Does our rank at school effect our UAI? (1 Viewer)

kini mini

HSC
Your overall rank at school does not directly affect your UAI.

Your rank in subjects at school affects your final HSC marks, from which your UAI is derived.

m3.4..012

hm...
Originally posted by kini mini
Your overall rank at school does not directly affect your UAI.

Your rank in subjects at school affects your final HSC marks, from which your UAI is derived.
ah.. alright...
will our rank help our UAI?

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by m3.4..012

ah.. alright...
will our rank help our UAI?
ah...i think he meant yes

from what i heard is that if you come first in the hsc exam in your school then your rank at school will not matter because your assessment mark will be set to your hsc mark, otherwise your rank will count to how much marks you share in your school's total mark.

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!

from what i heard is that if you come first in the hsc exam in your school then your rank at school will not matter because your assessment mark will be set to your hsc mark, otherwise your rank will count to how much marks you share in your school's total mark.
So it doesnt really matter how u go in school, but u have to do well in the hsc exam?

kini mini

HSC

Sorry, maybe I wasn't entirely clear. Your rank in a subject at school matters, because it will be used to give you an assessment mark based on your school's HSC exam results. This assessment mark and the HSC exam mark are used to calculate your HSC mark, which is then fed into the Board's Magic Scaling Machine with all your other HSC marks (HSC mark is distinct from HSC exam mark!) by UAC to produce a UAI.

I don't believe that, it would be contrary to the entire stated rationale of continuous assessment.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by enak

So it doesnt really matter how u go in school, but u have to do well in the hsc exam?
NO

Assessments at school do count, no matter how much you may wish that they didn't.

If you want to do well in the HSC, you have to do well in both the exam and in internal assessments.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
I don't believe that, it would be contrary to the entire stated rationale of continuous assessment.
huh??? i think you misunderstood what i said
NO

Assessments at school do count, no matter how much you may wish that they didn't.

If you want to do well in the HSC, you have to do well in both the exam and in internal assessments.
yea...assessments do count that is if you don't come first in the subject, and if you do come first in a subject your assessment mark will be made the same as your hsc mark (thats what i've been told).

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A

NO

Thanks for clearing that up, gotta start working :(

kini mini

HSC

huh??? i think you misunderstood what i said

yea...assessments do count that is if you don't come first in the subject, and if you do come first in a subject your assessment mark will be made the same as your hsc mark (thats what i've been told).
I understood all too well.

A quick reminder of how the whole marks business works...

1. In the course of the year, your school assesses you and ranks the candidature in every subject. The discussion here with Laz is worth referring to.

2. When all the people doing one subject at your school sit a paper, you can think of them as a team winning a pool of marks.

3. These marks are divided up based on assessment rankings to produce assessment marks.

Let's take what you said to its logical extreme. Say you are ranked last in maths, but you express your previously latent genius in the exam and come first. Given that the rationale of continuous assessment is to encourage people to work throughout the year, do you really think that the Board will forgive you, thereby penalising all those poor bastards who could actually be bothered working?

I'm sure that what you were told is wrong because it doesn't make any sense, even by the limited logical standards of the Board. Assessment marks reflect how you did in school relative to your peers. Exam marks are used to produce the actual numbers, but the Board has always said that they will almost never adjust assessment rankings supplied by schools.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Heh i dun even bother anymore
I jus wait for one of u guys to reply :p
hmm mayb i shouldnt flaunt my laziness like that..

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by MinAi
Heh i dun even bother anymore
I jus wait for one of u guys to reply :p
hmm mayb i shouldnt flaunt my laziness like that..
Hehe I did that for a week and a half, then felt guilty :p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
haha

I'll just use this excuse "I have mid-semester exams soon..!"

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
This will answer all ur queries:

I do subject 'X'

School assessment
ranking: 30th

HSC Test
my mark: 90
mark for the HSC test of the 30th ranked person in my school: 60

Therefore, my final HSC mark (not incl scaling): (90 + 60)/2
= 75

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by AK Gumbi
This will answer all ur queries:

I do subject 'X'

School assessment
ranking: 30th

HSC Test
my mark: 90
mark for the HSC test of the 30th ranked person in my school: 60

Therefore, my final HSC mark (not incl scaling): (90 + 60)/2
= 75
no it doesnt exactly work like that
the HSC mark of the 30th ranked HSC mark does not necesarily become the 30th ranked person's assessment mark

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs

I think you may have been talking to someone who did the old hsc when they told you that, because I remember my year 8 geography teacher (1999) preety much explaining the hsc marks like what you have said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)