only dot points or more?? (1 Viewer)

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
hi ppl
i have just started yr12! i do physics , chem, n bio
i wud like 2 know dat for the hsc , do v just need 2 do the dot points thouroughly or go thru all the text bks as well???

let me know soon
n congrats 2 every1 for their results~

Twintip

Hi, I'll be doing Physics and Chemistry next year. If you just know the syllabus content back-to-front, you'll be fine. The syllabus is expressed as those dot points and naturally they won't ask you anything that isn't in the syllabus, so just stick to the dot points. Usually, the textbooks are written in accordance with the syllabus of the subject, but you may have heard that they recently cut out 15% of the Chem and Phys courses for next year. They haven't had time to compile new text books for our year so we need to make sure that we only put effort into the areas of the textbook that are relevant to the course (by only learning what the dot-points specify). :) Some extended knowledge may be useful in padding out your answers, but it is hard to specify what specific areas of extended knowledge may be useful.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Twintip
Hi, I'll be doing Physics and Chemistry next year. If you just know the syllabus content back-to-front, you'll be fine. The syllabus is expressed as those dot points and naturally they won't ask you anything that isn't in the syllabus, so just stick to the dot points. Usually, the textbooks are written in accordance with the syllabus of the subject, but you may have heard that they recently cut out 15% of the Chem and Phys courses for next year. They haven't had time to compile new text books for our year so we need to make sure that we only put effort into the areas of the textbook that are relevant to the course (by only learning what the dot-points specify). :) Some extended knowledge may be useful in padding out your answers, but it is hard to specify what specific areas of extended knowledge may be useful.
I finished my phys and chem this year - that is what I did, go by dot pts. I wrote practice answers for the more difficult ones as well as making notes.

sunny

meh.
HSC
I would be careful though. Content in SDD that was in the Course Specifications which was not in the syllabus came up in the HSC exam.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by sunny
I would be careful though. Content in SDD that was in the Course Specifications which was not in the syllabus came up in the HSC exam.
I assumed those were counted in the dot points, I was certainly well aware of that possibility going into the exam :confused:

sunny

meh.
HSC
Actually, the Course Specifications and the syllabus are two separate documents, and most people will look at the syllabus only.

syllabus
course specifications

Search both documents for "context diagrams". You'll find it in the course specifications but not the syllabus, and context diagrams was a 3 mark question 21c part i

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by elizabethy
hi ppl
i have just started yr12! i do physics , chem, n bio
i wud like 2 know dat for the hsc , do v just need 2 do the dot points thouroughly or go thru all the text bks as well???
If it's not in the syllabus, they can't ask it...they have to stick to that, cos everyone uses different textbooks!
But it may be useful to go through the whole book, to make sure you really understand it....but theres no need to memorise specific things it they're not outlined-just get the basic drift.

hgpstar

Just the dotpoints is all you have to do, and texbooks are unbeleivably padded out. I did full syllabus summaries for physics, chem and geography and there is so much superfluous shit, its unbelievable. Its useful for geog, in essay questions, but in phys and chem, don't bother knowing anything else. just remember - if they ask you to describe in a dotpoint, they cant ask you to explain, or anything too much harder. But if they ask you to explain or analyse, you could have to describe in the exam. So the lesson here is learn your verbs, and use them to follow your syllabus, but try to be a little bit more comprehansive than you need to. oooh, plus alot of exam questions are almost direct syllabus quotes anyway, esp for sciences.

If anyone is interested I may be able to provide a copy of a booklet in which I took each dot point and witht the help of all the trial papers I compiled from the hsc kidz website and other sources wrote questions and answers that correlated directly to the dot point, but I only got as far as the first 2 main core topics and about half of the option for each physics and chem as I only spent about 2-3 weeks on it.

pri

HSC
N/A
could you post that or something? Im doing chem currently and I need all the help i can get

yes i will try to but it is in a book and it is hand written but i might get somenoe to type it up or hand it in to ian and give him a punch for being a coles boy, woolworths rocks, cos we are the fresh food people we have to irradicate our competition even if it is slim to none, wait maybe i'll let ian( fatmuscle) become a spy and he can deliberately start sabotaging grocery deliveries and placing the coca colas where the beans go. hahahaha , this is only the beginning. btw just jking guys,no offence ian.

Twintip

At school we are given 'syllabus worsheets' which are bundled in a handbook for each module. In each worksheet is a question relating to a specific syllabus dot point. In theory, they should be all we need to study from. They are a brilliant resource, it's just a pity that some people don't take them seriously and don't get the full benefit from them. Anyway, that's how I deal with the dot points. :)

wow you're really lucky our school couldn't provide us with such resources so i had to make my own, its not too bad, i also haveanswers and for some questions alternative answers including my own and from other places like succes one etc, its not too shabby for 2.5 weeks work

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
;) hey twintip
cud u not provide a copy of those worksheets for us? co'z they really sound 2 be gud! by da way which skool do u go to?

n r u just doing da dot points ? cud u help me with this one?
describe the reaction involved when condensation polymerisation takes place?

i have just started yr 1 2 , i wanna get a uai of 99+ co'z i wanna take medicine. :cool:

neways plz reply soon

pri

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by elizabethy
;)
i have just started yr 1 2 , i wanna get a uai of 99+ co'z i wanna take medicine. :cool:

hang on I thought medicine was 96 with an interview and UMAT?!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)