UAISeeker? Is it accurary? (1 Viewer)

blazezs

Honestly, is the data presented reliable?

Is there any errors betwen 4-5%?

I'm really curious to know ;)

If it isn't wrong, then i shall be able to get between 90 - 92 UAI :)

Of course i'm not replying on this :p

I just hope the prediction is accurary :D

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
if you can guess you percentiles very accurately which is almost impossible to do at this stage still considering there is the trials/HSC exams to go then UAISeeker is very accurate. But you can't really tell at this stage

kini mini

HSC
UAISeeker follows the usual rule of GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out. The better you estimate your rank in the state, the more accurate your results will be. Last year, I was 0.15 off with my worst-case scenario in Lazseeker and 0.05 off the day before results were released when some information about ranges in subjects was released.

BTW I did my worst-case scenario after the trials, so it is a bit early to be getting more than a very rough idea of what you need to get now :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
but when the time comes when you get the HSC results, the UAISeeker doesn't allow you to input marks, only percentiles.

so its not going to be as easy to predict with unless you use lazseeker

unless when they distribute the marks they tell you the percentile ?

blazezs

Originally posted by kini mini
UAISeeker follows the usual rule of GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out. The better you estimate your rank in the state, the more accurate your results will be. Last year, I was 0.15 off with my worst-case scenario in Lazseeker and 0.05 off the day before results were released when some information about ranges in subjects was released.
BTW I did my worst-case scenario after the trials, so it is a bit early to be getting more than a very rough idea of what you need to get now :)

Thats so true, i'll see what i can get in the trials :)

Originally posted by Ragerunner
but when the time comes when you get the HSC results, the UAISeeker doesn't allow you to input marks, only percentiles.

I can easily work out my percentage for the trial :p

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
i mean your percentile of you compared to the state.

e.g. top 25% etc..

blazezs

i mean your percentile of you compared to the state.

e.g. top 25% etc..

oooh, i see mate :)

I think the Board provides that right?

hmmm, or they don't tell you....:confused:

kini mini

HSC

You are assuming that mark distributions are constant from year to year. This is incorrect. I was happy with 93 in chemistry because that was a killer mark in 2001, then I saw that the percentage of people getting in band 6 had roughly doubled - so I was in a different percentile. You can try and work out your percentile from the mark because they release the percentages of people in each band and other useful data with the HSC marks. Gives you 2 days to worry :p.

blazezs

LOL :p

hehe, so UAISeek is not really that reliable afteral? :(

SIGHZ, i wasted $15 buck :eek:

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by blazezs
LOL :p

hehe, so UAISeek is not really that reliable afteral? :(

SIGHZ, i wasted $15 buck :eek:
It's a very good tool IMO, but you have to have a good idea of where you are in the state to get a good UAI prediction. It's no good trying to make a crystal ball out of concrete for example ;).

Use the reverse function and see what kinds of percentile range you have to be in to get your desired UAI.

blazezs

It's a very good tool IMO, but you have to have a good idea of where you are in the state to get a good UAI prediction. It's no good trying to make a crystal ball out of concrete for example ;).

Use the reverse function and see what kinds of percentile range you have to be in to get your desired UAI.
Yeah, a great tool.............its pretty hard to know your position in the state :p

But i got a serious question here..................

Why won't it let me get 100% rather then 99%?

blazezs

Something is not right here :eek:

I can't select 100% and it will only let me select 99% and thats the MAX i can select :mad:

And another question, wouldn't it be a BAND 6 if you got 99% for IPT??

kini mini

HSC
I suspect it's because UAC only reports data for the 99th percentile, see attached document :).

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
UAISeeker's accurary depends on the user and their input. And as already mentioned - the use of percentiles is probably the most accurate method. But even then, you need to use the right percentiles because it depends on what school ...

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Once I had my actual HSC marks, the prediction I got was very accurate, but I don't think I could have guessed my marks before the HSC...I think it is useful to play around with types of marks to see what you need for each subject to get fo certain UAIs, but I think for the majority of people, it wouldn't be too accurate in predicting this early on in the year...school marks can be worlds apart from HSC marks.
Although if you ask a teacher/careers advisor, they may be able to make a fairly accurate prediction of what your final marks in the HSC will be.

blazezs

I suspect it's because UAC only reports data for the 99th percentile, see attached document :).
Nah, how hard is Standard English scaled down :(

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by blazezs

Yeah, a great tool.............its pretty hard to know your position in the state :p
You will know your position in the state wen u get your HSC marks, because as said, they release the percentiles on the same day, so u can roughly work out your position in the state, eg if 8% of the state got band 6 in a canditure of 10000, and u got a mark of 90, then u'd be in the top 8% of that subject
similarly, if u got 95, u'd be in the top 4%

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by MinAi

You will know your position in the state wen u get your HSC marks, because as said, they release the percentiles on the same day, so u can roughly work out your position in the state, eg if 8% of the state got band 6 in a canditure of 10000, and u got a mark of 90, then u'd be in the top 8% of that subject
Yep

similarly, if u got 95, u'd be in the top 4%
What if people weren't evenly distributed? You know you're somewhere in that 8%, but where? It's a good guess, but not really certain.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
What if people weren't evenly distributed? You know you're somewhere in that 8%, but where? It's a good guess, but not really certain.
I guess u'd need to draw the line somwhere and be systematic
obviously within that 8%, marks will be all over the place, so jus take an easy generalisation I guess...is there any other more accurate way? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)