how many hrs?? (1 Viewer)

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
hey ppl

how many hrs a day shud we study when in yr 12 ?? i mean how many hrs shud i study everyday now, to get a uai above 97??

byee

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I don't think there is a magic number, just study so that you feel you KNOW the content.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Originally posted by McLake
I don't think there is a magic number, just study so that you feel you KNOW the content.

some ppl suggest dat we shud study for 6 hrs everyday , my chem teacher says we shud do 3hrs everysubject everyday!!!!
i think this ain't possible!!!! wat abt ya??

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by elizabethy

some ppl suggest dat we shud study for 6 hrs everyday , my chem teacher says we shud do 3hrs everysubject everyday!!!!
Ok, to be truthful, I was doing 3hrs/unit/week near exams. But that was probably excesive ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC

I studied 3 hrs a day during my HSC year.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Originally posted by Ultimate

I studied 3 hrs a day during my HSC year.
3hrs!!! was it enough??? then when did u do ur hw?
i mangae 2 do my hw in the free's at skool n then cum home and do around 5-6 hrs!

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC

i mangae 2 do my hw in the free's at skool n then cum home and do around 5-6 hrs!
I never got any homework at my school cause it was too pov, so I had to rely on doing my own work.

5-6 hrs? hmm I don't know how u can do it without burning out which is the last thing you want before the HSC. The most study I ever really did in a day was 5 hrs and that was one day during stuvac.

U should take it easy, 3 hours is enough, it all depends though on how quickly you can grasp and apply new information learnt. If 5-6 hrs is what u need to do and you feel happy about that, then do it. There's no set guideline really, because more study doesn't mean u wil get better marks, it's how effective your study is.

ellipsis

HSC

2 in school and then 5-6 at home !!!! That isn't human !
Seriously, you sound frazzled even in your posts, I do think that much will burn a person out - tho thats just my handy excuse so I don't do that much, maybe 1 or 2 a day ;)

And your chem teacher says 3 per subject per day (sorry but all these italics are warranted :( ). I'm doing 5 2u and 2 1u subjects, that would leave approx 3 hours for sleeping, without school !
Again, not human !!

Don't you ever get that thing where you know too much and you start to overanalyse even the simplest multiple choice question, read too much into it and get it wrong ?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
if you spend your time in class studying and listening to the teacher ... one or two hours a night is fine ... a bit more before assessment ... and consistently during stuvac say three hours a day, it should be enough ... it really depends on you, i guess ... everything is hazy!

hey ppl

how many hrs a day shud we study when in yr 12 ?? i mean how many hrs shud i study everyday now, to get a uai above 97??

byee
yeh, you can study heaps, but the academic ability really needs to be present as well. Others say the uai is an effort mark.

kini mini

HSC

I did adv Eng, 4U maths, physics, chem, French Continuers and Extension. If you count maths as one subject due to the large overlap, I'd have needed 18 hours a day!

Obviously that isn't possible. I don't think that more than 3-4 hours a day is sustainable for most people, I agree with Ultimate that 3 hours really should be enough to allow you to achieve your potential.

I think achieving a high UAI like 97+ is not so much dependent on how many hours you spend at the desk, but what you get done whilst you're there. I heard lots of stories in stuvac last year about people pulling 10 hour days and so on, when I was doing 6-8. I don't regret doing things my way. You need to find out what methods work for you and how long you can sit still for.

When you sit down to study, I think you should set yourself a goal like "I will master integration by parts" and check the time to see how fast your progress is. You will get a far better measure of what you have done than if you set out at first simply to spend time on something.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I suggest u calm down a bit, coz it sounds like ur stressed in ur posts - and yeah as others have said, everyone's study habits/methods are different, and ppl learn things at different paces, so its up to u to find out wat works best for u - if find ur understanding the work after an hour, then thats all u need for that night etc

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
We were told to study 2-3 hours a day all through theyear, but more when exams came up-I don't know ANYONE at my school who did that much!
I didn't study til the week before my trials and half yearlys, and until 3 weeks before the HSC. I barely ever did homework, and did all my assignments at the absolute last minute. My UAI in the end was 92-which means that even the small amount of work that I put in was must have been more than most others did!
Had I atually done the 2 hours a night-it probably would have been enough to get me a 96 or a 97. I think everyone assumes that everyone works their arses off all through year 12 and spend hours and hours studying-but I think only a very small amount do (which are the peopel with 99.**s!). I agree that there is no "magic number" of work to do-but in general, I think 3 hours a night on average is more than enough-including both homework and study.

Shocker_85

i have 2 do 5-6 hrs a day + free lessons in school...b'cuz my teachers dont even tell the rite thing...they r too crapy...so i have 2 do most of the things my self! so no point in listening 2 da teachers!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by flyin'
if you spend your time in class studying and listening to the teacher ... one or two hours a night is fine ... a bit more before assessment ... and consistently during stuvac say three hours a day, it should be enough ... it really depends on you, i guess ... everything is hazy!
:

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Originally posted by Shocker_85
i have 2 do 5-6 hrs a day + free lessons in school...b'cuz my teachers dont even tell the rite thing...they r too crapy...so i have 2 do most of the things my self! so no point in listening 2 da teachers!:rolleyes:

:
hey
my teachers r da same....so even i have 2 do 5-6 hrs a day + free lessons...

aznchickie

elizabethy just out of interest, do you go to a selective/private school? and by study you mean hours excluding h/w and going over class work right?

Originally posted by aznchickie
elizabethy just out of interest, do you go to a selective/private school? and by study you mean hours excluding h/w and going over class work right?
i used to go to a private school- st columba's in springwood.I guess i study about 5 hours on av. per wk

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by natstar

No offence but 5-6 hours a day + 2 hours at skool is utter bull shit. This will totally burn u out. What the hell u do in these 5-6 hours??? Copy out da text book????
I had plenty of things I could have done that would have taken that long. More maths practice, more English, practising my French....but as you said natstar I would have burned out very quickly.

asymptote

I study in free lessons and do 5-6 hrs at home....Yahoo UAI of ******???? here i come!!!

hey ppl

byee

Last edited:

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Originally posted by aznchickie

hey i go to a Public skool.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)