UAI estimate please...... (1 Viewer)

blind spirit

ok i go to a selective high school, who does just above average in english, and always does very well in maths, economics, physics and chemistry...
last year we had just under 80% of the year get over 90 uai...
my ranks are
english advanced 90/190
3u maths 100/160
4u maths 95/110
economics 69/90
physics 75/90

i went pretty badly in my assessments but i know i can pick them up, but approximately what am i headed for at the moment

thanks alot......

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I would estimate somewhere between 92-95! :)

But if you improve your rankings, there is no reason why it cant be higher than 95!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Is this Baulkham Hills High?
coz thats a LOT of students!
but yeah, if u improve your ranks so that on average, u are around the top 50% in ur subjects, u should get a UAI close to 95

blind spirit

nah not baukhulk hills.. sydney boys high....

so if im around average ill get 95, but wat happens if i stay where i am?

blind spirit

i mean in top 50%......
but i just wanna know, worst case scenario, i stay on these ranks, what would my uai roughly be......
i'm pretty scared bout this whole uai thing, i like knowing in advance around what i'm headed for and how much i could possibly alter this mark... i mean i still have two assessments left and the trial is pretty huge, i mean anything could really happen to my ranks, up or down, im just hoping i can get off my butt and study and get my ranks towards the top half of the skewl....
but the thing is, fromo my ranks i dont really have a strong subject it seems, just like average ones and slightly bellow average ones..... : (
stupid selective high skewl.
also would a band 4 in advanced elglish totally screw my uai?
and also, i heard that if u got 75 in advanced english last year it got scaled to like 63 or something? is that right?

kini mini

HSC
I would guess mid 80s/low 90s for your UAI if you stay where you are. I know this is less optimistic than others, but we all have to make some sort of judgment of your school ranks and that's mine.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Actually after lookin' closely at those ranks ... and High School ... I am more inclined to agree with Kini Mini and Cyph! Sorry!

blind spirit

woops i screwed my ranks they r
english advanced 90/190
3u maths 93/160
4u maths 95/110
economics 69/90
physics 68/100

why the sudden drop in like ten marks because of my high school?
i thought we did relatively well?
usually top 10 skewls in nsw, if not top 10 for sure......

blind spirit

top 5 if not top 10 sorry......
are you guys just guessing off the top of your heads here with these predictions? or is there any mathematical, statistical or even research analysis?

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by blind spirit
top 5 if not top 10 sorry......
are you guys just guessing off the top of your heads here with these predictions? or is there any mathematical, statistical or even research analysis?
FWIW I guessed your school from your first post, it's the description of your school invariably given by alumni and current students!

We are guessing, as natstar and Cyph said, with reference to experience and a judgment of the meaning of your ranks.

Elaborating on what Cyph said, we don't really have an idea of the profile of the candidature in each subject at your school. For instance, I have a very good idea of the typical profile at Grammar because I went there, I know that it tends to consist of a bunch at the top then drops off. This reflects the fact that Grammar is a comprehensive school that attracts top students with scholarships and bursaries. Your school had a selective year 7 intake, but as we all know it's quite difficult to gauge someone's academic potential at the age of 11 or 12. There are also many other factors that may affect someone's academic progress, their work ethic for example.

In the end, I prefer to be conservative and give you a mid-80s maximum because your ranks aren't that fantastic.

blind spirit

ok i understand what your saying..
ill give you the spread.. in english i'm on 30/40, if however i had 35, i would be ranked 80 places better.. the spread is very close, will this spread be a big disadvantage since it is very small?
but towards the tail of the ranks, marks are very low... and approaching very very low.
ummm... for economics, 4u maths, and physics its the same.

where as 3 unit seems to have an even type spread....

so when u say top 50% of my skewl , do u mean be in the top 50% of the rankings, or be better then the mean mark in every subject?

blind spirit

yeh i know how grammar works... have a couple of friends who go there now...
they usually have the cream of the crop, but then again they always have some kids who are just goin there to pass the time away and who go very average and bellow average..
at sydney high there are usually under 10 ppl who just dont want to give it all they've got, but i mean we usually get minimal percentafe of ppl under 80....
thats our principals aim this year.
every1 over 80, and more then 80% of the year over 90.....
*PRESSURE'S ON*

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
so when u say top 50% of my skewl , do u mean be in the top 50% of the rankings, or be better then the mean mark in every subject?
top half of the rankings in each of your subjects
but since the spead is so close, u'll prolly be safe.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
woops i screwed my ranks they r
english advanced 90/190
3u maths 93/160
4u maths 95/110
economics 69/90
physics 68/100

why the sudden drop in like ten marks because of my high school?
i thought we did relatively well?
usually top 10 skewls in nsw, if not top 10 for sure......
I went to North Syd Boys' High ... And considering that our school swould be similar (except in English ... where my school does better :p)! If your Extension 1 and 2 results were instead of around 90s and in about the 30s range, it would greatly help in improving your UAI ... But it depends on how you perform in your Trials and HSC because most of your assessments in total do not count for more than 50% in total (I presume), so your Assessment ranks can still improve (or collapse)!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)