Reactions to UAIs! (1 Viewer)

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
What did your parents, friends, teachers, etc -think about your UAI?
(also say your UAI if you reply!)

I got 92.
My parents were quite happy...my sister had gotton 96.05 so I think they were a little disappointed, but they never said anything about it to me.
I e-mailed by principal cos she asked what I got, and she seemed very happy about it. (It may sound low to some of you reading this, but 92 is quite a good UAI for my school.)

del

HSC
N/A
i got 96.55

I was heaps happy 'cos I only expected 93 at most... My parent's were happy 'cos I was happy, and they knew the effort I'd put in through the whole year..

My teachers were heaps rapt too... some probably just as if not more happy that me 'cos after results were released on Thursday they didn't think I'd get over 90 (probably 'cos I didn't do any extensions)

kini mini

HSC
My parents were happy with me, my mum was really worried all year. 99.85.

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
i only expected a low UAI, about in the low 80's or high 70's and my parents new that...so they were obviously ecstatic with my 95.45...

schwang_thang

same, i was expecting a UAI of newhere b/w 85 and 95...i told my parents 2 not expect great things of me but i did surprising well in the end - 97.50. the hsc puts so much self-doubt in2 u...

sillyrat

I got 99.1
My parents are getting really annoyed with me since they are expecting a much better mark (even though they have always known that i hardly did any work throughout the year...):mad1:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
my parents are content or relatively happy ... friends say comforting thing ... im becoming more and more content ...

hornet

Bit of background knowledge: in yr 9 and 10, while I was in the advanced stream for eng/maths/science, I was really a bludger. Pretty much in the lower half of all 3, yet usually safe enough to stay in them. Mum and (family) friends got the idea that I was lazy etc..... so thats the battle I have been fighting.

In yr10 I found out a course I wanted to do... and needed 85. I made a good effort thru yr11, and had it been the hsc, I would have been around 85. In late year 11, I found the ultimate course for me.... problem was, I needed 91.

Basically in yr12 I worked my ass off... for me anyhow... bout as much work as I have done in my entire school life, doubled, at least. I got into EAS, which ment I only needed 82.... tho I kept at it. When it was all done and over, I expected mid 80's high 80's.

Then I got 94.50 :) Mum was ecstatic... especially considering she knew the huge effort I made, where I came from with not doing any work previously etc.... Friends of hers were also ecstatic, as they had the same view of me... so I showed em all :)

As for me friends, they are all happy for me, but I haven't been able to speak about it much at all. Hows this for a tough situation: just as I am about to tell a friend I got 94.50... and expecting him to get really happy over it.... he gets his... 56.9. He was shellshocked from that. How do I say "yeah man, i aced it, 5 more than I thought, 94.50!". Pretty much any friends of mine who didn't have their uai yet, I told and were very happy/screaming over the phone.... but any who did, just said "ah ok", cuz they all got 50-60-70's, all about 10 lower than each wanted :/ Any advice on situations like that?

schwang_thang

Originally posted by hornet

As for me friends, they are all happy for me, but I haven't been able to speak about it much at all. Hows this for a tough situation: just as I am about to tell a friend I got 94.50... and expecting him to get really happy over it.... he gets his... 56.9. He was shellshocked from that. How do I say "yeah man, i aced it, 5 more than I thought, 94.50!". Pretty much any friends of mine who didn't have their uai yet, I told and were very happy/screaming over the phone.... but any who did, just said "ah ok", cuz they all got 50-60-70's, all about 10 lower than each wanted :/ Any advice on situations like that?
yeah that wasnt a nice situation 2 be in...
the ppl who aced it initially thought they'd get much less, whereas the ppl who didnt go so well had expected alot more
4 those who didnt go so well, i just offered advice abt transferring courses, alternatives at tafe yada yada...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Bon: The thing u can be content with is that u can get into the course u wanna do, and as u said, thats wat the UAI is for. It'll all be forgotten come March next yr.

