Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 90+ Atar and low scaling subjects

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    1

    90+ Atar and low scaling subjects

    Im just gonna go straight to the point! Almost all of the subjects that im doing are considered “low-scaling”. Im just afraid that this might affect my ATAR significantly?! Is it still possible for me to get an ATAR of 90 or more? Thanks!

  2. #2
    New Member Bob Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: 90+ Atar and low scaling subjects

    nah youre fine

  3. #3
    Cadet Accurate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    HSC
    2021
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    joint
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: 90+ Atar and low scaling subjects

    Quote Originally Posted by idkwhatto View Post
    Im just gonna go straight to the point! Almost all of the subjects that im doing are considered “low-scaling”. Im just afraid that this might affect my ATAR significantly?! Is it still possible for me to get an ATAR of 90 or more? Thanks!
    Depends what 'subject's you're talking about, please list them. Usually in these situations you can easily get 90+ ATAR, just make sure to ace every exam, this ain't something like Physics where a 70% Raw is considered very good, you must be getting really good raw marks, because they are already 'low scaling'.

    An ATAR of something like 95+ is a different story, that too is possible, but then again please list your subjects and for that you literally must ACE your exams, you can't be bad at any of your subjects for this.

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: 90+ Atar and low scaling subjects

    Quote Originally Posted by Accurate View Post
    Depends what 'subject's you're talking about, please list them. Usually in these situations you can easily get 90+ ATAR, just make sure to ace every exam, this ain't something like Physics where a 70% Raw is considered very good, you must be getting really good raw marks, because they are already 'low scaling'.

    An ATAR of something like 95+ is a different story, that too is possible, but then again please list your subjects and for that you literally must ACE your exams, you can't be bad at any of your subjects for this.
    Hello! I do Maths Standard 2, EAL/D (previously known as ESL), Japanese Beginners, Music 1, CAFS and Biology.

  5. #5
    Cadet Accurate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    HSC
    2021
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    joint
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: 90+ Atar and low scaling subjects

    Okay, so for those subjects you must literally ace them, an ATAR of 90+ is possible, but you do need to get a few Band 6's for that 90 ATAR, like you must get it, otherwise the 90 won't happen. For the rest of the subjects you can get like High Band 5's, but never ever get a low B5, it will screw your chances. Don't lose hope; a 90 is definitely possible.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: 90+ Atar and low scaling subjects

    Quote Originally Posted by Accurate View Post
    Okay, so for those subjects you must literally ace them, an ATAR of 90+ is possible, but you do need to get a few Band 6's for that 90 ATAR, like you must get it, otherwise the 90 won't happen. For the rest of the subjects you can get like High Band 5's, but never ever get a low B5, it will screw your chances. Don't lose hope; a 90 is definitely possible.
    Thank u so much! I did pretty good in year 11 ranking wise with two firsts and two seconds but I’m just worried that things might change this year! I did my maths exam few days ago, missed two questions and had a huge breakdown. Lol. I guess that pulled my confidence down and im really worried that me, getting a band 6 in that subject alone is impossible ☹️ Thank u so much tho! Ure very helpful 😭 I’ll take all ur advices and try my best to get Band6s in most of my subjects! Thanks again!

  7. #7
    Cadet Accurate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    HSC
    2021
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    joint
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: 90+ Atar and low scaling subjects

    Quote Originally Posted by idkwhatto View Post
    Thank u so much! I did pretty good in year 11 ranking wise with two firsts and two seconds but I’m just worried that things might change this year! I did my maths exam few days ago, missed two questions and had a huge breakdown. Lol. I guess that pulled my confidence down and im really worried that me, getting a band 6 in that subject alone is impossible ☹️ Thank u so much tho! Ure very helpful 😭 I’ll take all ur advices and try my best to get Band6s in most of my subjects! Thanks again!

    Thanks, I'm happy I helped. Don't worry about that Maths exam though, it's only been like a bit of the year, you should be focused on RANKS, in the end your assessment mark is basically what rank you are in your cohort, they use that rank to determine your assessment mark, make sure to get good ranks for EVERY subject and know the content for each subject in and out so you can smash the Externals. I wish you good luck for the HSC year).

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    HSC
    2020
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: 90+ Atar and low scaling subjects

    Hey! I'm kinda worried about this too since I pretty much dropped my high scaling subjects fro low scaling ones. Right now I do Adv English, Adv Math, VA, Business, SAC and SDD. I had the chance to do Ext English but dropped, just dropped Ext math last week and dropped economics for VA. Not sure how wise my choices are!

  9. #9
    Cadet Accurate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    HSC
    2021
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    joint
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: 90+ Atar and low scaling subjects

    Quote Originally Posted by GucciChips View Post
    Hey! I'm kinda worried about this too since I pretty much dropped my high scaling subjects fro low scaling ones. Right now I do Adv English, Adv Math, VA, Business, SAC and SDD. I had the chance to do Ext English but dropped, just dropped Ext math last week and dropped economics for VA. Not sure how wise my choices are!
    Hey, don't worry about that, you chose quite a mix of subjects to be honest. Advanced Maths and English, Business are decently well scaling, it's not like everything you chose is low scaling; so a 90 ATAR is definitely possible, but just make sure to get really good in those subjects like VA & SAC, like aim for a Band 6 for those subjects and you shall have nothing to worry about.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •