hey just looking at everyones marks here...makes me jjealous

i got 95.55

but congratulations to everyone

i heard that everyone here goes to james ruse
is it true and whu does?

spice girl

magic mirror
i 'went' to ruse

a lot of other ruse ppl have been around, but i dun think they're bothering anymore. well i dunno how many are still reading the posts, but i'm quite sure noone has been posting.

afnya

Originally posted by Asquithian
If everyone here went to james ruse...!!!!

that would be interesting...

I go Went to Asquith Boys'

my UAI of 97 would make me like 100th in the year for ruse...how scary
and ur uai of 97 would make u first at my school, by about 8 uai's

schwang_thang

yeah, seeing every1 body's UAI's makes u think that every1 here goes 2 ruse aye? its bad 4 ur self esteem hehe

im from holy spirit college lakemba btw

spice girl

magic mirror
i dun think we'll ever know that

cos they don't publish lowest UAI

and our skool won't do that even if they knew what it was...

Twintip

I probably should have added "or what is the lowest that any Ruse pupil has heard of?". What about you Spice Girl? What's the lowest you've heard? Congrats on your mark by the way, it was insane!!! :D

timmii

sporadic attendee
I would also be interested to know the stats for ruse, even though i know its an impossibilty. For any selective school actually. I know they say Ruse's average or majority make over 99, and its only really hitting me *now* how huge that is because my school tends to get all wrapped up in the over 90's rather than over 99's (i think they're disappointed tho that only 3 got above the latter) I'm still stumbling over all the damn decimal points in the uais ppl tell me.

E.g 99.95 vs 99.5 vs 95.9 vs 90.5

Oh well...brain on vacation. Due to return march 5.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
My school is selective, but like, crap
Manly High School...it was the best school on the northern beaches region (according to the Daily Telegraph's list yesterday), yet it was caned by all the private schools in the Northern Suburbs region.

I think we got 5 ppl over 99 this yr
over 90, close to half our grade (50-60 out of 120)
so that probably places me about the top 25 at my school (I got 95.25)

I heard from my economics teacher that he was at some conference with the head teacher - social science at ruse, and couple of yrs back, the head teacher said "yeah, we had one student completley bomb out, he got 88" :rolleyes:

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by MinAi
My school is selective, but like, crap
Manly High School...it was the best school on the northern beaches region (according to the Daily Telegraph's list yesterday), yet it was caned by all the private schools in the Northern Suburbs region.

I think we got 5 ppl over 99 this yr
over 90, close to half our grade (50-60 out of 120)
so that probably places me about the top 25 at my school (I got 95.25)

I heard from my economics teacher that he was at some conference with the head teacher - social science at ruse, and couple of yrs back, the head teacher said "yeah, we had one student completley bomb out, he got 88" :rolleyes:
Firstly, well done Minai, and don't put too much stock in the lists of the schools!

Secondly, you gotta feel for that poor guy who got 88 - the shame of it all! :p

I suppose someone has to come last in the class, no matter what school you're from...I've heard of ppl who get into the selective schools in yr7 and then do nothing from henceforth. I'm just wondering how they went etc. I mean they may have spent their entire high school career being class dunce and then end up with a good uai like 85. Good career prospects, poor self esteem!

That actually happened to us. Our school wanted to push more ppl to general maths, so they marked *really* hard in yr 11, giving everyone poor self esteem and making them question their abilites, then we all end up gettin band 5/6 for 2u and band 6 for 3u....good marks, low self confidence. Short run Philips curve i suppose ;)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
two-third get over 90 in my school (selective) ... but anything above 99 is like whoa ... whoa ... whoa ... its still special to get 99+ ... but thats because people bludge alot at my school which collectively drags us all down a knot against the real selective schools (those in the top five) ...

pri

HSC
N/A
not all the top 5 are selective

Most of my school (selective) gets over 90 I think( cept silly ppl that drag our averages down :( )

at least I reckon come 2003 roughly 2/3 will get over 90 for sure, 1/3 of those will get over 95 .

