regional schools - how did you go? (1 Viewer)

hgpstar

how many people are at regional schools and what did you get? im convinced that its virtually impossible to get a SPECTACULAR mark in our damn hick schools. i know its all about individual work, but i'm just trying to get a grasp on what everyone else thinks.

Durban

i think us regional kids have a harder time, getting a great mark.. I worked moderatly hard and got 81, but i think a better and more academic centered environment would have helped me get a better mark.

but who cares, im so happy with what i got!!

drolle

I go to a regional school with about 100 ppl in year 12, and as far as I know we've got a 96 (me), two 93s, and two 91s, which isn't too bad.

I did about 5 hours study per exam, but those of you who've read my posts would be getting sick of me saying that by now :), however I'm good friends with the guy who got one of those 93s, and he worked really hard (and it showed, he used to be a lot worse than equal 2nd!)

kate

regional too
got me a 96.9
i did the "night before" study
wouldve been interested to see what id have got if i put a bit more effort in
we also got a 93.something

think its the competition that the regional schools lack that make us not try as hard or something

anyway
thats just my 2 cents

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
I went to a coffs harbour school which is kind of regional and got 98.5. Atleast I can get into the course I want to do yay :D

ChillerZ

Hey Dave Rolle.. it's Matt

Congrats on getting 96.. what r ya doin next year? Hey how did you end up with 96 when u only got band 6 in 1 subject? I got band 6 in 2 subjects but only got 92.9 :( but it's OK I got the scholarship I was after for some reason so I don't need to stress out about what I'm gunna get into :)

R u going to Sydney or Brisbane? Not many ppl from our school our going south to Sydney.. most r going north and some r staying around the area..

xanadu2428

HSC
N/A
I live in a reginal area and did the hsc all through distance education, i worked really hard and got 77 which im stoked with, as someone said above the competition is whats lacking in the reginal areas, along with the educational facilities.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
i don't know how regional newcastle is (well, it's oustide of sydney, so regional by their standards :p), but i got 97.95, which i was really happy with (and quite surprised about). i go (or went) to newcastle grammar, and according to our headmaster over 55% of our year (which is a pretty small year, only about 80-90 ppl) got a 90-plus UAI.

Coffee_Fan

Wait for the dark
We did alright

I come from Tamworth, and our school did pretty good.

The highest at our school was 99.45, we got a 98.something, a 97.something and few low-mid nineties and alot of 80s.
I got 71.95:(

Like alot of other people said, i think regional schools lack the competitive vibe that the city kids have.
our school was pretty competitive, but i still think it's a crime that alot of kids turn 18 in the hsc year!!

alys

well, i guess if newcastle is regional then coffs definitely is - so. i got 99.6, and we had a 98.75, a 96.45, someone in the 96-7 area, a 94.something, and quite a few in the low 90s and high 80s. i'm not sure exactly of the details. our school has had everything up to 99.95 in the past.

according to our local newspaper (and who can say if that can be trusted), there were 22 regional students on the all-rounders list, which supports the argument that it's bloody hard to get a great mark in a country school, since there were 600-odd on the list altogether. two of them came from our school, yay.

according to my prinicpal, there were only two students outside the sydney metropolitan area to get above ninety in seven or more courses. of course, that's not a great reflection of anything because not everyone does seven or more courses, but i found it rather astounding all the same.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
hey I was just wondering the average number of year 12's in sydney schools (well sydney and the suburbs) We've only got about 100

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by alys

according to my prinicpal, there were only two students outside the sydney metropolitan area to get above ninety in seven or more courses. of course, that's not a great reflection of anything because not everyone does seven or more courses, but i found it rather astounding all the same.
I got 90+ in 7 courses - even in a large metropolitan school scheduling 7 courses is very difficult, assuming your school happens to offer 7 courses you actually want to do. I had to have morning classes. I suppose this problem would be even worse in a smaller regional school, and if there's little incentive to do that many courses few will.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
I got to a school in suburban sydney, its private, and we had 108 yr 12 students. The local public schools though have around 250 for a grade. Our school did ok, we got a 99.4 a couple of 97's (me)and a whole bunch of low 90s.

But what seems good to us really doesnt seem good to other schools. Our school was not really competitive though. Our Dux has been known since Year 7, and everyone else sort of settled for 2nd best. I wouldnt have gone anywhere else though, even if it would have meant I had would have done better, because academia isnt the only part of school.

alys

Originally posted by kini mini

I got 90+ in 7 courses - even in a large metropolitan school scheduling 7 courses is very difficult, assuming your school happens to offer 7 courses you actually want to do. I had to have morning classes. I suppose this problem would be even worse in a smaller regional school, and if there's little incentive to do that many courses few will.

true, true. i got 90+ in 7, and i took 8, but i had french and french ext by distance ed, english ext after school and ext 2 during lunch. between that and debating, i had no lunchtimes for most of year 12.

kate

wow
talk about dedication
no way i coulda ever lasted more than a few days with that work load

schwang_thang

Originally posted by YEAR11
hey I was just wondering the average number of year 12's in sydney schools (well sydney and the suburbs) We've only got about 100
our school is pretty big i think (~1200 students), we're in the inner western suburbs, abt 10km west of the CBD. we had 180 in our form

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)