studying tips? (1 Viewer)

kaspa

hey guys i was just wonderin if anyone would be able to give me some tips on how to study, i know it is a broad question but im in need of some help.
thanks

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
and if its maths
practice practice practice

if ur reading thru textbooks, summarising the syllabus and u come across sumfin u don't understand. Don't juz skip it, ask your teacher and find out.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Sleep! And then study because studying half-asleep is almost as good as studying drunk! :D

blazezs

Originally posted by flyin'
Sleep! And then study because studying half-asleep is almost as good as studying drunk! :D
Thats so true, here is some general tips i highly recommend, all from experience;

1. Summarise whats in the syllabus for the subject!

2. Depending on what type of person you are, if you absorb the information by writing over & over, it is recommend you keep writing it out until you can remember every point. If not then read & read over it until its in your head :)

3. If you come across something you never heard of or seen it (believe me you will ;)) don't be afraid to ask the teacher the first thing you see them, because anything you don't understand now could have a high chance of it from appearing in the exam. (happened twice to me)

4. Remember to ask someone to test you from the notes you prepared. Let them randomly choose any question and let them question you, if you don't know it. Go back and revise another hour or so and ask that person to test you again.

5. Never stress yourself out, if you stress you will be too focus on the stress rather then studying ;)

6. Remember to take regularly breaks, say every 2 hours take 20 minutes break. Remember not to study pass 10PM at night, its scientifically proven that if you study over 10PM you will only absorb 35% of everything you learnt.

Well, thats all..........;)

Hope it helps :cool:

gnrlies

HSC
Ok, well im no expert on this, but this is what works for me...

First of all, depending on the subject you would study in a different manner based on the syllabus.

For science subjects, the syllabus points tend to lead to more information that is not directly listed down. In this case you should find these points out. (e.g. in physics a syllabus point is "give galileo's analysis of projectile motion" and for this you would need to find out that there are 4 key concepts that could be tested). For this type of syllabus perhaps more care needs to be taken in generating comprehensive study notes.

For subjects like business studies the course is based on mostly common sense. This means that less study should be used in learning concepts, but rather exactly what the syllabus is. It is mathing the name to the concept which is mostly used. For this extensive revision of the syllabus can be undertaken so as when the question asks something like "give 2 skills of management to implement this change" you will know exactly what a skill of management is as far as the syllabus is concerned.

Economics and those subjects with an essay tend to be harder to study for. Perhaps comprehensive notes are required to understand some of the harder concepts, but then there needs to be a more in depth knowledge of the concepts than say business studies. this is for the extended response q's where they basically test your ability to synthesize what you know. Statistics and case studies should also be well learnt.

English is a bit arie farie, so i guess you can get away with knowing your texts well and then knowing what angle it is they can ask you a question about, e.g. for transformations you need to know the key elements of transformations involved between the two texts. Then perhaps the rest is just knowing your text types (e.g. letter, article etc) and looking at contexts etc.

Maths -practice makes perfect (but dont go overboard)

IPT and other tech based subjects are more practical in that they involve you to use what you know to apply to certain situations. This means that as long as you know basic principles of the subject you can bullshit your way out of most of it. Perhaps a glossary of key words is most effective in these types of subjects

One final tip for all subjects, if you are studing for especially in school exams, always look at past HSC papers cos teachers are lazy and re-use them. It also helps to clear up things you might not understand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)