Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Philosophy

HSC
    The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reason"...
    ...speaking of paradoxes does anyone know any really interesting ones? If God can do anything could God create [insert object here] so big/deep/hard/long/difficult etc. that even he couldn't [insert activity here? is a bit lame
    I have one: a library has its books catalogued into two volumes based on whether the books are self-refernced. One book is titled "self-refernced" the other "non-self-referned." Which volume does the book titled "non-self-refernced" go? Seems simple... its not.
    Bach. Chem eng/comm at UNSW

Mohammed was a paedophile Calculon's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A
    Originally posted by Zarathustra
    ...speaking of paradoxes does anyone know any really interesting ones? If God can do anything could God create [insert object here] so big/deep/hard/long/difficult etc. that even he couldn't [insert activity here? is a bit lame
    I have one: a library has its books catalogued into two volumes based on whether the books are self-refernced. One book is titled "self-refernced" the other "non-self-referned." Which volume does the book titled "non-self-refernced" go? Seems simple... its not.
    Well the title of the book is obviopusly a lie :. self referenced
    If some cunt can fuck something up that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up because that cunt's a cunt - Tucker's Law

HSC
    If it is self-referenced then it would be in the self referenced volume, not the non-self-referenced volume. This would then mean it is not self-referenced hence it would be removed from the volume, this would then repeat ad infinitum

Calculatortron how can the title of a book be a lie? It is the title, a title can be anything - it is not a lie goddamnit.

HSC
    Oh wait.... did I mention the books titled 'self-referenced' and 'non-self-referenced' were the two volumes as well - whoops

HSC
    N/A
    Originally posted by Zarathustra
    Oh wait.... did I mention the books titled 'self-referenced' and 'non-self-referenced' were the two volumes as well - whoops
    Originally posted by nickyazn
    You got owned, owned by your own stupidity
    If some cunt can fuck something up that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up because that cunt's a cunt - Tucker's Law

just wondering seeing as calculon managed to bring her up again,

did she got banned?

HSC
    N/A
    Nah, she just left when she finally realised that nobody liked her

HSC
    For those of you seriously into philosophy you should go check out:
    http://forums.philosophyforums.com

HSC

CARTESIAN DUALISM vs. EVERYONE

just wondering, does anyone here know any strong arguments for the viability of descartes' cartesian dualism cos at the moment i've got 0.
    B Psychology @ UNSW: 3rd year. i'm getting old :mad1:

HSC
    http://eserver.org/philosophy/ zarathustra check it out, there are some interesting philosophical discourses here...once you've read the heavy stuff check out the answer to the old saga of "why the chicken crossed the road" (http://eserver.org/philosophy/chicken.txt)
    Last edited by fi_babezy; 1 May 2004 at 9:05 PM.

HSC
    The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Status: Fine --- -- 50% -- Alias: [ŋ]ö7ö®ìöû§
    Originally posted by PacifistWarrior
    I was wondering if anyone else had an interest in philosophy? Are you interested in any specific branches?

Got any good philosophical questions for others to ponder (and reply to)?
    Please refer to my thread on 1984 - George Orwell in the reading room. I have posted a rather lengthy philosiphy there that may enlighten you.
    NSW UAI : 97.55
    Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Law at UTS - Second Year

Quote Originally Posted by Not-That-Bright
    Be quiet george orwell.

For those of you doing philosophy in UNI, could you please provide an insight into what it's like. I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but since it's still about philosophy...thanks in advance.

HSC
    Marxism is my creed. After all, religion as a philosophy is the opiate of the people.
    Bachelor of Liberal Studies at USYD

Class of 2004

UAI: 91.65

HSC
    --Could God make an ocean so deep that even HE would drown in it?
    --Could God build a prison so strong that even HE could not break free?
    from a theologicl perspective...God will not do anything which contradicts His nature...

HSC
    Philosiphy is very very broad, very interesting and makes u tick and ponder real hard anyway heres a few recommendations

Thomas Aquainas - summa theologica - thological (all about god and life)
    Communist Manifesto - Political and economics
    George Orwell - political and economics
    Jean Paul Sartre works - existentialism
    Aristotle - metaphysics

And of course the movie "End of Evangelion" enough heavy stuff to blow u mind up on metaphysics and spiritualiy and meaning of life

These works are very heavy to deal with and very time consuming, its probably worthwile to know the basic idea of their views,
    Last edited by Tabris; 14 Jun 2004 at 3:45 PM.
    B Com LLB (Hons)
    Class of 2009
    Macquarie University

HSC
    Will "End of Evangelion" be aired on SBS soon?

