plz advice !! (1 Viewer)

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
hi ppl
i have just started yr 12 !
i have been studying in these hols for abt 7-8 hrs everyday but i m not confident at all n i m not satisfied with wat i m doing co'z at times i tend 2 waste time!:eek:
tell me how can i use my time effectively?
i wanna go in for medicine n i wanna get a uai of 100!:cool:
i need some suggestions! n help!!!!:(
i got da higher achievement award at my skool this year! i do da foll subjects
eng advanced
maths 3u
physics
chem
bio

pls helppp mee out!:confused:

pri

HSC
N/A
I hear you elizabethy I want 100 too!

cept me being a master of procrastination havent been doing my 8 hours/day.

I know I really should be reading all my english texts a million times so I know them back to front and perhaps even learn the chem sylabus, do 1000 maths papers, and finish my art and english major works oh and probly read every crime fiction novel ever written for 3u eng,

BUT

Im sure all the ppl who got 100 didnt do that. In fact Im willing to put money on that (and now that its after christmas i got plenty of that :) )

if they did I will eat my school tie

I reckon the ppl who got 100 were smarter than that and figured that they should do a little study a day and actually de-stress before school starts, and maybe even work during school (what an idea!)

good luck anywayz and enjoy your hols, remember this time next year you will probly be partying like there is no tomoro (or watching the 3rd LOTR, as if there was a difference!)

thats my 3 cents anywayz

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Doing 7-8 hours is probably a complete waste of your holidays...I don't know how well you can motivate yourself to do schoolwork, but for me-I could only study for hours on end when the pressure was really on. Your 1/2 yearlys won't be for many weeks, so at the moment, I doubt you'll be feeling too stressed about them. If you can handle doing 7-8 then good for you, I guess...but I really don't see the need yet, especially since if you're hearts not in it, about half of that time will be spent sitting at your desk starting out the window...

IMO-it's much better to do 2 hours of good, concentrated study a day than slugging through 7 or 8 hours. If you manage to get all your assessment tasks out of the way, and make sure you understand all you've learned so far, you'll already be miles ahead than the majority of year 12 people!:p

kini mini

HSC
You don't need 100 to get into medicine, it's not a bad thing to get though :D. I would suggest 3-6 hours a day to avoid burnout, as Asquithian says these hols are the best time to study without silly interruptions like assessments.

You would be better off looking at the actual requirements for UMAT if you want to do undergrad med. They only require a UAI of 95 or so, and many also make it through the written test, the inerview is what you should be most worried about I hear.

Christine

beige member
HSC
Best advice i have is RELAX!!!!

When you study, study seriously don't procrastinate and muck around, LISTEN in class, USE your study periods.
If you need help with something ASK, if you still don't get it ASK AGAIN!

Take TIME OUT - otherwise you will go insane

Set a STUDY TIMETABLE and stick to it!!!

ciao

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Also, if you're aiming for 100 when you really don't need to...can I just say that that is a complete waste of time. Our UAIs came out like 10 days ago, and already no one could give two shits about what anyone else got. The point of a UAI is to get into your course of choice...nothing more, nothing less.
If you want to get into medicine you obviously need to be aiming very high, but aiming for a perfect 100 may lead to disappointment.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I don't think its right to say don't aim for your best because you don't need it. If you think there is a way of you achieving 100 why not go for it?

"aim for the moon because even if you miss you'll land among the stars"

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
if you can spend 7-8 hours, youre well on your way ...

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
if you like studying 7-8 hours a day then it's up to you, but if you feel like u are wasting ur time then drop ur books and get out. . . it's holidays. . .i would recommend an hour a two during holidays and then around 1-6 hours when school resumes...

timmii

sporadic attendee
First problem elizabeth is that ur measuring ur studying in time i.e 7-8hrs. I remember my friends doing that this time last year. "I rewrote my notes 10times" or "i did 5hrs today" etc...doesn't help. Relax!!! Its how effectively u remember everything. Find something you enjoy in each subject you take - something to look forward to, makes it easer to learn and understand.

Also - its not healthy to aim for 100. If you don't get it you'll be soooo disappointed, and if you do get it, it may mean less to you becoz you've been "expecting" it all year. 100 is based on comparison with others - its never healthy to compare yourself with others (altho of course its unavoidable)...look for specific goals in subjects etc, that will cumulate to a good uai.

Take lots and lots of breaks, the year is long - u will burn out otherwise, it is physically and emotionally draining. One guy in my year was doing brilliantly in yr 11, working really hard etc. This year i dunno what happened, he just couldn't handle it and is doing it all again next year. Personally, all i did during this time last year was read/view some of my texts and start thinking bout my major work...if you must work do it 1-2 days per week and spend the rest of the time forgetting ur an hsc student.

