Ext 2 maths - units question (1 Viewer)

Picto

HSC
On my marks sheet, I saw that Ext 1 maths was worth 2 units, and ext 2 maths was worth 2 units also. Since I did not do particularly well in ext 2 maths, and I have 11 units, would they consider ext 2 maths 1 unit and use my ext 1 maths mark for 3 units? Or am I stuck with my somewhat crappy ext 2 mark? Thanks very much for help.

G

gaoOO

SoulSearcher said:
Both only worth 2 units, can't change the unit value of each subject.
they give you an estimate for 2 unit though, so if that was higher than your extension 2 mark, would it be possible to use that estimate for 2 units and take the 1 unit of extension 1 instead?

P

pLuvia

If you do MX2 they totally disregard your 2unit mark. If you MX2 then MX1 and MX2 are both worth two units where as if you only do MX1 then its worth one unit and 2 unit maths is worth two units.

They don't give you an estimate, why would they?

If you do MX2 there's no 2 unit advanced so no to your question gaoOO. They will only consider your MX1 and MX2 marks not your 2 unit mark (which you don't even have)

G

gaoOO

pLuvia said:
If you do MX2 there's no 2 unit advanced so no to your question gaoOO. They will only consider your MX1 and MX2 marks not your 2 unit mark (which you don't even have)
ok then... i think the estimate for 2u is what our school does for us based on our ext1 marks.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Ok I'm lost. Please rephrase the question so we can help you.

Teddy Lee

HSC
this is kinda related, kinda not.

which is better?

doing MX2 and being below average but really good at MX1

or dropping MX2, where MX1 counts for one unit and 2u maths counts, where you're above average.

sorry if that didnt make sense!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I think the latter option may be better. In the latter case, you will excel in all 3 units of your study, whereas in the former case, you will only excel in 2 units of your study.

Bank$

HSC
srry if this has already been answered in this thread but i got lost reading the whole thing.

i am currently doing 12 units inc. EX2 maths, i got a crappy EX1 mark so wat i want to know is - is it possible do really well in my other 8 units and EX2 maths and then as a result not have my EX1 mark count for my UAI (because i do 12 units) ????

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Bank$ said:
srry if this has already been answered in this thread but i got lost reading the whole thing.

i am currently doing 12 units inc. EX2 maths, i got a crappy EX1 mark so wat i want to know is - is it possible do really well in my other 8 units and EX2 maths and then as a result not have my EX1 mark count for my UAI (because i do 12 units) ????
Yes, coz it's ur best 8 units + your 2 best units of English.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Bank$ said:

The answer is Yes. If MX1 is your worst mark then it won't contribute to your UAI calculation.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
I was also told that MX2 is scaled on your perfomance of MX1. Hope this makes sense and is this true? Thanks.

G

gaoOO

SoulSearcher said:
I'm pretty sure that MX2 and MX1 are scaled independantly of each other.
really? i was under the impression that how well MX2 scales was dependent on how well the MX2 cohort does compared to the MX1 cohort on the X1 paper. :confused:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
dr baby beanie said:
I was also told that MX2 is scaled on your perfomance of MX1. Hope this makes sense and is this true? Thanks.
I read about that as well, not sure but either way it's always better to be doing well in both ext 1 and 2. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)