Legal Studies Worry (1 Viewer)

RedStz

True Scorpian
I am a bit worried now, as i heard that Legal Studies dont get scaled up that much, is it true?
(well I can tell you, it's a hard subject, but yet a challenging and interesting one. Many people compare it with doing 3u english!)

my subjects are
English Adv
Legal Studies
Chemistry
Math 4u
...exactly 10units,
English is probably my worst subject, as my teacher went away for the whole first term >.< so we only get casual teachers,and i have no idea what's going on.
and my 2nd worst is probably chemistry, as i spend least time on preparing for it.(usually revision 1week before the exam)
Math4u is the subject that i spend a lot of time, and legal is my best, rank no1 and etc.

so will I be able to achieve a UAI of 99.5+?? as I want to study combined law degree in Syd Uni.

Also, any ideas on how to balance time between track loads of essay writing in legal with that of endless no of Q solving in math4unit????

Mossad

Yeah i do legalz as well...it is fully interesting a!!...but it doesn't get scaled up veryu much that's true (its about 25.4 or .7 when the average is 25).

But you do 4U maths man so you have nothing to worry aobut as long as you're getting decent marks in it

RedStz

True Scorpian
Depends on what you considered to be a decent mark for math4unit, I mean to achieve a mark like 99.5+, I suppose I need above 95 for my math 4unit, which i doubt that i am that smart :(

Mossad

You don't have to get over 95 in 4U as long as you get 90 and above for everything else. Then 90 or even 85 in 4U might be enough...gl anywayz

RedStz

True Scorpian
thanks, I feel a bit better now, I suppose I probably can get 90+ for math3u, legal, or maybe math4u

chem and english, probably in the 80s

Mossad

English is really important so you need above 90 for english no matter what other subjects you do...but yeah 3U and 4U do magic to your UAI

Mossad

even a single 80's score will make it impossible in getting over 99, i know i said otherwise before but i take that back.

But i didn't know that coming in the top 1% in a subject can't scale you down, but on the other hand if you achieve top !% it means that you will usually get a score very close to a 100, and then you can't get scaled down anywayz....especially in LS, which is a subject that is above average (over 25) so it scales up if you do good...(yay:D)

RedStz

True Scorpian
Originally posted by Asquithian
Why do u wanna do 4unit maths and chemistry if u wanna do law????

legal studies doesnt scale that badly...you just have to do well.

Also helps for the first legal stubjects...Foundations of LAW at unsw feels like yr 11 legal studies...just knowing the words and the history already really helps
Well I want to do economics, but it is on the same line as Legal, so i end up choosing legal instead of eco. I did Business in yr11, but that subject bores me to death and it scales you down, so I drop it. I choose chemistry because it appeals to me the most out of the science subjects, I know it's irrelevant to law, but there aren't any interesting humanity courses to choose from. As for the math4u, you are not the first person to ask me this question,but hey it boost your UAI, and I am more of a math subject person when it compares to English, I need something, you know some extension course to get me the UAI i need ;)

RedStz

True Scorpian
Originally posted by Asquithian
maybe stop looking for subjects that scale high ...and try to do REALLY well at subjects that fit what u would like to do at uni...

just a thought...

there is no reason why u cant get 99.blah to get into law doing all the humanities at school.
Well i suppose i am happy with the subjects that i've choose, and I think i am glad that i drop bussiness. Yes, i agreed that i shouldn't look at the subjects that scale high, that's why i choose legal, as in doing REALLY well in every subjects, i can't really achieve that for chemistry, simply because i never revise and only start summarising notes 1 week before the exam (can't help it, but most of my time devotes to math and legal)

Mossad

If you're good at maths than doing 4U helps you in anything you would wanna do in uni, whether its law, computers or whatever because it boosts your UAI...i'm bad at maths but im doing Hebrew and etxtentions of hebrew so it helps me.
And yeah lol business does scale you down, i'm doing business and unless i come top 3 or get over 95 im toast

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
pity u didnt choose eco over legal - it scales better and is a much easier subject

just to prove u dun need 4U maths to get a good uai - a person that got 100 UAI last yr didnt do maths at all - all humanities.

RedStz

True Scorpian
Originally posted by MinAi
pity u didnt choose eco over legal - it scales better and is a much easier subject

just to prove u dun need 4U maths to get a good uai - a person that got 100 UAI last yr didnt do maths at all - all humanities.
Well i suppose I never look at it that way, I mean at the time, I dont know about the scaling between legal and economics, and since i want to study law in uni, legal is the cloest thing. Well I am happy, infact i think i am glad I didn't choose eco, my friend is doing it, and she said it's sooooo boring, maybe it got something to do with the teacher. I love legal, and my legal teacher is the best ever, anyone who is not interestd in the subject will end up loving it after being taught by her :D

I think you got a pretty good UAI or didn't you? why only do eco?

Mossad

I'm so regreting choosing business studies, i shoulda done legal studies and economics, they both scale you up, and the competition in my school in both is easy.
Eco is 30.6...damn i didn't imagine it's so good for ya UAI...

RedStz

True Scorpian
for me business is easy, i dont do that well in chemistry, but it's interesting.
In the end, i drop business for chemistry, guess i've made the right choice.

bobo123

HSC
i think band 6 is more of a pyschological barrier than actual scoring terms

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by RedStz

Well i suppose I never look at it that way, I mean at the time, I dont know about the scaling between legal and economics, and since i want to study law in uni, legal is the cloest thing. Well I am happy, infact i think i am glad I didn't choose eco, my friend is doing it, and she said it's sooooo boring, maybe it got something to do with the teacher. I love legal, and my legal teacher is the best ever, anyone who is not interestd in the subject will end up loving it after being taught by her :D

I think you got a pretty good UAI or didn't you? why only do eco?
Yep, well thats wat they recommend anyway, pick the subjects u like and will do well in.

I'm doin economics cos I like it, and it was my best subject in high school...and I coulda done law at macquarie or sumthing, but i decided to follow my interests

Mossad

If ya get 100 UAI by doing all social science then you have to be seriously blessed upstairs because iy means you have to know how to write perfectly, do good essays, perfect short-answer questions techniques and obviously know your stuff all over back-to-front...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I cant find the HSC marks of the guy that got 100 (its somewhere on the forum)
but yeah, he got marks in the high 90's for everything except Ext.2 English, so u could say he was an essay writing freak

Mossad

yeah and doing Ext.1 & 2 on top of advance english doesn't hurt heh.

P.S. bobo you should took a long hard look at your marking critereas if you think that there isn't a tengible difference between the bands...

bobo123

HSC
im just saying that the difference between an 89 and 90 is the same between 90 and 91

but theres 1 whole band difference

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)