Disadvantaged Student Scheme??? (1 Viewer)

RedStz

True Scorpian
does anyone have personal experiences or know people that benefits from Disadvantaged Student Scheme? if yes, please share the stores.

All i heard is that if you are receiving Youth Allowance, or live near a busy street, or no room to study, or serious illness during the HSC year, you can apply for the scheme, and you can get up to as high as 5 extra points for UAI, correct me if i am wrong.:p

bobo123

HSC
so if i apply for youth allowance, and then i get into this scheme,
i would be getting money and marks at the same time?

RedStz

True Scorpian
Originally posted by bobo123
so if i apply for youth allowance, and then i get into this scheme,
i would be getting money and marks at the same time?
Well i suppose you need to be eligible to get youth allowance first, and having some tragedy that happened along the HSC year.

DAmn >.< I want to do law, so i suppose the point is useless

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
Hmmm....I'm in a similar position too, I've got obsessive compulsive disorder but i dunno how to get evidence cos i havent been diagnosed yet. I've been telling myself "who cares about the disadvantage s.scheme stuff...i'll try and pull through this disorder" but then i thought again, "why do i have to force myself to suffer something i dont need"........so yeah, ill prolly talk to my careers advisor.......I'm not extremely smart, compared to other schools and pple in my tutoring classes i am very very bad.....but i go to a hmmmmm "local public low school" and there pple believe that i am "smart".........thing is that i told a few friends about my illness and that i want to apply for that thing but ive been hearing a few ppl i kno saying "it's so unfair, shes soo smart and she wants to apply to it n e way....shes taking adavtage of the scheme"............I'm stuck atm......so should i or should i not?....i feel i have the right to try at first.........youth allowance?.......ive got youth allowance......u said 5 points? is that a lot?.......5 pionts as in marks? or ranks?......For eg...as in UAI 80 +5 ....
goodluck :)

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by RedStz

Well i suppose you need to be eligible to get youth allowance first, and having some tragedy that happened along the HSC year.

DAmn >.< I want to do law, so i suppose the point is useless
no the EAS point is not useless but what Bon said is not entirely true because that EAS does not work with the uni of newcastle medicine and law course but for usyd or unsw EAS works for every1 of there course except advanced science for usyd. This info is from the EAS booklet last yr.

RedStz

True Scorpian
Originally posted by da_best

no the EAS point is not useless but what Bon said is not entirely true because that EAS does not work with the uni of newcastle medicine and law course but for usyd or unsw EAS works for every1 of there course except advanced science for usyd. This info is from the EAS booklet last yr.
Thanks, although I might not get any extra mark out of the scheme, telling myself that there could be some possibilities boost my confidence :)

Elspeth

A few more important things to add:

• Get as much evidence for your disadvantage as possible, as early as possible

It adds conviction to your application. A few of my friends suffered from depression throughout yr 12, but weren't actually diagnosed until about 1-2 months before the end of term 3. Although their HSC was severely affected by their condition, they weren't eligible for Access. So make sure you find out if you are eligible early, and TELL YOUR TEACHERS. There is a section of the form where they have to say how long they have known about your disadvantage.

• Even if you're not sure about whether you have been disadvantaged, ask your Careers or Year Advisor for last year's booklet, so you can have a look at the different categories.

• It's not as simple as applying for Youth Allowance, then becoming eligible

You actually have to have been paid YA throughout years 11 AND 12, unless you had a good reason not to (eg you turned 16 halfway through yr 11), and you also have to have been paid the
maximum payment.

• 5 points are not "added" to your UAI

I think it may be more accuractely explained if I say that if you are eligible for the Access scheme, the cut-off for the course you wish to get into is lowered UP TO 5 POINTS for you. That is, if you get 93, and your course cut-off is 95, you will get in, but if your UAI is 89, and the cut-off is 95, you will not.

• Even if you are eligible for Access, and your UAI is within 5 marks of the cut-off, you may not get into the course

At most Unis the quota of students enrolling in a course via the Access scheme is only about 5%. Hence if more than (whatever the quota may be) have UAI's below the cut-off, all the Access applicants are ranked according to UAI, and the top (however many) with the highest UAI's are taken until the quota is filled.

Also, as mentioned previsouly, you can't get into all the courses through Access (eg Medicine, Advanced Science).

• You are not "ranked" for the purpose of determining how many points the cut-off should be lowered for you.

Once you are eligible for Access, you are eligible, no matter how serious or trivial your disadvantage was. (It's unfair, I know, but that's the way it is) The only time you are ranked is by one of your teachers/the Principal, who has to estimate how much they think the disadvantage has affected you. (That's why you should tell them if you feel something is hindering your ability to complete your HSC, or if there are any other problems you are experiencing).

I'm not sure about this, so check up on it, but I believe that the only time someone will assess the degree of your disadvantage, other than your teachers in the form I mentioned above, is the UAC when 2 people on the same mark are competing for the same place. In that case I think that the person with the more serious disadvantage, or perhaps the person who is more likely to succeed despite experiencing ongoing advatage, will get the place.

• Finally, don't forget that if you are eligible for Access, you are also eligible for Access scholarships.

Uni of Sydney and NSW have special Access scholarships (at Sydney a whopping 60 were offered this year!), so make sure you apply. You still need a very good UAI but applications are also considered based on what disadvantage you had, so if you had not so good marks and a serious disadvantage, you may also get one.

Anyway, that's all for me for today (phew!). I hope I helped, in some way (Last year when I had to do this I wish someone could have told me all this stuff!). Good luck with your HSC!

Elspeth :cool:

tt_j65

HSC
i reckon its bull how some people get it cause they wear glasses :rolleyes:

tt_j65

HSC
Originally posted by Generator
How did they manage that?
let me rephrase, they get to do the exam because they wear glasses while people who actually need it do not get to do the exam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)