being in selective is seriously bad for ur self esteem I reckon, at least for me, as I never actually got that whole "wow Im in a selective, that means I must be smart' I doubt n e one does as there are always ppl that will work that little bit harder and totally whip you come exam time.

also anything below 95 (at least in my circle of friends) isnt considered such a great mark in my school coz most aim for the 99's , hell id be lucky to get over 95 the way Im heading now.

oh well thats life :)

schwang_thang

Originally posted by natstar
i would like to know........

WHAT DA FUK IS SOOOO GOOD ABOUT JAMES RUSE????????????

its full of smart kids!!!

did ne1 read the SMH a couple of wks ago (i think)?
a whole bunch of yr 6's who had made it in2 Ruse were asked abt a whole lot of qstns concerning current affairs n global issues, & the results were quite poor

spice girl

magic mirror
pffftr...how many year 6's know about world issues?
do they spend their lives watching BTN or something?

and yeh, median UAI last year was 99.00, so for some of us, as Bambul mentioned in another thread, we only refer to our UAI by the last two digits, e.g. "point seven five", cos the first two digits are assumed 99.

And as for teachers, some are crap, some are alrite, and some are really good. But the ppl stuck with the crap teachers usually try to scab stuff off the ppl with the better teachers, so it's not that bad.

someone said that the new yr7's are full of FOB's, like they can't speak english properly, cos FOB's don't need to do the english selective test. So that's a bad sign.

The lowest UAI i've heard so far is 88 pointsomething. I haven't been asking around much tho.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by spice girl
pffftr...how many year 6's know about world issues?
do they spend their lives watching BTN or something?

and yeh, median UAI last year was 99.00, so for some of us, as Bambul mentioned in another thread, we only refer to our UAI by the last two digits, e.g. "point seven five", cos the first two digits are assumed 99.

And as for teachers, some are crap, some are alrite, and some are really good. But the ppl stuck with the crap teachers usually try to scab stuff off the ppl with the better teachers, so it's not that bad.

someone said that the new yr7's are full of FOB's, like they can't speak english properly, cos FOB's don't need to do the english selective test. So that's a bad sign.

The lowest UAI i've heard so far is 88 pointsomething. I haven't been asking around much tho.
FOBs? We do the assumed 99 thing a bit at Grammar too, but as it's only the first 30 odd who get 99+ it does tend to piss people off :d. They've been giving us crap for years anyway hehe.

B

Bambul

Originally (40 years ago when the school began - before that it was still a school, but it was Carlingford High School or something and wasn't agricultural) the school was an agricultural school for those who wanted to do agriculture, ie. it had a farm. It's like technology, sport or arts schools.

For some reason the agricultural schools (Ruse, Hurlstone, Farrar, plus any others I may have forgotten) got to do the selective school tests with the selective schools. So James Ruse isn't a selective school, technically speaking. At the time there were only 6 selective schools (Sydney and North Sydney Boys/Girls, plus 2 more, Fort Street was one I think) and they were all around the city, whereas Ruse was one of the few that wasn't. I don't know how exactly it became the best school academically, but that is why it is an agricultural school.

The lowest UAI I heard of (at Ruse) was around 60, but that's just one I heard about and I can't really confirm it with much certainty.

I think the person who got the lowest UAI from recent history at James Ruse is Jabba from channel V (if any of you get pay TV). I don't know what he got, but it was really low and he didn't go to uni, but ended up getting a job on channel V and is probably the second most famous ex-Ruse student (the most being Catrina Warren from Harry's Practise).

kini mini

HSC
Jabba went to JR? LOL I've always thought he was a retard! Is anyone proud of him?

Does JR still require you do do agriculture at some point? Grammar was founded back in the Greek & Latin heyday and everyone still has to do at least 1 year of Latin :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)