Prediction (1 Viewer)

Jeo

Hi,

I do 4U Maths, 2U IPT, 2U SDD, Adv Eng

I go to a private school, but just say for example, I went to a crumby public school, that the highest, apart from my UAI was 70 something, then what sort of assessment, and HSC marks would I need to get a UAI of above:

: 90
: 95
: 99

Hope all u experienced guys can help me :D

I think I will be depressed soon :( after a few ppl reply

Ty
Jesh

Jeo

An example Answer:

for over 90:

you need assessment mark of 90%
and HSC mark of 90%

for over 95: yada yada yada.

I go to a private school but don't count on how good the school is, just assume I go to a public school.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Jesh
I go to a private school but don't count on how good the school is, just assume I go to a public school.
whats the point of that?
ur assessment marks will depend on how well your cohort does anyway

to get over 90, I'd say u need 80's for 4u and 3u, 70's for english, 80's for sdd and mayb 90's for IPT

for 99, probably at least 90 for both 3u and 4u, 90 for english, 92 for sdd and at least 95 for ipt

Jeo

ok, If my assessment mark is lower than my HSC mark, what happens to my assessment mark?

Im not entirely clear on how UAI is calculated. I've heard many stories.

Teachers say the assessment counts for 50% and HSC exam mark counts for 50%.

What truth is there in this and how is the UAI really calculated based on marks you get.

All I know UAI is like a rank.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
ok, If my assessment mark is lower than my HSC mark, what happens to my assessment mark?

Im not entirely clear on how UAI is calculated. I've heard many stories.

Teachers say the assessment counts for 50% and HSC exam mark counts for 50%.

What truth is there in this and how is the UAI really calculated based on marks you get.

All I know UAI is like a rank.
wat do u mean? if ur assessment mark is lower than ur HSC mark, that means u did better in the HSC exams, hence u got a higher exam mark - nothing happens to ur assessment mark

Assessment marks u get at school mean jackshit EXCEPT in determining ur rank - thats wats important, rank, not mark
ur MODERATED assessment mark is based on ur school's performance on that particular subject in the HSC exams...and the marks are distributed generally with the relative differences between students kept intact...its true wen they say assessment is 50% and HSC exam is 50%, but its not entirely that simple

before i go off and start writing an essay on this, goto the main page of this site and read Laz's document on Scaling/UAI and how it all works, if u still have queries, come back here

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC

What r u saying??? Public school's are shit???

Jeo

generally, non-private and non-selective schools, don't get many students in 90's UAI.. does that affect a students UAI? I dunno?

Natstar: Shut up please! If you don't want to help me, don't! I don't really give a shit about you!

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Ok well I go to a selective school so it doesnt really matter for me..

It just sounded like u were saying "Private school's are the bomb... Paying your way for a good UAI is the way to go"

m3.4..012

hm...
generally, non-private and non-selective schools, don't get many students in 90's UAI.. does that affect a students UAI? I dunno?

Natstar: Shut up please! If you don't want to help me, don't! I don't really give a shit about you!
not all non-private and non-selective schools are shit..
Burwood and Straithfield girls are good..
and not all private schools get people in the 90's..

Jeo

natstar.. I am asking if the school's performance, i.e average of everyones performance affects your UAI.

I am asking, if a person goes to james ruse, then is that person advantaged over another person? Assuming both persons got same marks and went to diff skools.. Does the school have any role in determining UAI?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
natstar.. I am asking if the school's performance, i.e average of everyones performance affects your UAI.

I am asking, if a person goes to james ruse, then is that person advantaged over another person? Assuming both persons got same marks and went to diff skools.. Does the school have any role in determining UAI?
For HSC mark? No advatage ...
If same HSC mark but different school mark? There is scaling involved, but not an advantage ...

Jeo

Ok, my friend already finished HSC with 98.98..

He says that the school gives a mark out of 40.. Whats that exactly? and does it apply to all schools?

The mark out of 40 is given for each student apparently...

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC

He says that the school gives a mark out of 40.. Whats that exactly? and does it apply to all schools?

UAI 98.98??? That is not possible!!!!

I don't know what this mark out of 40 is either ...

Jeo

or 98.95 probably..

um i dunno either about the mark out of 40, thats why I asked..

He says its not to do with your academic achievement, but like contribution to the school and stuff..

kini mini

HSC

Simplistic answer: yes. So work hard.

Complicated answer:

You need to understand the assessment process.

1. In the course of the year, your school assesses you and ranks the candidature in every subject. The discussion (http://x300-3-bne.servers.net.au/~a....php?s=&threadid=3701&perpage=40&pagenumber=2) with Laz is worth referring to.

2. When all the people doing one subject at your school sit a paper, you can think of them as a team winning a pool of marks.

3. These marks are divided up based on assessment rankings to produce assessment marks.

Your HSC mark is produced using your HSC exam mark and your assessment mark.

Steps 2 and 3 are where having a good "team", or a strong school, can help you out. But be careful not to say that having a better team is always an advantage. The only situation in which you benefit is if your mark in the HSC exam is below your moderated assessment mark, leading to a higher HSC mark in that subject and eventually a higher UAI. Clearly, the mark assigned to your rank will be better the better your school does.

-

There is no such UAI as 98.98 - the UAI is in increments of 0.05.

Going back to step 1 above, the school ranks people in each subject and also assigns some sort of mark to each student for statistical purposes such as calculatinng standard deviations. Looked at this way, it doesn't really matter what the raw number is - it's a question of proportionality.

kini mini

HSC

He says its not to do with your academic achievement, but like contribution to the school and stuff..
That's patently ridiculous. I think you've ben taken for a ride :p.

Jeo

wow thanks kini mini

hmm.. yeah ok, the only reason i believed him is coz he got 98.95, I betta do some research..

Thanks for clearing all that out

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
wow thanks kini mini

hmm.. yeah ok, the only reason i believed him is coz he got 98.95, I betta do some research..

Thanks for clearing all that out
proving again that attaining a high UAI does not correlate to high intelligence (not being offensive to kini, mcL and others, just this person in particular!)

in regards to the school thing, the school u go to has no relevance - its the performance of the students within that school that may help u in terms of your moderated assessment mark, and thats about it. The rest is up to u

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)