is my HSC all but over!? (1 Viewer)

big_will08

hmmm
so far i havent been performing like i should! i was aiming at a 90+ UAI before the year started and i was just wondering if i could still get it! well, these are the results ive got so far (not very impressive)

IPT:
first assessment - 92% 1st (weighted 20%)
2nd assessment - 20/30 not too good (weighted 20%)
half yearly - 70% 2nd? (weighted 10%)

Legal Studies:
first assessment - 80% 5th i think (weighted 20%)
half yearly - 52%!!! but i came 8th (legal avg 42%) (weighted 10%)

English Standard:
first assessment + half yearly : 18.5/25 (weighted 25%)

Economics:
firs assessment - 14/20 (weighted 20%)
half yearly - 61% (weighted 20%)
not sure about the rank...but for both im approx 20th in the class which consists of about 25 ppl

2u math:
first assessment - 85% (weighted 15%)
half yearly - 75% (weighted 25%)

3u math:
first assessment - 50%!!!! (weighted 15%)
half yearly - 65%!!! (weighted 25%)

overall ive performed really poorly compared to what i usually get!
a result of too much partying and being lazy i reckon!

i just wanna know if there is still ne hope of getting 90+ UAI?
:(

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
dont give up, just do your best, thats all you can do. your hsc exam results will pull them up if you do well enough. good luck!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
to give a more technical answer, ur ranks seem to be pretty good, except for economics. If u maintain those ranks, and perform well in the HSC, u'll get a surprisingly good UAI, irrespective of wat actual marks u got in ur assessments
example: me, failed all my phys assessments, got 51 in the trial, and got an HSC mark of 82 - why? because our canditure for physics at school did pretty well on the exam (I came close to the bottom in terms of rank, but I improved in the exam (84) and the rest of my cohort pulled me up by doing well (so I got 79 as a moderated assessment mark), therefore dont be too worried about ur actual marks, be worried about your rank at this stage.

big_will08

yeah i keep telling myself its not that bad

but my maths is just appalling i reckon
i used to be topping maths(like last year) and i was doing 4u for a period of time..but decided to drop it coz i couldnt be bothered to put in the work(my work ethic is all but gone now...). now im virtually laST in my 3u class(only beating the dumbarses)
just wanted to say that the maths was the most demoralising mark of all

economics was just as bad coz i i got beat by dumbarses again!

*sigh* i could sit here and complain but it wont do shit

i guess the overall result of my exams is the fact that i let ppl beat me when they shouldnt have...i really hope i can come back from this!

im aiming at a 90 coz ill be getting EAS. Not sure what i want to do next year but i reckon a 90+ is the goal to open enough options for me

thanks for the feedback guys! Greatly appreciated!

bobo123

HSC
Originally posted by big_will08

economics was just as bad coz i i got beat by dumbarses again!

i think thats the wrong attitude to adopt, theres only a small gap between confidence and arrogance
maybe you got a little to complacent about these "dumbarses" :cool:

big_will08

hmmm ok let me rephrase

i beat them thoroughly in year 11 and they are beating me in year 12(not by much but its the rank!)

sure hope i still dont sound arrogant! ;)

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
looking at this thread...
u say u don't get 90+ UAi and u saying ur HSC is all but over??

pri

HSC
N/A

i guess the overall result of my exams is the fact that i let ppl beat me when they shouldnt have...i
uh this does sound pretty arrogant mister, try not to get too cocky about the HSC, yr 11 is gone and now a LOT of ppl will start working, just because u beat them before doesnt mean they are dumb, perhaps they started to work and that was the result, I dont believe its correct to say that oh I LET them beat me, you dont LET ppl beat you, if they work harder they WILL beat you. The HSC is not a test of intelligence but a test of hard work.

Al you want is ppl to pat you on the back and say hey ur smart mate, keep working at it, its not too late, and its obvious that yes you do posess some intelligence, Im not trying to knock you over, all Im trying to say is never get complacent and overconfident, as there are always ppl that will be working just as hard as you are in yr 12, remember that.

-signing off as one of the "dumbarses" ppl like you speak of.

Last edited:

big_will08

hmmm

when i say LET i really meant that im LETTING the opportunity pass because i know i can perform a lot better! i know deep down inside that im underperforming and in my mind i believe i SHOULD be beating others!

i agree it is a fine line between confidence and arrogance...but i reckon you cant live life without a swagger ;)

yeah the name of this thread is slightly exaggerated...but i AM aiming at 90+! i see it as my goal and i guess if i dont reach it its a failure. i mean im not paying out the people who get 90<!! dont get me wrong! im just saying that 90 is my personal goal and nething lower is a personal failure!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC

(my work ethic is all but gone now...).

omg you sound exactly the same as me. Im using these holidays to try and change that, but why do they have to put the HSC in the year when everyone is turning 18 and getting their p's etc!!!!

bobo123

HSC

i agree it is a fine line between confidence and arrogance...but i reckon you cant live life without a swagger ;)

yeah the name of this thread is slightly exaggerated...but i AM aiming at 90+!

if you want some decent bragging rights at the end of the year
aim like at 99 :p

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by bobo123

omg I'd lov those bragging rights. Unfortunately it aint gunna happen!!!

