SMH Honour Roll... (1 Viewer)

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
I just noticed that they posted maths ext 1 as 2 units even when the students are only doing 3 units of maths... :p while the english one's correct.

It looked funny at the time.

hornet

Cuz they are 4u maths students. In 4U, extension1 counts as 2 units, extension2 counts as 2 units (thus the total of 4u)

extension1 only (ie 3u) students should have it listed as only 1 unit of extension 1 maths

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
yeah, that's what BJ was saying.

i haven't read the paper, meself.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
hmmm they didn't publish my accelerated mathematics extension 1 result where I scored 95 (E4) in 2001 on this year's list.

But I guess I got mentioned for it last year.

Yeah for those who only do 3 unit it should be mathematics extension 1 1 unit not 2 units. Thats only for 4 unit students.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
no, they only publish it the year that you did it, because you can't compare a 95 in one year to a 95 in another year.

that's also why they take the scaling of the year that you did it when calculating your UAI.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
It's also interesting how the list the top students in each course, not just the to student. Friend from school came 4th in the state for Japanese Extension...but he's japanese.

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
Originally posted by hornet
Cuz they are 4u maths students. In 4U, extension1 counts as 2 units, extension2 counts as 2 units (thus the total of 4u)

extension1 only (ie 3u) students should have it listed as only 1 unit of extension 1 maths
no no
ive seen students that only do 3 unit, not 4 unit - and theirs was listed as 2 units for extension 1 >_<
and i can be sure they are 3 unit kids cos i know em in real life and cos they aare also listed for mathematics

kini mini

HSC
Mine is printed ok online, dunno about in the paper though :confused:

timmii

sporadic attendee
I also noticed the mistake on the honour roll today. I was feeling rather chuffed and tried to explain to my parents the mistake but when i was met by their rather blank looks i realised how esoteric an error it is. Very few ppl actually know/understand/care about the difference between maths ext for 3u and 4u ppl, and i guess the poor education editor for the smh isn't one of them - i mean why would he/she?

Rather enjoy being on there! Congrats to all :)

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
perhaps they just do a search and replace on course numbers with course names, so they just replaced the course number for 3 unit maths with "mathematics extension 1 2 unit". The daily telegraph just has the name of the student and the course number. Makes it hard to read.

I got both papers. Am i sad?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)