scaling? (1 Viewer)

kaspa

hey i was just wondering, how do the following subjects scale, and can anyone help me predict a UAI i mite be able to reach, i know it will depend on how well i go,but i just wanted a rough idea.

adv english
ancient history
legal
business
pd/h/pe

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
just to add to that
based on 2001 and 2002 (the most relevant past results)...
Advanced English tends to scale really well
Ancient history is average
and Legal, Business and PDHPE are poorly scaled

to get 'good' scaling in those poorly scaling subjects, as Bon said, u'd need to be near the top in those subjects...whereas to get equivalent scaling in say, English, u could prolly be in the top 30% and still get good scaling
etc im tired..

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
how does physics and chemistry fair in scaling in past years ? seeing as those are some of the most popular subjects

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by Ragerunner
how does physics and chemistry fair in scaling in past years ? seeing as those are some of the most popular subjects
popular = biology, IPT, business
smart = chemistry, physics, economics
(excluding math and english and extensions)

the average scaled mark for chemistry in 2001 and 2002 are 31.4/50 and 31.8/50 respectively.
for physics its 30.6/50 for both 2001 and 2002.

if you get in top 1% for either of the subjects you'll get around 93 scaled marks in the last 2 years which is extremely high compared to subjects like standard english where you only get 75 scaled marks for top 1%.

if you want to achieve 100 uai, for 2001 you only have to obtained around 93 scaled marks for 10units or more, but 2002 you have to get an average of 97 per subject. and if you can obtain 75 or more scaled marks for 10 units you should get 90+ uai and if you want to get 99 uai you should aim for 85 or more scaled marks for every subject. :)
Originally posted by kaspa
hey i was just wondering, how do the following subjects scale, and can anyone help me predict a UAI i mite be able to reach, i know it will depend on how well i go,but i just wanted a rough idea.

adv english
ancient history
legal
business
pd/h/pe
if you can get in the top 10% of each of your subjects, then you should get around 95-99 uai. it all depends on where you place in your subjects. :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
well i am hoping for a 85-90 UAI

and my primary focus is on physics/chem/english

my maths and sdd isn't too well. but my 3u maths won't count if i do that so thats a big reliever.

how reasonably well would i have to do in those 3 subjects and considering i do moderate in my maths and sdd to get 85 uai ?

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by Ragerunner
how reasonably well would i have to do in those 3 subjects and considering i do moderate in my maths and sdd to get 85 uai ?
how well do you think you gonna do in those 3 subjects?

if you can get in the top 25% of the state in adv english, chemistry, physics, and be in the top 50% in math and sdd you should get pretty close to your 85 uai. but i think if you try hard, top 10% or even top 1% in those 3 subjects should be more than achievable.

Mossad

to get 'good' scaling in those poorly scaling subjects, as Bon said, u'd need to be near the top in those subjects...whereas to get equivalent scaling in say, English, u could prolly be in the top 30% and still get good scaling

MinAi is that top 30% of your school or your state?

And btw from the 2002 UAI data i picked up from this site a while ago Legal Studies isn't that poor infact its better than SDD for example. Business sucks tho.
Maybe i'm wrong tho.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by Mossad
MinAi is that top 30% of your school or your state?

And btw from the 2002 UAI data i picked up from this site a while ago Legal Studies isn't that poor infact its better than SDD for example. Business sucks tho.
Maybe i'm wrong tho.
those 3 subjects are pretty much the same in terms of average scaled marks. what is your criteria for saying if subjects are good or not good Mossad?

i think MinAi meant top 30% in the state, because scaling is based on the overall performence of the state across all subjects.

Mossad

My definition of good is as higher than the average 25 as possible...legal isn't that good, its about 26.something but at least its not as bad as friggin business which is 24.something.

So wait, in business for example i have to come top 30% in the state to get what if i get 95 and come 3rd in my school, which is an average or less school performance wise.

30% of the state refers to the amount of people right?, so what if 10% of the people got 100, 10% got 99 and 15& got 98, and i got 98, am i in the top 30%?...

abdooooo!!!

Banned
So wait, in business for example i have to come top 30% in the state to get what if i get 95 and come 3rd in my school, which is an average or less school performance wise.
i don't quite get what you saying...

30% of the state refers to the amount of people right?, so what if 10% of the people got 100, 10% got 99 and 15& got 98, and i got 98, am i in the top 30%?...
yea... you'll be in the on the edge of top 20%, but i don't think 10% of people is gonna get 100 though, most of the time no one gets 100 in a subject in terms of hsc mark.

Mossad

o.k. the average of all scaling is 25, as the highest and best subjects as as ancient latin and 4u maths are over 40, and poor subjects such as arabic and studies and religion are around 20 and less.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
the initial average of all subjects is 25/50 set by universities and is changed due to the performance of the candidature in the subject. the lowest scaled subject is "aboriginal studies" if you exclude the language subjects that no one does...

Mossad

yeah that's exactly what i was saying...
btw abdul can you tell me where you got that list from, they used to have it in this site but they took it off for some reason.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
If u wanna kno the percentage of ppl getting different bands for each subject, check the Board of Studies website
they show u like:
% In band 6: 6%
Band 5: 47%
Band 4: 35%
etc etc
from that, u can guesstimate your position in the state, and subsequent scaling in individual subjects (as a rough guide only)

Mossad

only 6% in band 6?...criquey im sweet if that's how it goes, but what subject are you talking about? and where in the BOS site can i find it, whats its called?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)