Effect of school towards your UAI (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
how large is the effect of different schools towards UAI ?

like say you get the same HSC mark as another person, but that other person goes to a selective school while the other a public school that doesn't go too well.

How large of a margin is it ? in terms of UAI points. 5 ? 10!! ?

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
they look at ur ranks in ur skool
if ur ranked near the top, then ur skool wont pull u down much. But if ur near the end, and ppl infront of u does bad, u'll feel the drag in regards to ur internal assessment mark.

Your result in your hsc exams is independent of ur school.

But generally saying, you're better off at a better school. Can't give u a number on uai difference coz they depends on your school's performance.

blazezs

Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-
they look at ur ranks in ur skool
if ur ranked near the top, then ur skool wont pull u down much. But if ur near the end, and ppl infront of u does bad, u'll feel the drag in regards to ur internal assessment mark.

Your result in your hsc exams is independent of ur school.

But generally saying, you're better off at a better school. Can't give u a number on uai difference coz they depends on your school's performance.
What about when you're top and does BETTER then everyone else?

Say you got 95% for one subject right, and the average in the school is 75%?

Would you get dragged down or would you be scaled up compare to everyone else?

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
like i said, if ur ranked near the top, then ur skool wont pull u down much.
so if ur number one, there's no one infront of you to pull you down. However it still depends a little on how hard your school exams are. Like if you always get 100% and the next best guy gets 98%. But in the hsc, he gets 70%, then that means your school exams are easy, and you won't be keeping your 100%.

There's lots of variables involved. In the simplest terms, you come first at your school and you think you're good etc etc. That's alright if you goto an ok school. But if you goto a below average school, then they'll still pull you down. How much they pull will depend on your hsc exam mark and their marks.

However, the system is still fair. If you do well in your hsc, you can still get very high uai. eg. ino someone from a school ranked around 70th who got 99.95
So it's not like your doomed.

blazezs

Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-
like i said, if ur ranked near the top, then ur skool wont pull u down much.
so if ur number one, there's no one infront of you to pull you down. However it still depends a little on how hard your school exams are. Like if you always get 100% and the next best guy gets 98%. But in the hsc, he gets 70%, then that means your school exams are easy, and you won't be keeping your 100%.

There's lots of variables involved. In the simplest terms, you come first at your school and you think you're good etc etc. That's alright if you goto an ok school. But if you goto a below average school, then they'll still pull you down. How much they pull will depend on your hsc exam mark and their marks.

However, the system is still fair. If you do well in your hsc, you can still get very high uai. eg. ino someone from a school ranked around 70th who got 99.95
So it's not like your doomed.
Thats a relieve, our school always gives out HARD exams, espcially in standard english, it nearly impossible to get 100%....

The exams are to tough its nearly impossible for anyone to get into the 100's :mad1:

Which i think is good, this gives us the chance to develop our skills. I personal believe those school which gives out HARD exams are those schools which has more chance of it's students getting higher HSC marks thus UAI :)

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I think one of the biggest differences a school makes is how competitive it is...if you are topping your subjects at a fairly average school, you'll probably relax a bit, but if you were performing the same way at a seletive school, you'd be motivated to work harder cos you wouldn't be at the top anymore.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Butterfly_Wings has outlined the only real difference made by the school you attend.

Malachite was correct regarding the other issues.

Just to clarify -
Originally posted by blazezs
like say you get the same HSC mark as another person, but that other person goes to a selective school while the other a public school that doesn't go too well.
The HSC mark is average of the aligned exam mark and the moderated assessment mark. Only your moderated assessment mark can be affected by your school - your exam mark is always separate to it. And so a comparison between the HSC marks and UAIs of two students, as a comparison of the schools they attended, makes no sense, because the school's only influence would have already been used up in determining the moderated assessment mark.

Mossad

Lazarus or anyone else who knows what he's talking about: does the margin between students in the internal mark makes any difference?
Is it true that the bigger the margin between for example the first and second in any subject has an effect on the UAI/HSC mark?

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Mossad
Lazarus or anyone else who knows what he's talking about: does the margin between students in the internal mark makes any difference?
Is it true that the bigger the margin between for example the first and second in any subject has an effect on the UAI/HSC mark?
Please refer to Cyph's sticky topic on this.

This question was also asked here, see my reply.

The simplistic answer is that the margin matters.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by natstar
ok what i wana know is that IF u where like soooooooooooo smart and u were heaps smarter than all these ppl who go to ruse and all the selectibe schools, but u lived like no where near a slective school and u had to go to a gay public school, what would happen? This is just a scenario
Then I guess you're shit out of luck.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
ok what i wana know is that IF u where like soooooooooooo smart and u were heaps smarter than all these ppl who go to ruse and all the selectibe schools, but u lived like no where near a slective school and u had to go to a gay public school, what would happen? This is just a scenario
You would be ranked first overall for your school assessments and would therefore be immune to the poor performance of your classmates.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lazarus
You would be ranked first overall for your school assessments and would therefore be immune to the poor performance of your classmates.
Depends ... if the very top people have a bad day, then you aren't that immune! But otherwise, very immune! :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'

Depends ... if the very top people have a bad day, then you aren't that immune! But otherwise, very immune! :)
If you're clearly ranked first (which would exclude being equal first) then you're always completely immune. :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
i know few ppl get uai's of 100, but is there anyway of dertermining who is actually the smartest person in the whole year 12 in the state.
You could determine which student performed best in the HSC by looking at the scaled aggregates of all the students who attained UAIs of 100. The student with the highest aggregate (which I think in 2001 was 498.2 out of a possible 500) would be the one you're looking for.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
wat was spice girl's scaled aggregate? (actually, dont post it here)
but I still can't believe he didnt get 100 with his marks...

Roors

HSC
HEY!!
I'm just wondering, say you go to an average school, and in advanced english all the students are around the top, and i mean when theres only a matter of a few marks, is that good, or bad?
Because last assessment, for advanced i got 90%, but as a ranking that wasnt good, but the top marks were only a matter of .5 or 1 mark difference!

thanksssss

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Roors
I'm just wondering, say you go to an average school, and in advanced english all the students are around the top, and i mean when theres only a matter of a few marks, is that good, or bad?
Generally, it's good - all of the students involved should receive very similar moderated assessment marks (which, if they are the top students, should be reasonably high).

However, it may mean that two (or more) students end up sharing the top ranking, especially if your school viciously rounds off all of your marks before sending them to the Board. This generally isn't a good thing. The top two (or more) exam marks would be averaged to produce the moderated assessment mark for each of the top two (or more) students.

As a sidenote, I think most raw assessment marks are kept to one decimal place.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
So my aggregate from last year would have been. Lets see now..... ok mine was 399., dam on emore mark.

so lets see now, my uai was 75.75, did any1 who got a higher uai get a lower aggregate than me?
Hangon, don't get confused! The aggregate is comprised of scaled marks - you can't just add up all of your HSC marks, because they're not the final scaled ones used by the UAC.

In terms of scaled aggregates, a higher aggregate will always mean a higher (or equal) UAI.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
ohhhhhhhhhhh ok, now im starting to get it. So will i eva fin dout my scaled aggregate? Or those scaled marks? I guess not aye.
Not officially, no. :) It's possible to estimate them, though. I think your scaled aggregate would have been around 300... maybe slightly over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)