"Sorry, if you don't do at least adv.eng, you are bround to get a lower mark" (1 Viewer)

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Hello everyone :) Since the new HSC system has started, new syllabus and marking systems have emerged to adapt to the change. Obviously, the focus and emphasis on English by making it compulsory is very significant. Before then, I bet you have heard people who are doing reasonably in all these hard (logical reasoning I call them) subjects, for example, 4U maths, physics, chemistry... ect usually get the top marks?lol, from my subjective opinion it is kind of true. Now, after the system has changed, many people (including teachers) say we have a better chance of scoring a higher mark if we do at least adv. eng (in the english area), so is it ture?

My story :( (don't bother with it if you want no more reading):

I myself, as an innocent year 11, half way though term 1 last year picked up English - Advanced since I was so scared about the rumours... I successfully finished the priliminary course with an assessment mark which put me second in place last year but the english teacher and my adv.eng teacher discussed with me that it would be better for me to do Standard for the HSC due to my ocassional ESL mistakes (English is not my first language, came to Australia 3 years ago :)). And what? So I did! I'm doing Standard English now, I'm pretty confident that I'll get at least a band 5 mark at the end of this year - but I'm still worry 'cause I'm a paranoid...

Any thoughtful opinions, experience will be very welcome :) (it's really great if you have confidential details about this matter :p) okaies... thank you! thank you!

spice girl

magic mirror
My former english tutor reckons that the material in standard english and in advanced english is essentially the same thing, so it's actually unfair how the marks are skewed that way.

Mossad

Mitochondria as the ESL student that i am i was doing adv. eng in year 11 as well and i wasn't doing brightly (around 70%) and that was when i just arrived in Australia.
I'm doing ESL now, as adv. eng for the HSC is VERY VERY demanding and standard eng, as some people mentioned, does get dicriminated in the HSC, it's a known fact.
So, i would highly recommend for you to do ESL, judging from your story and your "essay" (;)) i think you'll have favourable chances of doing quite good, you'll have decent a chance of getting a band 6 and will UAI will not get scaled down if you come at a high rank. ESL is better for your UAI than standard. its an undisputed fact.

Raven

i like to ask questions
HSC
N/A
i love ESL,so far i am on 88% and very happy. Unlike with standard where your max mark is 75,in ESL it is possible to get band 5 and 6.

ESL Rulz

gronkboyslim

HSC
whats dones, done, get your head out of your standard english ass and go study and i assure youll get a better mark

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Yeah, a band 5 in Standard English is a very hard thing to get-let alone a band 6-which I agree is unfair, but unfortunately theres nothing us plebians can do about it. But if you were coming 2nd in Advanced English, it sound like a band 5 should be achievable for you.
Just don't let your standard of work become lower because the standard class will probably be less competitive than the advanced classes were.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Originally posted by gronkboyslim
whats dones, done, get your head out of your standard english ass and go study and i assure youll get a better mark
... Well, that was a bit mean :( ... there are times which you just can't help worrying about things. Besides, I do know it's "done" so I just want to find out more about it... You may get 90% for an exam if you studied everything, if you know how the system works and what the examiners want, you deserve the 10% that is left over. So yeah, there are many of us "Standard" people who are competent for the Advanced work - what we missed was this unfair system set up by the BOS or whichever that is. (lol, we are dumb? may be... but not as dumb as those Advanced people who can't even do Standard) ;) okaies, I'm over this now...

Thank you people! (especially to butterfly's encouraging words :)) lol... I have sent an e-mail to BOS regarding this Standard English issue but apparently they refused to reply 3 days... I shall wait for a few more days and I'll keep you guys posted if I get a reply :) take care and good luck with studying everyone!

ReaveR

HSC
You were second in rank and you dropped down the standard? Waah...or did you mean second last? Sounds a bit wierd for teachers to be asking you to drop if your second overall o_0

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Do you ever trust people?

