Question on ranks (1 Viewer)

iRolex

HSC
Hey! So, like I have finished all school internal tasks I had a question on my ranking and their affect. Firstly my school is possibly in a lower rank (569 according to BetterEducation.com).

So, I do 3U & 2U Maths, Physics, Business Studies, IDT (VET course), Adv. English.

I got 1st in school for 3U, Physics & IDT VET, and got 2nd in 2U maths and Business and also got strong results consistenly for all these subjects (80-90% constantly).

Except for english I got ranked 17/18, which is one thing that bugs me (tbh did not deserve this lol).

So I would like to ask someone with experience, how negatively will the rank of English affect me? And how will it affect my HSC result and ATAR? (I know it could be difficult to predict but how will one terrible rank interfere totally?). Asking as I have zero experience on HSC moderation or scaling and all that.

Thanks.

Last edited:

c8

HSC
im not entirely sure about this but i think that since they consider your english marks (as it is compulsory), your english mark/rank may affect you more than if it were another subject (since they only consider your top 10 units) but your ranks/marks were really impressive consistently, so it may not bring you down too much

titanium_man23

HSC
Ok with the English Rank, your mark will be moderated so that its in the same ratio with the other ranks and their scaled mark. If the highest english HSC mark in your class was a 95 and the lowest was a 90, then you will get anything in-between. If someone absolutely bombs the exam, the last rank picks up that mark and 2nd place all the way till last will be moderated between there.

Also, your IDT class, are you sure you have rankings? as you don't have any marked assessment tasks in the course, the mark you get in your exam is your final mark - you don't get moderated, nor will it have any external changes.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Externals are 50% pf your ATAR so probably best to just focus on smashing this at this stage.

iRolex

HSC
Oh, the IDT not officially. Yeah I know only the final exam is worth. But I just shared it just incase someone was interested or that gave an idea (however we did have exams and overall school gave us a rank so thats what I told..but of course this isnt submitted to NESA for IDT) :)

Also for IDT, how "terrible" is its scaling? I mean others just say oh it scales epicly bad and I still picked it because it was the only IT course available and I am gonna be doing IT in uni anyways (its still kinda useless to IT haha). But you said it is not moderated and all, so does it get scaled up and down or not?

iRolex

HSC
BLIT2014, Yeah I know hehe. I'm not getting extremely concerned, gonna try to get my best marks in HSC anyways. Just wanted an idea on how it will affect it at this stage.

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)