Anyways, i wish you the best of luck! :D

cynic

Originally posted by YEAR11
"aim for the moon because even if you miss you'll land among the stars" [/B]
no u won't... you'll be sucked into a black hole... :rolleyes:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
there is a big difference between 'aiming' for 100 and 'expecting' it. In my view no one should 'expect' 100 because thats simply unattainable for 99.9% of us and is just asking for disappointment, but I do think everyone should be aiming for their best, and if their best could possibly get them 100, then why not 'aim' for 100? The higher you aim, the better of you'll be. You probably won't hit that target but you'll end up better off than if you aimed to get only what you needed for uni.

timmii

sporadic attendee
You're right...there is a difference. However a year is a long time. After a while of aiming, you get used to the idea of having it. But aim for as high as you can - i dont think i could really respect anyone who didn't...

SkAnDi

HSC
I did that aiming just to get into the course that i wanted... now i might not get into it.

Perhaps i should have set my sights a little higer, so that i could get in hehe.

"Aim for the moon, if you fail, at least you'll land in the stars"

kate

wow.
i didnt realise we were even sposed to know what studying was back then.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by YEAR11
I don't think its right to say don't aim for your best because you don't need it. If you think there is a way of you achieving 100 why not go for it?

"aim for the moon because even if you miss you'll land among the stars"
Because whats the point? UAI=University Admission Index...thats it. You need it to get into UNI, and anything else about it is irrelevent. If you get a UAI high enough to get into medicine, then that's a huge achievement, and that's what it's all about. Studying til you drop and driving yourself crazy just so you can say "I got 100" seems like a waste of what should be a really great year. Theres a lot more to year 12 than just the HSC.

I also heard this story, about my friends cousin. He did his HSC a few years ago. He was really bright and was always at the top of his class, and everyone kept telling him how they were expecting him to do really well, and he felt really pressured to get a high UAI to live up to those expectations, and studied heaps all year. Then finally, the HSC rolled around and he got into his first exam and just couldn't handle it...a year of pressure from everywhere just caught up with him and he couldn't take it, and barely wrote a word on his exam. He had a breakdown, and didn't even finish all of the exams. He found a job somewhere, and says he never wants to go to UNI. All those hours of study a day and really high goals certainly got him nowhere...and I'm sure this story isn't that uncommon. The suicide rates of people sitting the HSC are pretty scary.

pri

HSC
N/A
I reckon aiming for 100 is better than not aiming for anything as at least then you have a goal im your mind and u will work towards it, however burning out and excess pressure is not what you want, find an un-related activity such as a sport/instrument that will help you get ur mind off studies that way you get the best of both worlds you can have fun and attain ur goals.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings

I also heard this story, about my friends cousin. He did his HSC a few years ago. He was really bright and was always at the top of his class, and everyone kept telling him how they were expecting him to do really well, and he felt really pressured to get a high UAI to live up to those expectations, and studied heaps all year. Then finally, the HSC rolled around and he got into his first exam and just couldn't handle it...a year of pressure from everywhere just caught up with him and he couldn't take it, and barely wrote a word on his exam. He had a breakdown, and didn't even finish all of the exams. He found a job somewhere, and says he never wants to go to UNI. All those hours of study a day and really high goals certainly got him nowhere...and I'm sure this story isn't that uncommon. The suicide rates of people sitting the HSC are pretty scary.
I was pressured from all sides when I did the HSC this year, as somehow everyone thought I would be getting 100 (which I knew was never going to be the case). There was pressure from my friends and other yr 12 students, even from the school. I just didn't take any notice of it and ignored it for the whole year and still did well. I guess some ppl can cope with pressure and high expectations than others, everyone has different threshold levels of stress.

Obviously the person you are talking about couldn't handle the pressure and stress because he/she couldn't keep their mind on their work and were instead worried about living up to other ppl's expectations instead of their own. That is the biggest mistake on can make.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
The best you can do is YOUR best. I don't think 'everyone is capable of 100 if they want it'. Its one of life's little realities that no matter how good you are there is always going to be someone better (save the people who did get 100). Its not a negative comment, its the truth. If you know within yourself that you have done your best, there can be no better feeling. Nothing feels worse than regret, "if only I had studied more, paid more attention, not gone out, bla bla bla' , but if you got a mark of 50 in all of your subjects and knew that was the best you could do, than I don't possibly see how you can be upset. You may want to improve, yes, but you can't say "if only I had done better" because your best is the best you can ever do.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
hsc is a process ... if you tried your best then good on ya ... if you didnt (like i did), you learn from it ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)