UAI- bad average so far! (1 Viewer)

hannie_star

I have gotten my midcourse assessment back and so far this year I have an average mark across the board of about 73%. I have completed 18.4% of my whole HSC thus far. I have to get 86 UAI and I want to know if it is still salvageable?
I do extension history, advanced english, economics, legal studies and biology. I am not briliant with eco and bio but I am improving. I also go to a school which scales up (nomatter what other say, they do it it happened to say many grads from my school last year) Can anybody shed some light on this for me.

Thankyou
Hannie

hannie_star

A school which marks harder than other schools and thus, the marks recieved as assessment in school are greatly improved upon when in competition with the rest of the state.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by hannie_star
A school which marks harder than other schools and thus, the marks recieved as assessment in school are greatly improved upon when in competition with the rest of the state.
I went to Grammar, the marking was pretty hard there. I think my trial marks were mostly in the high eighties, and I got 13u of band 6 in the end :)

It's hard for us to tell what your UAI is going to be even knowing that your school marks harshly. In the end, you have to judge where you stand in relation to the rest of the candidates in a subject to guess marks and then a UAI - I would be cautious in guessing even for someone who goes to my old school and I know their marking systems back to front. I think that you should look up your school's results and see how you would have gone had you been in the same position last year :). You can do this with UAISeeker.

BTW, what do you mean you've done 18.4% of your HSC? School assessments are far more complicated than "half of what you get int his test" :).

Mossad

Maybe he means that he finished 18.4% of his assessment mark as a mark, not quantity of material learned...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
thats a bit of an inaccurate statement
while it may be the case, it doesnt work exactly how u think it does. school assessment marks have nothing to do with ur final HSC marks, as Bon said, they use your ranks, not marks, in determining Moderated assessment marks based on the overall performance by ur skool in the HSC exams.

Even though ur school marks hard etc - if the ppl in ur school dont do that well in the exams, ur moderated assessment marks might even worse than ur raw school marks

hannie_star

I don't know my ranking yet. We do not find out all our ranks until we recieve our reports in late June. My school is top comprehensive the last three years or something, if that means anything. What I am asking is whether people think that if my ranks/marks arent all brilliant now, can I still salvage a decent UAI with marked improvements in said?

hannie_star

Oh. And the standard at my school is high. I have been sick and as a result my marks have dropped a bit and now I am improving with better health. Unfortunately the BOS etc do not cater for people with illness sufficiently.(In my persnal opinion)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
What I am asking is whether people think that if my ranks/marks arent all brilliant now, can I still salvage a decent UAI with marked improvements in said?
Yes. Even if you receive not-so-brilliant moderated assessment marks for all of your courses, they will always be averaged with your HSC examination marks, thus providing you with a final 'last chance'.

It takes effort, though.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know my ranking yet. We do not find out all our ranks until we recieve our reports in late June. My school is top comprehensive the last three years or something, if that means anything. What I am asking is whether people think that if my ranks/marks arent all brilliant now, can I still salvage a decent UAI with marked improvements in said?
I gather u go to Cheltenham Girls then..
the standard there is probably a bit better than my old school (it is selective), so I'd say being in the top 30% of all your subjects within your school would probably guarantee you a UAI of at least 90

hannie_star

Yeah. CGHS for me.
Thanks, that is very, very helpful:) I really appreciate it I was so bewildered, i has not concept of how HSC works!

hannie_star

I realised that didn't make any sense ( I am very, very tired) I had no concept of how it all worked! That's better!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
its cool

remember, if u have any queries about how the HSC and UAI work, leave them here, and one of us are bound to answer u (depends who's here first)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)