N

ND

Hehehe, wouldn't you just love the number plate: UAI-100 :D :p

Twintip

That's what I'm doing, but I'm getting slack. Meh, the bragging rights are only good for a month anyway then no one cares.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Twintip
That's what I'm doing, but I'm getting slack. Meh, the bragging rights are only good for a month anyway then no one cares.
Your parents' bragging rights potentially last a lifetime though :p

"Oh yes, MY boy got 99 in his HSC...so, how's yours going at TAFE?" :p

Bragging rights aren't much good for motivation IMO, I just wanted to get into my course with room to spare :D.

Twintip

Yeah, I've got this thing where pref. 1 will be 99.6, pref 2 (which will lead to pref 1 in a year hopefully) at 97. Even though 99.6 is highly unlikely (even if I'm optimistic), a low 99 would still be cool just for my own personal satisfaction.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Hmm...even though I totally understand that people want to aim for a v.high UAI like 99.something just for personal satisfaction-At the same time, I think that it is exactly that mentality that leads to there being so much stress/disappointments with the HSC. People seem to see it as an indication of intelligence/self worth, but really...who gives a fuck?
UAI=University Admissions Index. THATS ALL! It is in no way an indication of how smart you are, and does not have to have any bearing on your life in any way, aside from determining what course you get into at UNI-and thats only if you decide to go to UNI at all! Your UAI feels like it's the biggest thing in the world when your going through the HSC, but after you're finished, you realise how very little it matters. I got 92, and the cutoff for my course was 88.35...I would feel just as content with my mark had I have gotton an 88.4 as I do right now. In fact-I would feel just as content with an 88.4 that I would had I gotton a 99.4-cos I would be in EXACTLY the same position.
Theres no shame in getting a UAI under 90. Theres no shame in deciding to go to Tafe, or to just go straight into the workforce. And seriously-when one of your friend tells you that they got a UAI of 70 or whatever-do you think less of them, or even think twice about it? No? Then why would anyone think twice about you?

Obviously if your have your heart set on a certain UNI course with a high cutoff then you have no choice but to put a lot of time, effort and worry into the HSC-and of course, even if you need a lower UAI you still need to work cos you never know what you will get, and you never know when the fuckers are gonna raise the cutoff mark. I guess what I'm trying to say is to keep things in perspective, and don't think of a UAI as anything that it isn't. If you do...you will probably nd up very disappointed when you come out with a fantastic UAI-then realise that after a month or so, no one could care less anymore.

The Oracle

Your UAI reflects how hard you worked in Year 12.

Whether you get 100 or 70, a student should do their best! If they do get a 100, trust me, its a lot different to even getting 92, or even 99 for that matter.

There is no shame in getting UAI < 90? Well, yes and no. Depends what society you live in, and what school you go to.

All of my friends that have finished HSC have got > 95, and I am sure that I am expected also to get > 95 from friends, family etc.

There is no shame in going to Tafe, or even being a cleaner for that matter. As long as you legit, and you work hard. Well, yes, and no. Again, depends on the society you live in. Depends on the friends and family you have.

If your family farms for a living, I doubt they will give two shits whether you go to UNI or tafe. They would expect you to take over the family tradition of farming.

Yes SOME people will think less of you if you get a crap UAI. Some people are like that, some people are not.

If you feel content with a UAI that is 0.5 above the cut off, then you have no clue what competition is about. In my school, the competition is high, and a few marks here and there can move you up to the top, or middle or bottom of the grade.

It is certainly an indication of smart you are. What, are you saying your smart as the person who got 100? I think, no chance, and if you got 92.. no matter how many life times you had, you wouldn't be able to get 100. And you can't prove me wrong there.

Also, how society speak of you, will depend on your success and failures in your life. Like it or not, thats just the way it is.

Im aiming for > 99, but the course I want is only 95. So, does that mean I wasted my time? No! And getting 99 is totally different from getting 95.05 no matter what. Your smarter, work harder, and your parents get bragging rights.

End of story.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
OK, well that is all fair enough (a little pointed, but yes, I see your point.)
Well, I guess you shouldn't base your life around what other people think. If the course you want to do has a cutoff of 70, and you work really hard and get a perfect 100-you will feel absolutely fantastic when you receive your mark-I'm not denying that! But in the long run-will your life be any richer? Could you not feel good about yourself in other ways?
I think it's like everything else...are you gonna determine what music you listen to, what clothes you wear, and everything else, based on what society thinks? Based on what your parents or your friends are gonna say about it?

The Oracle

Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings
I think it's like everything else...are you gonna determine what music you listen to, what clothes you wear, and everything else, based on what society thinks? Based on what your parents or your friends are gonna say about it?
Omg, of course!.. Its called conformity, and you do it to fit in. Actually, everyone does it.

And doing all that based on what society thinks is called fashion.

Hope you understand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)