'Belonging' or 'Not Belonging' creative writing ideas.. (1 Viewer)

lollyxb

HSC
I'm doing Standard English and I really need ideas for a piece of creative writing! I am the MOST uncreative person alive. The only points I can come up with for belonging/not belonging are:
+ appearance
+ school groups
+ religion

I need to write about something that isn’t too cliché, and something that will stand out for markers.
HELP!

--Lauren

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
+ appearance
+ school groups
+ religion
Can you try to relate to something about your unique past? Immigrant? Convict? Loss of family? Family problems? Illness?

Something unique should do.

Last edited:

silentdreamer

HSC
doing a belonging creative based solely on appearance won't let you write a story that will get you a good mark imo, it's quite a superficial topic that will be hard to go in depth with. and also stay away from school groups as well, it's extremely overdone and teachers really don't like it.

have you tried looking through the belong creative writing ideas thread in the english section? you could also draw inspiration from movies and books and things you've noticed in your daily life.

Sammy2011

HSC
Think of anything, really. If it helps, my creative writing was about a girl who was born out of rape. Born into a family that never truly wanted her, that blames her for a sin that wasn't hers, yet is plastered on her skin. In this way it transgressed the ideal preconceived idea of what a family should provide. It always got top marks.

stillthinkin

HSC
Write what you know, markers can tell when you bullshit about things that you have no idea about. The best stories come from something within your own life, experiences, stories or whatever. The simpler the better.

thisiswar

HSC
Don't write something like a girl trying fit in with the "popular" group or immigrants fitting into a country. Think belonging = attachment to a thing or place as well as to people. E.g. you can talk about one's strong sense of belonging to a place (e.g. a garden, a room in the house...make it specific) and then kind of give some background on why this person is attached to this place (e.g. because they use to go there with their close friend/relative etc...)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Remember: It doesn't need to be literal - it doesn't need to be like - "I moved to a new school - must find new friends". It could be like say asylum seekers - "I left my country, my friends, my home the relaxing and refreshing culture it gave me. My family and I were escaping one of the most unfortunately countries..."

SpreadTheWord

HSC
A word of advice, considering it was on places this year, i would avoid doing one on places, because it is unlikely to come up again. But wow, your preparing creative writing now. I did mine 3 weeks before the exam.

Bobbo1

HSC
I would definitely say write about YOU and your own life - i'm sure your first excuse is nothing happens in your life, but think outside the box and you will come up with a good idea!

I would say just lock yourself in a room, grab yourself a piece of paper and then start writing about anything even if you think the story won't go anywhere. Then come back the next day and read over the written piece of paper and this should trigger a story in your mind which you can work with. Remember I'd say most of the marks in your creative comes from unique and original ideas more than how literate you are. As a suggestion, try these ideas (again, this may be cliched but if you can give it a good twist it WILL work):
-Migrating from another country --> belonging or not dis-belonging in the new country
-A person getting fired from work
-A person revisiting an old home

Big DON'Ts:
-Stay away from anything school related (i.e. schoolies, new student at school)
-Violence, drugs, crime, sex etc.
-Death (unless it is done in an appropriate manner)
-Waking up from dreams
-Fantasy, science fiction (don't think its worth the words to spend describing elaborate settings)

And remember your creative writing only needs to be around 800-900 words which allows some time for adapting

Last edited:

lollyxb

HSC
Thank you so much! This helped with so much!
Ahh, I’m just stuck with a good twist! Any recommendations? :)

--Lauren

lollyxb

HSC
That’s exactly what my teacher has told me to do. But the problem is I have a normal life, nothing is unique! I could possibly write about living in a large town and then moving to a smaller one.. But this year’s HSC was about 'belonging to a place' which is really unlikely to appear the following year :(

This sucks so much! I don't have any creative bones in my body.

--Lauren

Bobbo1

HSC
As i said above, no matter how 'boring' you think your life is, there is something there which people want to know and read about, try thinking outside the box - maybe a funny random cousin you have or some place which you visited when you were younger

caralouise_x

HSC
Think of anything, really. If it helps, my creative writing was about a girl who was born out of rape. Born into a family that never truly wanted her, that blames her for a sin that wasn't hers, yet is plastered on her skin. In this way it transgressed the ideal preconceived idea of what a family should provide. It always got top marks.

Hey, I was just trying to fill up my story bank, with a collection of different pieces and I was very interested in yours, would I be able to have a red or a copy of it ?

planino

HSC
Rubric: People, places, groups, communities, larger world, belonging through time

Hopefully this'll provide a scaffold at least before you worry about the nitty gritty bits

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)