpass mid 90's atar.
    The school rank doesn't affect the ATAR as a low-mid band 5 in english and a band 6/E4 in all other subjects would be exactly the same in a rank 700 school as a rank 1 school. The only thing that the high rank school is improving is the chance that others drag you up in HSC and lift up your assessment mark as lots of people will do well.
    sabbabbby likes this.
    Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.

    Solar Education - CHEAP Quality Tutoring

    Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    2016 HSC (Accelerated): // 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //
    2017 HSC: // English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //
    Goal: 99.8+

  5. #5
    Cadet sabbabbby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Setting performance goals for HSC?

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    The school rank doesn't affect the ATAR as a low-mid band 5 in english and a band 6/E4 in all other subjects would be exactly the same in a rank 700 school as a rank 1 school. The only thing that the high rank school is improving is the chance that others drag you up in HSC and lift up your assessment mark as lots of people will do well.
    Yeah that's what I was referring to haha, should've made myself clearer. He won't have to worry about people dragging him down in his cohort (especially eng) as the chances are slim in a higher ranked school like his. But yeah it wouldn't make a difference if he's 1st in all his subs.
    Last edited by sabbabbby; 8 Nov 2017 at 9:53 PM. Reason: typo
    pikachu975 likes this.
    neurophysiology

    2017’ HSC alumnus

    2018 UWS Med. Science Student (CBT)

  6. #6
    Cadet SuperAltastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    62
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Setting performance goals for HSC?

    I would make goals for the HSC overall and for each assessment, as that is what I did and it kept me on track (make an excel sheet it helps with this).For the bigger ATAR goal you have I would work back words pick an ATAR and see what marks you need to get it and write it down on a piece of paper and stick it where you see it everyday i.e. on a wall or a desk. DO NOT DEVIATE FROM IT leave it and stare at it day in and out and I promise you it will keep you motivated to achieve all your goals.
    WANT ANY ECONOMICS HELP OR TIPS JUST MESSAGE ME AND I'LL TRY RESPOND ASAP
    HSC 2015: Studies of Religion I [Accelerated] (46) |
    HSC 2016: English Advanced (90) | Mathematics (94) | Economics (95) | Chemistry (89) | Biology (91)
    ATAR: 97.80
    2017-2022: B. Economics and Advanced Science (Honours) @ UNSW.

  7. #7
    Senior Member jazz519's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    808
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Setting performance goals for HSC?

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperAltastic View Post
    I would make goals for the HSC overall and for each assessment, as that is what I did and it kept me on track (make an excel sheet it helps with this).For the bigger ATAR goal you have I would work back words pick an ATAR and see what marks you need to get it and write it down on a piece of paper and stick it where you see it everyday i.e. on a wall or a desk. DO NOT DEVIATE FROM IT leave it and stare at it day in and out and I promise you it will keep you motivated to achieve all your goals.
    lol first line is bs, he already made goals for uni and the next five years (I know him in real life ahahahaha), but yeah that paper thingy is a good idea
    99.70 Notes + Free Technique Sheet: http://tinyurl.com/jazz519notes
    High Quality Advice Thread: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...ml#post7271068
    2015 - 2U (Accelerated) (96)
    2016 - Eng Adv(97) | Chem(93) | 2U(98) | 3U(48) | Phys(94) | Bus(94)
    ATAR: 99.70 Dux

    2017 - UNSW Adv. Science (Hons) (Chem) (AAA scholarship & The Late Stephen Robjohns Science Scholarship)
    Chem, Maths, English Tutor

  8. #8
    Cadet SuperAltastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    62
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Setting performance goals for HSC?

    Quote Originally Posted by jazz519 View Post
    lol first line is bs, he already made goals for uni and the next five years (I know him in real life ahahahaha), but yeah that paper thingy is a good idea
    Yep thats true I had it organised before I started the HSC.
    Last edited by SuperAltastic; 9 Nov 2017 at 10:58 AM.
    WANT ANY ECONOMICS HELP OR TIPS JUST MESSAGE ME AND I'LL TRY RESPOND ASAP
    HSC 2015: Studies of Religion I [Accelerated] (46) |
    HSC 2016: English Advanced (90) | Mathematics (94) | Economics (95) | Chemistry (89) | Biology (91)
    ATAR: 97.80
    2017-2022: B. Economics and Advanced Science (Honours) @ UNSW.

  9. #9
    Senior Member jazz519's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    808
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Setting performance goals for HSC?

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperAltastic View Post
    Yep thats true I had it organised before I started the HSC.
    lmao I knew it
    99.70 Notes + Free Technique Sheet: http://tinyurl.com/jazz519notes
    High Quality Advice Thread: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...ml#post7271068
    2015 - 2U (Accelerated) (96)
    2016 - Eng Adv(97) | Chem(93) | 2U(98) | 3U(48) | Phys(94) | Bus(94)
    ATAR: 99.70 Dux

    2017 - UNSW Adv. Science (Hons) (Chem) (AAA scholarship & The Late Stephen Robjohns Science Scholarship)
    Chem, Maths, English Tutor

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •