vet courses (1 Viewer)

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
im freaking out!!

i do a vet course and i cant drop it coz i have 11 units

so does anyone know that its possible for me to get above 95+ uai? [ other subjects = english standard, economics, physics and 3unit maths]

:(

jawrsh

HSC
yeh u can get ova 95, but u need to do heaps well in english, i mean like top of band 4, band 5......top 5% in standard outta the state

coz i did english std, and it dragged my uai so far down to 78 and i did physics and 4 unit maths.....u have to do well in english to get ova 95

del

HSC
N/A
and you'll need a band 5 in VET as well... well at least around top 5%

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
i can get a band 5 i fink?

i think it vet is the only subject im topping .. my school like some top school in the IT stuff .. i just dunno how much it affects you UAI?
did anyone did a vet course n got over 90 Uai? and they happen to do 11 or 10 units?

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah my cousin was 2002 class and he did IT in the HSC... he got a UAI of 85.6 or something like that, and he told me he lost 5-6 marks because he did IT - he was in band 5 i think.

he told me to not do IT HSC, so i'm not doing the exam.. still doing it tho ...

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
As the others said, it's definitely possible, but it will only be probable if you are placed in the top few percent of the state for IT, and perform particularly well in English. Judging by the scaling statistics from 2001 and 2002, one unit of your IT won't be included in your UAI.

You'll obviously have to do very well in your other courses as well (but you should know that already).

del

HSC
N/A
I did IT for the HSC in 2002 and got a UAI of 96.55
Did 12 units, and both units of IT (HSC mark 88) counted towards my UAI, whilst 2U Maths (HSC mark 85) didn't.

As Laz said, you'll need to be placed in the very top percentiles... for IT to be worthwhile UAI wise, if possible aim for at least the top 1% in the state.

If its the same this yr as the past 2, a very high band 5 will see you set.

but yes, you have to do good in your other subjects too

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
del whats subjects did you do?

ahh my dream of pharmacy dies =(

del

HSC
N/A
did the following:

information processes and technology
software design and development
information technology VET
earth and environmental science
2U Maths
Advanced English

Originally posted by jawrsh
yeh u can get ova 95, but u need to do heaps well in english, i mean like top of band 4, band 5......top 5% in standard outta the state

coz i did english std, and it dragged my uai so far down to 78 and i did physics and 4 unit maths.....u have to do well in english to get ova 95
i don't get that.Why does english standard scale people so low when english advanced and english std is scaled as one common group.And 40% of the syllabus is common too.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It doesn't 'scale so low'. To end up with a high scaled mark, you need to do well to begin with - and most standard students don't.

Originally posted by Lazarus
It doesn't 'scale so low'. To end up with a high scaled mark, you need to do well to begin with - and most standard students don't.
fair enough, but how can anyone get a high scaled mark when no one seems to get into band 6?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Almighty Jafar
fair enough, but how can anyone get a high scaled mark when no one seems to get into band 6?
Scaling is performed on raw marks, not the aligned marks, and so the proportion of students in each band makes no difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)