Y12 03 - Assessment Marks/HSC Marks (1 Viewer)

paul_y_d

I wanted to know what ppl are getting in assessment marks in terms of ranks

I go to Reddam
and i would also like guidance into what uai i should be looking at
I have done one asssessment already, and did reasonbly

Subjects

Modern History - Ass. Mark - 84, Rank 9/22
Business Studies - Ass. Mark - 57, Rank 17/29
Advanced English Ass. Mark - 78, Rank 20/51
Maths - Ass. Mark - 43, Rank 29/35
Economics - Ass.Mark - 75 - Rank 10/21

Business marks for me, will be a lot higher, they normally range into high 80s-low 90s
Maths marks for me, will be a lot higher, they normally range from mid 70s to high 80s

Could someone tell me what i might get

Thanks

And other year 12s write urs

My UAI Aim

ellipsis

HSC
Use Lazseeker, its on the front page www.boredofstudies.org
That tells you, tho take it with a pinch of salt. Still, its good.
Unless its down, I haven't checked, I've got the downloaded one.

As for me, I've had one assesment in all my subjects 'cept ext english. We don't get told our rank until reports, but I can pretty accurately guess.

Adv. Maths - 62% which is crap , because some ppl got full marks in this test, but I suck at maths (that was a 10% drop from before tho, that I wasn't expecting :( ). Ranked near bottom of about 100 I would think

Adv. English - 11.5/15, average was 11ish. Also crap becasue english is a good subject for me. But I'm blaming it on the listening, since I always suck at that. Average, therefore about 60/120

Ecos - 28/30. Actually good *breathes sigh of relief*. Everyone was cagey about this one, since it was a little hard. I think there was a 29, but otherwise I'm stoked, its high up anyway, prolly top 5 out of 30 ish.

Chem - repressed this. Did ok, but didn't beat the person I wanted to. Dunno, maybe ranked around 15/40, mark about 35/42 Can't really remember this, and don't really wanna :p
edit: changed this ^ a bit because a friend pointed out it looked like i scored 15/40 in the test. Not <i> that </i> bad, just competitive

Bio - 92% *yay*. Unexpected high. I know I'm first :D

Last edited:
N

ND

I go to a crappy school (ie. dux usually about 98-99), i've had only one assessment for most subjects.

Maths Ext2 (test) - 82% - Rank 1/1
Maths Ext1 (test) - 100% - Rank 1/5
Chemistry (test) - 32/32 (thanks to a past paper that i was studying, which turned out to be the present paper too :D) - Rank 1/7
Chemistry (research proj) - 12/12 - Rank 1/7
Phys (prac) - 14/18 - 1/7
Phys (test) - results pending, but i am confident
English avd. (speech/report) - 33/? - Rank 5/~50

Not too bad, although coming first is no great feat here, and i won't be relying on anyone to push my mark up (except maybe in english).

my school sucks, so laugh at the rankings a bit:

business Studies= 90 , rank 2/20

English= ass. 73 , rank 18/94

Senior Science 91, rank 1/18

Maths= 84 , rank 5/90

Agriculture = ass. 75 , rank 1 ( heaps weird)

Studies of Religion 2 = ass. 89 , rank 1

not too bad i think

muldersgun

HSC
my school doesn't even give us rankings and spreads for assessment tasks so we're pretty much in the dark. The english department won't even give us averages fer crissakes, cause it "Doesn't mean anything".

Blah!:p

Originally posted by muldersgun
my school doesn't even give us rankings and spreads for assessment tasks so we're pretty much in the dark. The english department won't even give us averages fer crissakes, cause it "Doesn't mean anything".

Blah!:p
did you go to st columba's cause they did that to us early in the year for my hsc?

ilex_aquifolium

HSC
muldersgun are you lin jie? if so, we do get ranks...they stick up sheets with the manks and what rank that works out as. i know biology has it up for the first assessment, i'm not sure about the others.

muldersgun

HSC
yes dude, blurt out my real name to the whole world why don't you. Yeah, i know the avatar kind of gives it away.

