Ne1 get a uai below 80 (1 Viewer)

astro boy

HSC
im doing something at UWS and probably if i do well enough ill transfer uni's if i dont like where im at

GJ_JOE

blood brother
B Arts @USYD or UNSW.....(i qualified to receive extra points via the EAS)

pri

HSC
N/A
ever considered somethin like ANU? their course UAI's are lower and the uni is the top in australia...

stickyicky

Originally posted by natstar
Is this thread designed to simgle us, non-geniuses?

Anyway, i got 75.75, and i dont give a dam cuz i got mpst of my courses in the 80's, i just happen to do easy subjects like textiles and standard english that dont get scaled highly. Thats why im so agianst the UAI.
Anyway, to answer your question, im going to do Marketing/Arts at UWS. I dont give a shit about UNSW etc, becuz they have no courses im really intereste din, and UWS does.
nah i'm just sick of hearing about people in this site that are getting over 90's and how they're so dissapointed that they only got 99.5 instead of 99.9 or 100. i only got 78

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by stickyicky

nah i'm just sick of hearing about people in this site that are getting over 90's and how they're so dissapointed that they only got 99.5 instead of 99.9 or 100. i only got 78
then you'll prolly have a harder time at uni. From what I hear, there's more people like that in the real world.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
in theory 80% of the state should have got a uai below 80 ... its just that this forum seems to contain many people in the top 20% ... oh well ...

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by natstar
Yeh im sick of ppl being hell upset that they only got 99.00, istead of 99.95. Its like, have a cry, why dont you!
I only got 75.75, and im stoked, i expected to get higher, but why winge about it, you cant change it, and it doesent even matter once you get into uni.
I think it's great that you're happy, and congratulations for making it into the course you wanted. But I also think that it's not right to condemn those who scored high and were disappointed. Everyone has their own personal standards. you can't judge others by your own standards, so someone who didn't get 99.95, if that's what they were realistically working for, have every right to be disappointed.

xanadu2428

HSC
N/A
Well i got 78 and im still thrilled, i cant afford to move out of town yet so i'll be doing at least the first year through correspondence - Armidale's UNE - communications course, its soooo good cause in the city communications is 97.95 and through une it's only 70 so i got in early cause of my uai, im just so excited to be doing the course i love!

Peace! :cool:

xanadu2428

HSC
N/A
Yeh, have u thought of doing correspondence for a yr then transfering, its a pretty good option if you cant do ur course elsewhere. It's unfair on country students, we have no work here as u know.

xanadu2428

HSC
N/A
In natstar's defence i got 77, would have been happy with 75. 72. 70 anything above 65, under that yeh i would have been upset but no i would not have whined firstly because it is "just" the hsc, in 10 yrs time we will not see it as the most important thing in our lives and if we do we will be living sad lives and secondly- we are alive, we acheived all of out high school yrs, that is enough to be proud and to be grateful for. We have the beautiful privilage of being educated, in most countries women don't even get that right, our gifts are very special. Yes we have standards but they must be put into perspective.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
a friend of mine got 76.55, and he was ecstatic. his words:

"i can't believe it! i'm actually going to uni! with other nerds who will get all my jokes!"

(btw, he's planning on doing electrical engineering @ newcastle. with his extra 4 points, he just scrapes in.)

so really, like everyone else has been saying, it's all personal standards. someone might be amazed with 73 whilst someone else may be suicidal over a mark of 99.45 (oh, and if you are, don't be. :)).

Twintip

That doesn't make any sense at all... The UAI arranges people based on their results, as some people do easier subjects than others, the UAI would be a fairer result than the raw marks... :rolleyes:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
natstar's point referred to the (possibly only) advantage of this new standards-based system. Even though marks can't be compared between subjects, the performance bands and your mark tell you exactly what you personally have achieved within each course.

The UAI only gives you a measure of your overall HSC performance relative to the rest of the state.

Twintip

Point taken, but I think Natstar is getting a bit paranoid. For "every person who has an advantage over you", the average person will have just as many people who they have an "advantage" over (however you define that). They seem to be extremely worried about the 'hard time' they have had compared to other people.

If you gave someone a test with questions like:
1 + 1 = ???

... then a lot of people would do very well. So how are just looking at the results truly reflective of your achievements? How is this fair, especially in subjects like maths and english where there are different choices of difficulty? I could sit on my arse for the next year and do pretty well in General maths, where as if I did the same thing in 4u I would crash and burn. Scaling wouldn't save me. My level of achievement would be different, despite the fact that I had put in the same amount of effort. I would be in a different performance band. What you achieve is all relevant to what other people achieve. I know this shouldn't be relevant with the outcomes-based system, but it still is because some subjects have a lot less content than others. Not everyone always chooses the subjects towards the higher end of their ability, and not everyone always puts in 100% effort. Plus, exams from year-to-year can be easier than previous years, even with the same syllabus. How do you gauge this? I know people don't see raw marks, but this could affect the scaling of the subject and the potential candidature of the subject in the following year.

People should stop finding excuses and accept their UAI. It is fair. There is no conspiracy theory. Taking a non-desirable result out on the system doesn't work.

Last edited:

Twintip

Alright, steady on! :p I must apologise for not being clear before. I didn't even think about you personally when I wrote that final comment. It wasn't directed at you, I didn't even know what you got! A person can be pissed off with their UAI if it doesn't get them into the course they want at Uni. If I chose to do a Met course at 70 something, I wouldn't have a problem with getting 80. But if I was going for Comm/Law at 99.3 or whatever it will be next year and got 99.25, I'd be serously pissed off. :) By the way, both of those directions are possible for me at the moment. Obviously I want to aim high to have as many options as possible. You are lucky in that you know what you want to do. :) Good luck with it! :)

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Wow, can you just feel the love in this thread now...:D

hear, hear....

Spike

well i got 73.50

I did absolutely nothing..... lol all year... going to my school where the highest mark was 83... (I got the 3rd highest UAI)

Man i really enjoyed this year and got the most out of it socially.. work-wise and Athletically.. yet I sacrificed school work...

I did not do any homework... and studied for my HSC exams in the final week... and inbetween exams..

Although i had an unrealistic aim of 80.. (due to the fact i got 80's all year in my exams easily)

when I got 73.50 I knew I didn't deserve that mark.. and well I was satisfied.. I know people who worked 10 times harder then me and got less...

Next year ill be going to UWS... hoping a change of scenery will give me better study habits.. as I hope to forfill a life long dream of being a lawyer...

Story of my life lol... :eek: sorry for boring you all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)