Philosophy (1 Viewer)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I take Philosophy as a first year elective @ UNSW.

The course is "PHIL1007 - Knowedge and Reality" and it deals with the basic questions of philsophy, like the meaning of ife. Very interseting.

A question to ponder (from my reading for this week):

How can we know that you and I think the same? Just because we act the same sosn't mean that you and I are thinking in the sae way.
So how can I know that you really think at all?

is a roflcopter
HSC
mclake
do you reckon its possible to sneak into lectures that your not signed up for?
like i wouldnt mind going to a couple of philosphy ones but i dont exactly wana do the assessments :p

:) Good questions McLake *gives thumbs up*.

I think of similar questions when traveling through a city, and I feel as though I'm traveling through a human zoo. All those people thinking about different things, I wonder if they think the same way though.

I was talking to a friend of mine who said he was trying to think in a different way. He wanted to organise his thoughts like a computer screen taskbar, able to open them up at will and then minimise them and come back to them later. These being completely different trains of thought I might add. I have also tried this in the past, but new sensory input flooded it. You need to have a really good memory for this way of thinking to work. I have gotten better at it since, and I find it easier when alone, but I find natural thinking (pathways and linking) much easier. Does anyone think like a computer screen normally?

sei

HSC
Originally posted by McLake
I take Philosophy as a first year elective @ UNSW.

The course is "PHIL1007 - Knowedge and Reality" and it deals with the basic questions of philsophy, like the meaning of ife. Very interseting.
The essence of PHIL1007 is that you can't KNOW anything for certain.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by still ill
existentialism is pretty interesting,
what are peoples thoughts on it?
i think its pretty cool :)
like if u read ceratin plays and books on it.. it starts to make sense.. it adds to the 'feeling' of the book.. deeper meaning.. etc etc....we learnt it in english ..

i find it interesting .. like now i think i havena existentialist reading of texts ! .. >.<

ChangingPants

Ahh yes, philosophy. One that always always has a profound effect on me is contemplation of the concept of existence. Not existentialism, but existence. We know as little about existence as we do about death. Stare at yourself in the mirror sometimes, and try to step outside yourself, look at yourself as though from the eyes of a stranger. It is a momentary sensation when you manage to wrap your mind around something so puzzling as existence and being... it only lasts a split second - perhaps beyond the reach and capabilities of our limited human minds?

I have a question for all of you, and he/she who answers it with justification shall receive my prize.
--Could God make an ocean so deep that even HE would drown in it?
--Could God build a prison so strong that even HE could not break free?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....mmm....

ChangingPants

Oh yes, He is, as inferred from the (mainstream) personification of the entity that is God (eg. in the Simpsons). But yeah, ok, I'll let you pick It/He/She - it's your choice. My personal conception is He, for the sake of not backing down in light of your reply.... and other reasons.

Last edited:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Newbie
mclake
do you reckon its possible to sneak into lectures that your not signed up for?
like i wouldnt mind going to a couple of philosphy ones but i dont exactly wana do the assessments :p
I have a friend who IS sneaking into the PHIL1007 lecures every week, and severla people I know sneak in occasionally. No-one cares. I went to USyd and snuck into to some lectures/tutes with one of my friends ...

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by McLake
I have a friend who IS sneaking into the PHIL1007 lecures every week, and severla people I know sneak in occasionally. No-one cares. I went to USyd and snuck into to some lectures/tutes with one of my friends ...
who would wanna "sneak into lectures"...farout u nerds!!!

^___^
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
unless there are decent chicks in there..
or the lecture is about...

*cough*
adult education...
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by ChangingPants

--Could God make an ocean so deep that even HE would drown in it?
--Could God build a prison so strong that even HE could not break free?
Those are ok questions, but just because an ocean is deep doesn't mean one has to drown, what about good swimmers? Maybe you should have asked can He make an ocean so large (which covers deep, wide and long).

I like the one, can God create a wall that not even He (referring to as he because of common usage) can jump/climb over (similar to the prison one)? If He can then it means He is not omnipotent. If He can not, then He is not omniscient.

Also there is the question of why is there evil in the world? If God was truly omniscient, omnipotent and benevolent why does He let it happen? And for those who say we can't understand the mind/plans of God, how are we supposed to have a close and personal relationship with Him?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
Originally posted by ...
unless there are decent chicks in there..
or the lecture is about...

*cough*
adult education...
:rolleyes:
It's an arts cause, so the male:female ratio is considerably beter than in Software Engineering ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)