Anyway i certainly haven't noticed any ranks up, not for English, Maths, Eco and Chem anyway. But then again maybe i'm blind. Actually i got the spread for the 2U maths one today, but no ranks yet.

btw who are you?

Sorry Jafar, i actually go to NSG

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by ilex_aquifolium
they stick up sheets with the manks
manks.........mix between marks and ranks? hehe I luv typos

Last edited:

pocydto

lol, I suck but here's my marks:

Maths (2U): 79/100 & 81/100

English: 11.5/20

Physics: 19/25

Design and tech: 72/100

IPT: 75/100

I think I have a real issue when writing essays. :mad1:

ellebelle

We haven't done many assigments yet but here goes:

Legal- 24/25 1st

Adv. English- 19/20 1st

Ext English- 20/20 Tie 1st

Ancient history- 20/20 1st

Gen. maths- 29/30 4th

Art- n/a

Religion- n/a

The rankings are no great feat, i go to a cruddy school in the middle of nowhere. If i went to a proper school where there actually was a bit more competition, it'd probably be a different story. :)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
thats the thing you feel all good if you come first but then you realise that youd get ur ass kicked if you went to another school

muldersgun

HSC
or you can go to school deemed to be excellent, come last in everything, feel totally inadequate for the 6 years of your high school life and end up having a nervous breakdown or something.

It's kinda hopless feeling that you can never ever come first in anything your entire school life because all the top places are dominated by geniuses.

pri

HSC
N/A
I know EXACTLY what you mean, I go to a selective school and man is it demoralising. I get shit ranks and consequently feel stupid 99.95% of the time.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
No doubt its better to go to a less academically competitive school and get top ranks cos it gives you the confidence to keep going, you just get knocked down during HSC when scaling puts you in ur place.
Its no good feeling dumb at a smart school cos you lose confidence and are less inclined to try when you feel like a failure.

ellipsis

HSC
Oh, this is going to turn into a 'smart' vs 'dumb' school debate...
But anyway, here's my two cents:

When there are people ahead of you it motivates you more because you want to beat them, or at least equal them.
If you feel smart at a dumb school, there's nothing to motivate you to push yourself 'the extra mile'. (*sigh* I know, bad cliche, flashbacks to bad principal's speeches) You'd feel complacent and you would just do what you needed to come first, not what you could do if you really tried.

And while I kinda agree there can be a bit too much pressure (well, expectations really, more than actual pressure) at 'smart' schools, I also think its a more supportive environment (more cliches come to play :D) because people can help you (you can score lots of free tutoring from the top ppl :p ) and nobody hassles you for being smart, or for actually caring about the HSC.

Tho, I do agree with the depressing ranks part. And there are some people that do get to me, because geez I swear it isn't possible to be that smart.
But you can always console yourself that they will drag you up with them when the scaling happens.

So overall, I'm sure I'm much happier where I am. And I don't think you feel a failure if you're at the bottom, a little depressed maybe, because there are so many that are above you, but if you know that you'd be better ranked somewhere else, you get over it. In the end what matters is in which place you would perform better.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I can't say I agree with you ellipsis when you say that if ur at the top of a dumb school there is nothing to motivate you. Im at the top of a fairly average school and what motivates me is thinking about the other 65 000 kids in the state Im competing against, Im at the top of MY school, but I know that there are thousands out there that can beat me and thats what motivates me

ellebelle

In some so called "dumb" schools, or my school anyway, no one places any value on coming 1st. So really, it's not much of a confidence booster or feel-good achievement as you would think.

People don't take the HSC seriously, they don't even know their own rankings let alone care about yours. My marks get dragged down because of their lack of motivation. It's also annoying because you have no idea how well you're really going, you have nothing genuine to compare yourself to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)