Originally posted by ReaveR
You were second in rank and you dropped down the standard? Waah...or did you mean second last? Sounds a bit wierd for teachers to be asking you to drop if your second overall o_0
lol... no offence, if your purpose is to hang around and spot lies and idiots then this is not the place for you... Now, go and re-read my message where it clearly mentions "occasional ESL mistakes" - that's the reason of why they suggested me to do Standard. :) So take my advice, plan before you present your critique or it's going to cost you in the HSC or exams (if you have done it). Thanks anyway...

P.S. it would be really nice if you can spend this kind of time to help people rather than ridiculing them.

Last edited:

ReaveR

HSC
Re: Do you ever trust people?

Originally posted by mitochondria

lol... no offence, if your purpose is to hang around and spot lies and idiots then this is not the place for you... Now, go and re-read my message where it clearly mentions "occasional ESL mistakes" - that's the reason of why they suggested me to do Standard. :) So take my advice, plan before you present your critique or it's going to cost you in the HSC or exams (if you have done it). Thanks anyway...

P.S. it would be really nice if you can spend this kind of time to help people rather than ridiculing them.
When did I ridicule...o_0 I didn't mean to!
And no that's not my purpose to hang around and spot lies, it's just that I would love to be second rank in English Advanced. I know you said occassional ESL mistakes, but I hardly think that's a reason to drop to standard...otherwise I'd be in Standard too! Oh and about planning, I never plan what I say =p

Oh wait now I see...that second last comment. Haha sorry, didn't want to sound mean or anything it's just that we only get "advised" to drop to standard if we are down the bottom in ranks. Just wanted to makes sure I didn't miss anything because I read it again and it did make sense (your post, not the teacher thing) so I was just askin'....

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
trying to find a word... lol

lol... perhaps spice girl was right :p... oh well... there are a few of us Standard people who knew nothing about the crappie system when we decided to "drop" back... hehee... I knew nothing about it before it was too late... noooow i'm stuffed... ahh.. I musn't say that :) lucky med @ UNSW only require a UAI of at least 95 :) Which I'm pretty confident with... lol... well... sorry :( (may be the cancelation of the jazz thing this afternoon has partially contributed to my mood = upset :() hmmm... it would be even better if I can do both adv sci and med @ UNSW (dreaming) :eek: well.. adv sci is still my first piority, definitely will get the UAI for that :) ... hehe... enough talking for me... soooo sorry about that :p lol...

P.S. spice girl was right...

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
If you are confident with a band 5 result in Standard, that should be all you need.

Such a mark would have placed you in the top 1% of the state (or better) in both 2001 and 2002, and would have ensured that your final scaled mark was reasonable.

Once you're certain you can achieve this result, you should focus on maximising your scores in each of your other courses.

Mossad

its a fact that in 2 years no one has achieved band 6 in standard, and a 80+ mark, although may bring a good rank and consequently won't slay him with the UAI is still a band 5/80's mark, which is still a disaster for someone who wants to get a UAI of high 90's...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Mossad
a 80+ mark, although may bring a good rank and consequently won't slay him with the UAI is still a band 5/80's mark, which is still a disaster for someone who wants to get a UAI of high 90's...
Well, no. Students with band 5 marks in Standard ended up with scaled marks of 75+ in 2001 and 80+ in 2002 - and in terms of scaled marks, these are far from poor results.

For comparison, an aligned HSC mark of 80 in English (Standard) has in the past been equivalent to:

course - 2001, 2002

Economics - 89/100, 84/100
Modern History - 90/100, 85/100
Music Extension - 48/50, 41/50
Physics - 82/100, 83/100

Each of these results ended up with approximately the same scaled mark.

Coupled with high marks in other courses, a band 5 result in Standard is certainly not a 'disaster' for aspiring students. Lower than that might be, though.

sai

what are you talking about ESL
you shoulda totally ignored ur english teacher
judging from your posts
the english in them,
i couldnt een tell if they were esl or not
maybe u might have an accent, or something
and she just immediately assumed or something
but as a 3rd person judge
i couldnt tell a bit

shoulda just stuck with it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)