General maths = CRAP UAI (1 Viewer)

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
well if u do real gud in general say u get in da nineties then it won't affect ur uai co'z i know someone who did general and got a uai of 98:D

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
Originally posted by elizabethy
well if u do real gud in general say u get in da nineties then it won't affect ur uai co'z i know someone who did general and got a uai of 98:D
was general counted in that person's uai?

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
If you are struggling with 2 unit, you will probably get a better UAI by doing well in general, than doing poorly in 2 unit. If you manage to do well in general, then the bad scaling shouldn't affect much at all...

OzE Hindu

oh ok thx... yeah, coz i was least bothered about scaling when choosing my subjects. but i did 2u instead of general becoz i know i have the ability to do 2u, its just that i dont try.

the only subject where scaling influenced my subject choice was maths, coz ive heard that even if u get a really good mark in general maths, it is scaled down shitloads...

anywayz, i am planning to do an IT/commerce degree that requires a UAI in the low 80s... i could probably afford to general and get scaled down a lot. but should i maintain prestige and do 2u when i know i have the ability to?

OzE Hindu

also, a lot of ppl in my class got crap marks in their exam like i did and are pretty much in the same boat. i still did marginally better than a lot of ppl and ranked around 10th out of the 20 ppl in my class. they got marks below 50%, whereas i still passed. so should i still consider taking general?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by OzE Hindu
anywayz, i am planning to do an IT/commerce degree that requires a UAI in the low 80s...
Are u sure?

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
also, a lot of ppl in my class got crap marks in their exam like i did and are pretty much in the same boat. i still did marginally better than a lot of ppl and ranked around 10th out of the 20 ppl in my class. they got marks below 50%, whereas i still passed. so should i still consider taking general?
Well, I don't know how hard your exams are set, so I can't really compare you to me, but I was in a similar situation...I know about half the grade failed our year 11 2 unit half yearly. Our teachers advised everyone who failed to go to general instead, and that if you didn't fail but did poorly and think you will have trouble keeping up, to think about moving down too. I passed by like 6 or 8 marks if I remembe correctly, but decided to move down, cos I knew it was only gonna get harder and I didn't want to struggle...and in the end I was VERY happy with my decision. My friend got like 92% in that same exam back in year 11, and by the end of year 12 she had a tutor cos she was struggling to keep up, so I hate to think how much work I would have had to be doing if I tried to stick with it! I ended up getting a band 6 in general maths with very little trouble, so it all worked out for me in the end. So by what you've said-my advice is to drop down. But if you need to do 2 unit for a UNI course or anything, then you may have to just stick it out...

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
he's prolly finking of going to mq

r u in purdy's class?

Personally, if i wasn't gonna do 2u maths, then why bother doing maths at all.

Assuming that exams at normo havent changed much in difficulty, if you want sumfin about 90 in hsc in 2u, u should be getting 90s in 2u exams. But if ur getting marks near 50, it's not looking good. You should have a chat with ur maths teacher, see what he/she recommends. And on the career side, ask Packam at wat uai u should be lookn at and wat subjects may help.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
personally, i think if you've got this far with 2u i'd stick with it - say you got like 75 or something, i think you'll still prob. get scaled better for it than if u got like 90 in general...
if you really cant do it, then drop - but if you're getting around average marks, then i'd stick with it

OzE Hindu

oh ok kool thx... who r u by the way?

anywayz, got 2 more questions...

r the exams at normo harder than at other skools? considering its selective n all?

also, if i decided to stick with 2 unit for another term and see how i do, will it be difficult to catch up all the work from general if i do decide to drop? coz i'd already be halfway thru the yr.

OzE Hindu

Originally posted by MinAi

Are u sure?
actually, no. i'm just guessing. i havent even chosen wat degree im aiming to do at uni but i know im gunna do IT/commerce stuff. so u have any idea wat sort of UAI i need?

bobo123

HSC
you can find it online or in the big uac book they give out later this year

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad

actually, no. i'm just guessing. i havent even chosen wat degree im aiming to do at uni but i know im gunna do IT/commerce stuff. so u have any idea wat sort of UAI i need?
Well for commerce...
UNSW 95.5
USYD 94.15 (?)
Macq - 89.xx

IT...
USYD 97.xx
UTS 85'ish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)