• No, but I wish I could

Votes: 56 19.4%

• Total voters

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
How many of you play the piano?

Were you forced like your parents (like I was)?

Do you still play?

I was forced to play, like most Asian kids, when I was in primary school. After that, I sort of liked it, but I kinda went off it cos I hated practising songs I didn't really like. I quit in year 10, I felt a bit bad though...

But now I'm getting back into it. I play mostly modern stuff though, cos it's a bit hard to learn how to play classical music without a teacher. E.g., I tried to learn how to play "Moonlight Sonata", but I can't get it right.

I use music as a stress relieve now...

Anyone else?

toisthbe

Evil Member
long story coming.. dont read if u dont wanna...

anyway, my sister the older more mature smarter one, as asian parent would see.. wanted to learn to play the piano..

so they bought a piano, and said son 'do u want to come to lessons as well?',

i'm like 'fine fine', after half a year, my sister quit, but i was still doin it.. cos i liked it (this was in year 7 by the way)

then 1 year afterwards i quit...
i told my parents i didn't wanna learn anymore, they say 'ok'
but we kept the piano anyway..

now in year 12, i still play wif it at least twice a week, but i play modernish songs like say 'only hope' and 'greenday', n 'superman',
i hate classic songs..

i do self-learning is wat i call it, and actually i'm making up a song by myself too...pretty cool..

oh yeh, mario theme songs.. ROCK!
i'm not that good so i got easy versions of songs, yes even 'moonlight sonata'...that song is alright..

yeh music does relieve some stress, especialy when u play that sympthony no.5, first movement, that one is on radio atm..

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Hahaha
I have one song that I play to everyone : "Fur Elise"
I play that EVERYWHERE, but it kills me when newbies stuff it up
I can't play any other classical songs

piccaninny

invisible
HSC
i went to music school for 5 years, so i can play piano. At the moment i dont have much time and the instrument, but after hsc i would like to continue playing.

nerdd

i just did 8th grade last year.. i want to keep going but stopped for hsc this yr :p my piano teacher said i wouldn't have time.. which is right. i doubt i'd be able to do LMus right now! gard. but it's much better cause it's just pieces and none of that technical arpeggio, dominant and diminished, and scale crap. hehe. i hated that.

and i'm teaching piano now :)

i love the piano. it's great :D

pompous

ok...well I wasn't forced to play but my mum was always nagging me that I should. I started when I was six and only quit when my piano teacher moved away about 3 years ago.

After that I took up guitar. I still play the piano sometimes, don't really learn new songs just the ones I was able to memorise like Elton John- Candle in the wind, yellow brick road, can u feel the love tonight. Also I learn't Canon in D thats the only classical song I love. I still play at times when I'm really bored and I'm trying to learn "Brick" by Ben Folds.

I don't really like playing the piano for ppl, I dunno y so when ppl ask me to I just play the intro to "All my life" by KC and Jojo and say thats all I know. Does anyone know how to play the song "Jessie" by Joshua Kadison? I love that song and I wanna learn it before the years over.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah i like the piano, but i want to play modern songs, rather than classical

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
i've played piano for a while now but i've been bludging heaps :p
bludging = being in 8th grade for two years LOL... coz this year i'm mainly focusing on my pieces for music, so my AMEB crap is put on hold.

i love playing it - not for exams though :p pretty much for myself... and i HATE fur elise! lol i used to like it when i was little but now whenever i hear it, i groan and cover my ears. it has a nice melody but it's just... overplayed :p

do you guys think it's stupid to skip 8th grade and go onto amus? since i've already spent so long on 8th grade already?

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
if you spent 2 years on 8th grade why not just do it? it's the last exam you'll have where you don't have worry about whether or not you pass :p

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
i was forced too
i chickened out before my 7th grade exam because i had too much of a workload at school
i wasnt practicing and iw as doing bloody classical for what... since i was 6?
i bloody hate classical like 3 years before i quit... i wanted to do a blues or jazz exam and my parents kept saying no no no no ... i that was then i started to give up piano altogethr. i kidna regret not finsihsing to 8th grade but its SO damn time consuming... an hour MINIMUM a night i was being told.. i was barely getting 1 hour a weekk.. so now my piano is just sitting there collecting dust.. onnly when i'm ina singin mood i open it up and play and sing...
*sigh.. i miss playing so much ...damn hsc

Reactions: x1

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
ahah just like all of u'z
FORCED by an ASIAN parent ahahha

mmm i quit after 8th grade... bleh so much damn effort requred
my teacher sed at least fkn 3 hrs a day.. like no way!!!

mm newaiz i luv playin pop songs on my piano now these days.. at least a few times a month

too much work + internet is too addictive... -.-"

fwuxed

Channeling Ki
HSC
Lmao, I was forced to...i still do grades but I never practice anymore. The only time i practice is like for 10 minutes before i go to my lessons. :D
I just download tons of anime sheet music to play.
Yay anime rocks me. :)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I play occasionally, but I'm not that great at it.

My major piano-playing achievment is being able to play 'Like Spinning Plates'.. I love that song.
While you make pretty speeches, I'm being tossed to the lions..

I wish I knew how to play the Brad Mehldau versions of Exit Music (For A Film) and Paranoid Android.

The last song I learnt how to play on piano (I usually play guitar, and I can play 'No Surprises' on xylophone/glockenspiel) was 'Sunset Studies'. Pretty easy.

nerdd

Originally posted by bubz :D
i've played piano for a while now but i've been bludging heaps :p
bludging = being in 8th grade for two years LOL... coz this year i'm mainly focusing on my pieces for music, so my AMEB crap is put on hold.

i love playing it - not for exams though :p pretty much for myself... and i HATE fur elise! lol i used to like it when i was little but now whenever i hear it, i groan and cover my ears. it has a nice melody but it's just... overplayed :p

do you guys think it's stupid to skip 8th grade and go onto amus? since i've already spent so long on 8th grade already?

I SO AGREE. fur elise is so annoying now.. (no offence to anyone). it seems to me that people who play that song are trying to show off just because it's popular but really it's equivalent to about 3rd grade? it's easy to play (i'm not trying to sound mean btw :p)

and bubz, don't skip to amus! just do 8th grade. i've contemplated doing it again cause I did it last yr and only got B. lol. I wanted A - i've got As all the time! and i just was REALLY lazy last yr when i did 8th grade. but nah, just finish 8th grade. i still haven't done the theory exam for it so i haven't got my certificate yet! :/

i want to do amus after.. no technical crap anymore!

Reactions: x1

fwuxed

Channeling Ki
HSC
i've been on 8th for 2 years too
that's what i get for not doing any work
haha

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
no technical crap for amus? wht do you mean?
and kids, go listen to some rachmaninoff.. you just need to be exposed to good classical music. mozart and chopin are soooooooo overrated mainstream stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)