Thread: question about HSC results and preferences

HSC

question about HSC results and preferences

I got marks today that in most calculators score 88-90ish, I want to do bachelor of science at unsw (85) so im good unless i get completely butt fucked by scaling.

I am wondering that if I got 90ish as my final atar would it be worth selecting unsw bachelor of advanced science(95) as my first preference. My science and maths marks are good enough that i can get 5 bonus points easy and maybe 1 or 2 for disadvantage (distance ed) so i have high potential for 5 bonus points and decent chance of 6-7.

I'm aware that I wont get offer in first round but maybe in 2nd and 3rd?

So what are my chances of getting in with 90 and a bunch of bonus points (probs low but meh)?

also for unsw students is adv sci significantly better than normal sci/ worth it? (for these potential majors: biotechnology, molec and cell bio, chemistry, neurosci, genetics and microbiology-yeah i got no idea where to go)
    Last edited by shumphrey; 14 Dec 2017 at 7:59 PM.

HSC

Re: question about HSC results and preferences

I can't give a specific answer in regards to your major.
    But generally the difference between advanced and normal science is that you have to do an extra years of honours, however your courses for the first 3 years would be exactly the same.

If I were you, I would put Adv Sci then normal Sci as 1st and 2nd preference respectively(or other advance courses in between if you're up for those) and if only the normal science degree is offered, I would take it and transfer into Adv Sci after one year since it actually doesn't hinder your progress at all (unless you fail a course that is)
    “Smart people learn from their mistakes. But the real sharp ones learn from the mistakes of others.”
    ― Brandon Mull

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by integral95 View Post
    I can't give a specific answer in regards to your major.
    But generally the difference between advanced and normal science is that you have to do an extra years of honours, however your courses for the first 3 years would be exactly the same.

If I were you, I would put Adv Sci then normal Sci as 1st and 2nd preference respectively(or other advance courses in between if you're up for those) and if only the normal science degree is offered, I would take it and transfer into Adv Sci after one year since it actually doesn't hinder your progress at all (unless you fail a course that is)
    so if u can still do honours and post grad with B Sci-whats the point of adv sci? Prestige?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by shumphrey View Post
    so if u can still do honours and post grad with B Sci-whats the point of adv sci? Prestige?
    Yeah you can say that, and cash grabs for the uni sighhhh.
    “Smart people learn from their mistakes. But the real sharp ones learn from the mistakes of others.”
    ― Brandon Mull

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by integral95 View Post
    Yeah you can say that, and cash grabs for the uni sighhhh.
    cash grabs? like it costs more or attracts more students and makes them more money (like marketing?)

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by shumphrey View Post
    cash grabs? like it costs more or attracts more students and makes them more money (like marketing?)
    The latter, any business would use any tactical marketing strategies they can get
    ― Brandon Mull

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

just put it first anyway

advanced science is different to b science in that you take the higher level subjects & complete an hons year

Thread Information