One thing that I've been hearing from my friends about my own performance is something like "Who would've thought, back in Year 7 and 8 that u'd be getting 95.25 for ur UAI"
I got into a selective high school in year 7, but this particular one wasn't really hard to get into. In year 7 to the beginning of year 10, I was a really average student, getting a large proportion of C's and B's for science, maths, english etc every half-yearly and yearly report. But yeah by the middle of year 10, I realised what I wanted to do I guess, but I was disappointed in my school cert. results, even though I deserved them (86 english, 79 maths, 76 science)

Anyway in year 11 I turned into a "nerd" so to speak, making the library my second home after school everyday, I jus thought if i studied hard enough, I could improve? Well, I ended up topping Economics, and coming 10th out of 120+ in 2U maths, and top 20 from 120+ in english. I kinda slipped lower in yr12, but that was because everyone else started working their ass off I guess.

For me personally, I am happy that I got what I got, so are my parents, considering the level of my ability since junior school. It proves as well, that the HSC is not a measure of one's intelligence, but a measure of how effectively one can study.

Fi

Friends and i were all on msn.........then 8am..................it went quiet for a minute........................... then ahhh, msn went mad with friends posting their UAI's...........i told my mum, and she began crying.

afnya

Originally posted by MinAi

In year 7 to the beginning of year 10, I was a really average student, getting a large proportion of C's and B's for science, maths, english etc every half-yearly and yearly report. But yeah by the middle of year 10, I realised what I wanted to do I guess, but I was disappointed in my school cert. results, even though I deserved them (86 english, 79 maths, 76 science)

shit ay thats a solid improvement. i did waaaaaaaaaaay better in school certificate than i did in hsc. i got 88 in maths & science and 85 4 english. i guess i never took hsc seriously enough and my marks reflected that (59.65)

timmii

sporadic attendee
HSC results: 6 am pleased. 9am happy. 11am (sleeping from staying up all night). 3pm worried from reading other ppl's marks on website and percentile stats. 10pm - absolutely distraught, crying, convinced i won't get into my course. Determined not to check uai.

Friday morning slept until 9:45 (as opposed to being eager the night before)..mum dragged me out of bed to check despite vehement protestations on my part. Saw UAI - I started crying from relief, she started crying from relief. Called dad - he started crying from relief. Only really hit me what had happened at about 2pm - was then happy. Rather strange and emotional 2 days.

flosh's gurl

moderatly happy. beginning to become happier as i hear some friends marks, brought back down to earth by some other marks. hmm i am soo very average.

CoYLiE

not overly happy.... you would think that if you got an exam mark of 50/50 for an extension 2 subject it would aid ur uai more than 94.75... i got really high band 5's for the rest of my subjects... i don't know... it just seems a bit strange....

CoYLiE

yeh... i realise that.... but it just seems wrong... oh so wrong! hahah.... but i'm pretty sure i'll get into my course.... so it's all good....

Shocker_85

Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings
What did your parents, friends, teachers, etc -think about your UAI?
(also say your UAI if you reply!)

I got 92.
My parents were quite happy...my sister had gotton 96.05 so I think they were a little disappointed, but they never said anything about it to me.
I e-mailed by principal cos she asked what I got, and she seemed very happy about it. (It may sound low to some of you reading this, but 92 is quite a good UAI for my school.)

wat school did u go 2?

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by Twintip
I guess the HSC is 80% work and 20% talent.
That's not true. I reckon all those people who get UAI of 95+ are talented to some degree and are also hard-working. U won't find anyone who scores a really high UAI and isn't talented to some extent. Being an ex-HSC student, I would say that the HSC is 60% talent, 40% work.

I've seen heaps of people who aren't that talented but work real hard (I call them try-hards) and only got UAI of 80-90. They didn''t score 90 or 95+ because they weren't talented in any particular subject area. You have to be to get in the top of the state.

The school certificate is a load of bull crap anyway, no one cares about it, it doesn't mean anything (for those who go on to do the HSC), and people who are dumb, have no talent, and do no work the whole year can still do well in them. What I can say is that the SC has no bearing on your talent and is an easy way for those leaving year10 to get some sought of impressive mark.

No one should even compare the SC to the HSC. I think the HSC is an accurate measure of one's overall academic success (UAI) and it reflects how the real world works. You work hard, you do well, and you do better if you have talent in a particular area.

The school certificate does not reflect the way the real-world works in anyway.

Anyway, thats my say

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Re: Re: Reactions to UAIs!

Originally posted by Shocker_85

wat school did u go 2?
I'd rather not say...I like my anonymity.;)
It's a public school on Sydneys North Shore...it usually get about 8-10 or so people with 90+, and the schools estimated average last year was 60, apparently...that's all I'll reveal.:cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)