Comm/Law UNSW (1 Viewer)

SkAnDi

HSC
So who's coming with me (hopefully if the cut-off doesn't go up!) to comm/law at UNSW?

Actually, i'm still a bit indecisive of what i want to do, 99.35 too low for Sydney, just enough for UNSW. Decisions, decisions. *sigh*

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Why are you deciding your degree and the university you attend based on past cut-offs?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by SkAnDi
So who's coming with me (hopefully if the cut-off doesn't go up!) to comm/law at UNSW?
I'll "probably" be there with u for a few common subjects in Commerce (hopefully doing Commerce/Arts @ UNSW)

B

Bambul

Just remember the cut-off may not be 99.3/99.4 for USyd and UNSW again this year. The year before it was 99.00 (or 99.10, can't remember) for UNSW and some friends of mine who got about 99.2 thought they would have made it in but didn't.

So remember that either of the two cut-offs could move up *or* down. Potentially, UNSW's cut-off could be higher than USyd's, so you could make it into USyd but not UNSW!

And MinAi: why "probably" and "hopefully"? Still considering going to Macquarie? Or worried that the cut-off for Com/Arts @UNSW will creep up to 95.30? :rolleyes:

timmii

sporadic attendee
maybe (see prev posts for indecisiveness).

Either way i have a few friends doing comm/law at unsw for sure. They're pretty nice ppl, so if you get in there'll be some potential friends there for you...

Good luck with the cut offs! And put usyd down as well, just in case. Rather make uac do the work and choose for you, rather than automatically precluding youself.

kini mini

HSC
I'll be there - 99.85 so it's a choice between there and Sydney :).
Come on timmii, we'll see you there :D

yer

Is anyone going to do their commerce major in actuarial at unsw

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by yer
Is anyone going to do their commerce major in actuarial at unsw
Possibly...don't know yet. I will definitely take the language co-major option in commerce though.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Bambul
And MinAi: why "probably" and "hopefully"? Still considering going to Macquarie? Or worried that the cut-off for Com/Arts @UNSW will creep up to 95.30? :rolleyes:
I'm purely just worried about the cutoff!
I'm all set for UNSW provided it doesnt go over 95.25 :p

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
timmii... you KNOW the Harry Potter USyd castle wins hands down over anything UNSW have. :gridnod:

UNSW actually created an 'unbreakable' clock (which looks like a stargate heh) and then their engineers broke it. lol.

timmii

sporadic attendee
Harry Potter? Harry Potter! You've won me over.... :D

Lazarus, I know this has probably been an answered a thousand and one times, but what are you actually doing? uni, course etc?

B

Bambul

Originally posted by Lazarus
timmii... you KNOW the Harry Potter USyd castle wins hands down over anything UNSW have. :gridnod:

UNSW actually created an 'unbreakable' clock (which looks like a stargate heh) and then their engineers broke it. lol.
Yeah, the StarGate! It lasted a couple of weeks, calling it "indestructible" was just asking for it really.

There was this myth that anyone who walked backwards and then jumped through it would be magically transported to the Commerce Courtyard. One guy told me that he did it once, tripped and fell on the stargate. The security guards then came along, picked him up, and took him over to where they were staying: the Commerce Courtyard.

Also, since the hour and minute hand look the same noone knows if it was broken at 4:50AM or 11:20PM.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
lol! :)

I'm currently at USyd doing B Science (Advanced), with a UAC application in to transfer to 1. BSc/LLB or 2. B Psych (again, at USyd).

I was told I'd have "a very good chance" of getting into sci/law if I attained a distinction average - my GPA for the year was 5.9, just under. UAI was 97.35.

I live on the northern beaches, and so it takes me a reasonable amount of time to bus it in to uni as it is (up to 1.5 hours, depending on the time), which can be a real drag during the semester; definitely don't want to extend that journey by going to UNSW.

Whilst the UNSW campus is much more modern than the traditional USyd style, it's also much smaller, and I'm sure I would feel 'cramped' there. That's more of a personal thing though, doesn't really help you decide; sorry. :)

SkAnDi

HSC
Ohhh well maybe not past cut-offs then.

Eh if i can make it into USYD that's alright, i get a scholarship there :)

I wonder if my mark is good enough to get into any of the combined law degrees?

But eh, i'll be saying hi to BOS people whoever does the same subjects with me :D

timmii

sporadic attendee
Congrats for the scholarship skandi! :D

Tho, how can you have one while also being uncertain about whether you'll be able to get into your course or not? Hope you do get in tho of course!!!

SkAnDi

HSC
Originally posted by timmii
Congrats for the scholarship skandi! :D

Tho, how can you have one while also being uncertain about whether you'll be able to get into your course or not? Hope you do get in tho of course!!!
Ahhh it's just one of those general scholarships that you get in whatever course you do... i just have to go to the uni that's all :)

Come on UNSW, where are the incentives you're offering me!

On, a more fantasy note. LOTR II > LOTR I > Harry Potter I > Harry Potter II.

*yawn*

Going to bed now.

B

Bambul

Originally posted by Lazarus
lol! :)

I'm currently at USyd doing B Science (Advanced), with a UAC application in to transfer to 1. BSc/LLB or 2. B Psych (again, at USyd).

I was told I'd have "a very good chance" of getting into sci/law if I attained a distinction average - my GPA for the year was 5.9, just under. UAI was 97.35.

<snip>
You mean a distinction average can get you into law?!

My average is just under 80% (and my UAI was 97.45), maybe I should have applied, then if I got offered the transfer I would have said "Take it back, I don't want to do law!"

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Apparently, yeah... average going by GPA, not WAM, btw... but you probably got it anyway; my WAM was 79.3.

I wonder if anybody has ever told them 'no'. :)

B

Bambul

79.3? I got 79.875 :cool:

Beat ya, beat ya! j/k

But seriously, what is GPA? Is it a USyd thing (I go to UNSW, as you have probably worked out from my info on the left) or is there a special way to get it?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
GPA = grade point average

It's a UAC thing. Give yourself 7 per HD, 6 per D, 5 per C, 4 per P/CP and 0 per F. Average them over all of your units of study.

Very dodgey system; a student with 65 65 65 75 (C C C D) is ranked higher than one with 74 74 74 74 (C C C C).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)