Failed Maths Half Yearly??? (1 Viewer)

ineedhelplol

HSC
Ok so,

School starts tomorrow which means that we're getting our half yearly marks back. Im pretty confident in all my subjects (bio, art, adv eng, VA) EXCEPT for maths.
I'm terrified that i failed the maths exam, which weighted 25%. I'm currently ranked 77/120 after the first assessment (weighting 15% and mark was 22/42). Yes i know that is a shit mark but the average was terrible and im not mad at my rank. For context i go to a selective school that consistently ranks within the top 10 in NSW. I honestly have NO idea how i went but it wasn't good. Im thinking anywhere between 30-60% which i know is a huge estimate.

Please note that im absolutely trash at maths. although i dont put in as near enough effort as i should (i usually cram in content days before the test) it doesnt come to me naturally unlike all my other subjects.
Ideally i would like a band 6 in maths and an overall atar of 96+ (approx 45 people get band 6's every year) but atm i would be happy with a mid band 5.

So worse case scenario i really fuck up and my rank drops down to bottom 10. What does that mean in terms of how itll affect my atar? Should i drop down to general? Is it still possible to pull myself together and get my ranks up in hopes that i scrape a band 6? How well would i have to do in the rest of the assessments if so?

I really just need some advice atm, preferably from people with similar experiences.

THANK YOU!!

captainneuro

HSC
If it helps, i know someone who was in your situation, dropped to general 2 weeks before trial, ended up getting band 6 for hsc.
You can still get a band 6 in 2u, but would just need to work a lot harder, preferably coming top 30-40 from exams onwards, realistically speaking

Charlie102

HSC
Uni Grad
When I read your comments I feel that there is a confidence problem which needs to be solved first which will then make it easier for you to learn again.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Personally I'm, for a variety of considerations, not in favour of dropping down to General. One reason is, although General is Mickey Mouse maths, you don't have time to do the topics in General; General is not an easier subset of 2U.

Whether you have enough time left for even the best tutor to save you, I cannot say. What I personally hate is being given a struggling student in the middle of Yr 12. It is so hard to help because repair takes time. They are often shit at maths because the never quite learned their Yr 7, 8, 9 and 10 maths properly. I don't know who is to blame - school or student or both. I'm currently tutoring a 4U student - he writes his integrals without the dx or du or whatever; I told him that is mathematically "ungrammatical".

Anyway, good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)