Tabris, that list seems very random - what is the theme?
    Any list that excludes Nietzsche andSchopenhauer gets my thumbs down - but NGE has a great philosophical outlook so I will always watch it.

I have yet to read Sartre, which books do you recommend?

HSC
    "No Exit"

http://classics.mit.edu/Aristotle/metaphysics.html

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/

Ther works I read have different broad issues anyway these two are the best. The main theme from Summa theologica is all about God, his world, our world, the basic principles of life and some answers to life itself. Aristotle however, is abit the same, talking about areas such as Wisdom, human nature etc.

BTW End of Eva, half of the movie is nearly all talk based upon the different works and schools of philosiphy
    B Com LLB (Hons)
    Class of 2009
    Macquarie University

HSC
    http://www.geocities.com/thenietzschechannel/

I don't want to seem to be disparaging philosophical greats (cabbage heads ) but Aristotle was wrong and Thomas Aquinas simply adapted Aristotles arguments for a Roman Catholic audience. Most of the things that Aristotle thought would be laughable today (e.g the heart is the organ of cognitive function and the brain is to keep the blood cool (I actually believe this ) and the reason why bodies fall towards the centre of the Earth is because the gods want a clean heaven and it would be inconvenient for them to have rubbish).

He did have some great ideas (obviously - he was one of the greatest thinkers of all time) but after 3 thousand years his ideas do seem a tad dated - it was bound to happen

Nietzsche on the other is a philosopher of the future - born posthumously.

What is it about Thomas Aquinas and Aristotle that interest you - are you Catholic - Tabris.

HSC
    Ethics and morality taught in catholicism as well as ethics and virtues from aristotle reflect most of my views and philoisphy, thats all,
    B Com LLB (Hons)
    Class of 2009
    Macquarie University

do u think philsophy is a good course to take? My design teacher had done it, and he said it broadens ur thoughts... i didnt really know what it was..but now i do have an idea of it.

Is it a course that will interest lots of ppl or should it only be choosen if u have an interest in it? wat do u reakon?? what sorta stuff do u study? and how is it assessed?
    *LeIaRa*

HSC
    Very few philosophy graduates become lecturers (obviously) but quite a few become non-academic philosophers (aka welfare recipients ) - it's mostly valued for broadening your thought (as mentioned by leiara) - and being able to think logically and express yourself well - it is a very handy course to do for all sorts of jobs.

HSC
    Nietzsche is cool. One of the greatest satisfactions is trying to spell his name and getting it right without looking.
    .. i agree with most of his views about Christianity and Jesus, especially from "the antichrist", (although mabye not to such a cycnical degree) and some of the ideas on the Will to Power.
    I dont know much about zarathustra/zoroaster though. or much else, too much to read.

and theres also Kant and some metaphysics every now and then..

When does an object exist and cease to exist?

HSC
    i did a philosophy course this year. mind and morality at sydney uni. well worth it as a summer school course.

it covers morals and ethics. and also what is mind, body, and do you need both to exist. it covered artificial intelligence as well.
    "I think you'll just have to wait for that Loser of the Month Tiara a little while longer while i wear it, with pride, around my neighbourhood!"

HSC
    i have created my own theory called meyerism

its very in my head atm, but this is wat i could put down on paper. the main idea is there etc

comments please, feel free to extrapolate on wat i have laid the foundations for

HSC
    the meyerism sounds interesting...sounds reminiscent of what we learnt in history today: the subjectivity aspects... did you do a thesis for extension history or something?

it's an interesting concept: history does not actually exist, it is created by people. although.. that doesn't quite fit into meyerism.. but.. anyway

i think.. philosophy (as a studied course) is too scientific sometimes. literature(as in, novels, poetry and blah blah) and art come closer than the scientific and methodical formulations of philosophy in trying to describe existence.

i went to a philosophy lecture in the holidays and they discussed the essentialism of art. but it was so.. utterly.... seemingly... pointless. it seemed like they were applying a whole heap of jargon to a concept that could be easily explained and discussed without fanciness.. .. that's just if you philosophy is formally studied though..

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information